• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this setup work? Friend says No - Green socks. Burgundy shoes. Navy Blue suit.

JamesK

Reaction score
Hello All,

First time poster here, I'm new to this whole world of style (very new, still trying to find it!). Being single after 14 years has been the impetus for my change so I'm looking for help.

After my friend took this picture he promptly said the socks DONT work. I should either match the socks to the color of my pants or the lining of my jacket - ie hot pinkish in this case.

Thoughts?

p1000754custom.jpg

Daseinflaw

Reaction score
I like the suit, but I'm not too fond of the socks. But please, refrain from the hot-pink socks to match the jacket lining.

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Minus the tie, I like this look very much. Who makes those shoes?

+1

Pants seem a bit shimmery but I'm guessing that's the lighting

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were the socks picking up the color from the tie (I would substitute a green tie for the yellow, rather than having blazing yellow socks) I could see the look working better, but, as it is, the green socks bear no real relationship to anything else that you're wearing.

Otherwise, welcome from another newbie, and be not afraid - the locals don't bite - often - and they've all had their shots
devil.gif

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upr_crust
Were the socks picking up the color from the tie (I would substitute a green tie for the yellow, rather than having blazing yellow socks) I could see the look working better, but, as it is, the green socks bear no real relationship to anything else that you're wearing.

Otherwise, welcome from another newbie, and be not afraid - the locals don't bite - often - and they've all had their shots
devil.gif

But do you really count as a newbie when you have over 2200 posts at AAAC?

And to stay on topic, I think the pants/socks/shoes in the OP work fine, although I do agree that the overall look would probably work better with a tie with a complimentary color.

thestyleguyGQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
A businessman matches his socks to his trousers, but a gentleman matches his socks to his mood.

You can really do whatever you want but you need to be able to pull things off
boxing[1].gif
boxing[1].gif
; its a personality thing

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
The green socks pick up some of the warmth of the shoe. I have no issues there. I'm not wild about the tie though.
Originally Posted by DorianGrey
I like it. Wear it well.
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Minus the tie, I like this look very much. Who makes those shoes?
Originally Posted by Srynerson
And to stay on topic, I think the pants/socks/shoes in the OP work fine, although I do agree that the overall look would probably work better with a tie with a complimentary color.
I agree with these. It's a nice combo, and you wear it well. That said, I'll echo the sentiment that the tie isn't very attractive.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP: socks would be fine, but the whole burgundy (?) shoes, green socks, yellow tie things is a little off. One of them needs to change, probably the tie.

Also matching the suit lining would just be odd.

Originally Posted by Style Guru
I'd say No. I'd also wear black shoes with that outfit.

Heretic! Burn him!

Seriously, you don't need to wear black shoes with a navy suit. The groupthink here hates that concept.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have olive green socks, they do not venture into the dandy or sartorialist-wannabe territory. they are just another muted dark color. looks fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads