• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had 500k, what business would you start ?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

If you wanted to start a business about something you were passionate about and had 500,000 USD in capital, what would you do ?

Best regards

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Political media-consulting firm specializing in applying cognitive psychology and other behavioral science research to the persuasion of voters.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The correct answer, is Image Consultant, right?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd just open a strip club and launder drug money.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I'd just open a strip club and launder drug money.
This would be more successful than most start-ups

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
- Purchase or start a football club in the lower divisions of England or Ireland
- Self publish

I suspect bankruptcy would come a-knocking rather quickly.

BCPilotguy

Reaction score
I'd buy a Tim Horton's frachise in Canada. Incidentally you need 500k to start one. They are a licence to print money up here.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NameBack
Political media-consulting firm specializing in applying cognitive psychology and other behavioral science research to the persuasion of voters.

Are you serious or just mocking the question ?
confused.gif

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt want to give up my job so something that was relatively passive. A bar or bottleshop would fit the bill.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Are you serious or just mocking the question ?
confused.gif

Why wouldn't I be serious?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
- Purchase or start a football club in the lower divisions of England or Ireland

it's that cheap?

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cigar Store/Cigar Bar. not for the profit that I will make (because I probably won't be making much per annum) but for the love of the hobby.

Merlino

Reaction score
Before my current job, I worked as a barista for 6 years. As a passion project, I would start a decent espresso bar since there are none in the town I live in. I'd model it after some of my favourite Italian bars. As a business man, I see there's little money to be made in such a venture.

BTW you wouldn't really need half a million for such ventures, if you come up with a good business plan the bank will supply about 60-70% of your startup capital here in The Netherlands. But you will be needing collateral, though. I'd put 150K in myself, get the bank to invest 350K and put the other 350K I'd have left in Dutch gov.bonds that the bank would get as collateral while I'd still be receiving the coupons on those bonds. Yes, I'd be paying more interest on the loan than I'd be getting on the coupons but that interest is tax deductible.

Monaco

Reaction score
Farm

When inflation skyrockets the prices of food, local farmers will be rich.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Food inflation is already at 17% in India but even more than the farmers its the middlemen/wholesalers who are making money by hoarding etc. There are daily raids on the middlemen by the authorities because around 10 years onion prices skyrocketed just before a state election and the ruling party was defeated . Many say that the onion prices was the main reason why they lost power.

India is also requesting Pakistan to send onions and if Pakistan does not permit export of food to India, there is talk of India not allowing other Pakistani goods to India

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads