• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on this Coat

emc894

Reaction score
What do you think of this coat for everyday work wear in the NYC winter in the finance industry? I did a search and could not see it mentioned. I think it looks great. Maybe a little short. It is around $900 so it is not inexpensive. Does anyone have any experience with the brand crombie? "This gentleman's coat is fly-fronted, a tad shorter than our covert, with darting for shape, horizontal side pockets and a velvet collar. Here it is in hard-wearing melton * Length 100 cm (about 39 inches) * Pure wool melton * Fly-front * Crombie laser-etched real horn buttons" It also has a velvet collar. http://www.crombie.co.uk/coats/mens/...3d-1-2379.html
a283d_1.jpg

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crombie's clothing is just awful quality wise. I'd advise you to steer well clear.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Stricly on design it looks like a normal, acceptable overcoat to wear with a suit anywhere in any industry.

I have no clue if it's good quality or worth the price though. Well out of my price range but looks nice.

emc894

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Crombie's clothing is just awful quality wise. I'd advise you to steer well clear.

Thanks. Are there any brands I should be looking for to find a similar coat in the same price range (or less, preferably)?

For what its worth, I think Brooks Brothers and similar companies are kind of boring and really like the style of this one. I like Paul Stuart's style also but I won't/can't pay $1,500 for a coat.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say yes if it had peak lapels. It does look nice as it is. I have never heard of crombie or it's reputation for quality, however.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emc894
Thanks. Are there any brands I should be looking for to find a similar coat in the same price range (or less, preferably)? For what its worth, I think Brooks Brothers and similar companies are kind of boring and really like the style of this one. I like Paul Stuart's style also but I won't/can't pay $1,500 for a coat.
I would get this instead http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

GBer

Reaction score
More info about job is needed. High (I-bank/ hedge fund/ PE) or low (accounting for small company) finance? Back office or client facing? And how much do you travel for work?

MaxH

Reaction score
I bought a Crombie raincoat last year in the sales - not the one shown in the coats section on their website at the moment - a knee length fly-fronted raincoat with a detachable inner lining, classic fitting so rather boxy. I don't have any quality issues with it except one inside pocket button was not attached correctly. The lining is synthetic and doesn't have a check pattern on it like Aquascutum or Burberry ones - but was less expensive than those brands and I didn't want a raincoat that proclaimed its brand identity the way Aquascutum and Burberry's do. A couple of colleagues remarked on it being a nice coat without knowing where I'd got it. It's not outstanding, but a good step better than the usual British high street stores would sell.

I don't know why Ich_Dien says the quality of Crombie clothing is just awful. There's nothing very special about Crombie quality from what I've seen so maybe just poor value for the price. I agree the coat you are looking at seems a little short, and I'd be surprised if you could not get something similar or better in New York for the money and I assume you'd have to pay shipping.

Max

.Kurtz.

Reaction score
I'm aware that Hackett is not highly appraised here but, in that style, I own an overcoat which I'm really fond of. Quality is just fine and the fit is great (provided you're minimally slender).

Hackett Smithfield Classic Coat:

M40115040_470_01_504_540.jpg

M40115040_470_02_504_540.jpg

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by .Kurtz.
Hackett Smithfield Classic Coat:

Oh man, I have what I think is the exact same coat and I love it. Very flattering cut. I wear it in a slightly more American style after having the lapels re-pressed to the second button. I took a chance on it and it turned out to be one of my favourite coats.

mech IFR

Reaction score
Oh man, I have what I think is the exact same coat and I love it. Very flattering cut. I wear it in a slightly more American style after having the lapels re-pressed to the second button. I took a chance on it and it turned out to be one of my favourite coats.
Kurtz and Unrefinery - where would I find a similar coat (the Hackett Classic) in the States? I've been looking for an overcoat like that for some time now!

emc894

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
More info about job is needed. High (I-bank/ hedge fund/ PE) or low (accounting for small company) finance? Back office or client facing? And how much do you travel for work?
Ibank analyst at bulge bracket firm. Not much client facing but definite chance there of some, almost zero travel. The MD's at my bank regularly wear olive Barbour jackets over their suits to and from work.

sellahi22

Reaction score
I don't like short overcoats. Doesn't need to go down to your ankles, but a couple inches below the knee would be infinitely better than mid-thigh.

emc894

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alcool
Not ENTIRELY the same... but the price is right, and available in fawn/charcoal as well. Perhaps someone else can comment on the quality of this coat?? http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/Navy--cove...V|||||||||||||
I actually tried it on at the CT store on Madison. It fit too snugly for me personally (5'10" 175lbs fairly broad size 42) and the quality was below my target (probably good for the money however).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads