• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo Boss is crapola

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Why all the sudden love for Hugo Boss? These suits are crap, and much better can be found at this price point. Stop trying to convince yourself you made a good buy.

Maybe not everyone can afford Brioni but you can certainly afford Hickey Freeman on sale. Stop buying garbage.

I hope you are being specific to suits Harvey.
Boss BLACK are ok (yes yes fused) but with care they will last a long enough time.
Now...as far as retail is concerned...very little anywhere of any make is worth retail, so lets be fair.
I have BOSS coats, shirts, suits, shoes, etc...and never had a single problem.
Their shirts are on par with a lot of other makes at the same price point.

I wish people on this forum would grow up and make an effort to form more graceful sentences,
and since that isn't going to happen, we will have endless and needless debating. Sad really.
I suggest someone start a clothing nightmare threak.
What ever the brand, and photos must accompany the story, or it didn't happen.

tone76

Reaction score
I once thrifted an old school (late 1980s-early 1990s?) HB wool SB overcoat from a yard sale for $5. Still in excellent condition. Looks classic and is excellent for commuting to work on the bus in the middle of winter. That said, I'm not entirely convinced of HB's new products. Given that HB is one of the brands coveted by male brand whores in my part of the world, that's another reason why I wouldn't go out my way for HB ... but if I find a deal that's too good to pass up by way of happy accident, then so be it.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Boss BLACK are ok (yes yes fused) but with care they will last a long enough time.
Now...as far as retail is concerned...very little anywhere of any make is worth retail, so lets be fair.

I wish people on this forum would grow up and make an effort to form more graceful sentences,
and since that isn't going to happen, we will have endless and needless debating. Sad really.

I like your point of view. Balanced perspective.

For me, Hugo is not great, but the average person should not come out with great hatred for Hugo but then apply glowing praise for the likes of D&G, Prada, and various other fashion labels - such a person would be calling themselves a hypocrite. Hugo are fine when placed in proper context, and the context should be not comparing them with finely tailored bespoke items. A dress shirt by them is only 100bucks, a heck of a lot cheaper than most other fashion labels. Quality wise they are not much that much worse at all. Where Hugo fall down is on their suits, not so much their quality (which is fairly moderate/generic), but the price.

GBer

Reaction score
One word: fused

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Guru
But Bose makes great speakers.

In the latest sign of the coming apocalypse we have this.

Next we will hear how McDonalds is the greatest food ever served.

How Depends are a good option if you're short of time.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
In the latest sign of the coming apocalypse we have this.

Next we will hear how McDonalds is the greatest food ever served.

How Depends are a good option if you're short of time.

Have you never had a McDouble?!

hermes man

Reaction score
I don't own anything by Boss but Boss suits and products are sold by top stores like Saks, Bloomingdales etc Now, do you really believe that the experiencd buyers for these places and their more sophisticated customers are going to be swayed just by marketing? Or perhaps you prefer the criticisms of inexperienced teenagers on here who buy their clothes on ebay?
plain.gif

+1

misterfun

Reaction score
Figured I'd add my 2 cents to the controversy.

Like some people here the first suit I bought was a Hugo Boss. Eventually I found styleforum and began to regret this purchase. But in 4 years of wearing it I've gotten nothing but compliments and it's held up extremely well. Obviously the quality doesn't compare to the higher end fully canvassed suits but for the price that I paid (under $300) it was perfect for an entry level suit.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, I was being specific to suits. I will be sure to take pics next time I go shopping.

Owen Meany

Reaction score
I don't own anything by Boss but Boss suits and products are sold by top stores like Saks, Bloomingdales etc Now, do you really believe that the experiencd buyers for these places and their more sophisticated customers are going to be swayed just by marketing? Or perhaps you prefer the criticisms of inexperienced teenagers on here who buy their clothes on ebay?
plain.gif

experienced buyers...and...sophisticated customers (in anything audio) do not buy Bose.....And that is a fact!

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmix1
It's the name. Which would you rather own if you were an uninformed suit buyer. Hickey Freeman or Hugo Boss.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. And by the way... The experienced buyers respond to consumer demand, and consumer demand is about as intelligent and savy as your average rooster without a head. There is such a thing as having more money than taste, and boss have been very good at convincing these people that boss is high end. It should not be a mystery then that the stores, regardless of their own opinions on the quality of the merchandise, stand ready to supply this. If everyone bought based on unbiased guesstimation of what they thought the quality would be like, and this was the only thing that factored in, the notion that popularity would prove quality might have some hold. However, the fact of the matter is that people don't recognize quality and are far from unbiased. They will buy what in their mind holds the greatest value, and this includes emotional attachments to brand names created by association to the right celebrities and the right magazines. Hype creates the illusion of quality, and this illusion creates more hype again.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. A lot of people on here are fashion divas and will find that once in a lifetime deal. Hugo does a solid job, yes they are a bit overpriced but they are gorgeous looking suits although they may not be the best quality. But let's be honest $500 is not that much to spend on a suit if you wear a suit to work daily.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
+1. A lot of people on here are fashion divas and will find that once in a lifetime deal. Hugo does a solid job, yes they are a bit overpriced but they are gorgeous looking suits although they may not be the best quality. But let's be honest $500 is not that much to spend on a suit if you wear a suit to work daily.

500 is not that much to spend, but it is more than 250, which is what I think the quality merits. I don't have a problem with low quality, I just think that whenever you buy a suit it's adviseable to get as much for your money as you can, and unless its selling at 50% discount, that isn't boss. And if you do wear suits to work daily, as opposed to once a year on new years eve, you will be wearing suits out and quality will matter.

That being said, the argument that I do agree with is that it might for some people be fine to go with boss for the sake of expediency. If you are happy being seen in boss quality suits and you don't mind paying the premium over what you'd expect to have to pay for that quality, I have no problem with that. A busy person might not have the time to run around hunting for fit/style he's happy with, so if he's happy with the quality of boss and doesn't mind paying the 250 premium simply as a way of getting a style/fit he knows he likes with zero effort, that's perfectly reasonable. But he should be honest about where the money goes and what he's actually getting for it, so that he can decide in a rational way if it's really worth it. In this case he's paying 250 for the garment, and 250 for the convenience. For some this might be a fair deal, for others it might not.

My personal experience with a boss suit is that the fusing in the chest turned ugly quite soon. Basically looked like bubles developed in the glue-job. I also had a pair of boss shoes that turned very ugly the first time I got caught in the rain with them (well to be honest, only the right one did, that's still a ruined pair). The leather was stretched in a strange way and small wrinkles formed on the outside of the shoe around the heel. Then again I also had a boss messenger bag in black pebblegrain that I was tremendously happy with until it broke. Used it every day for 4-5 years and never a loose stitch or issue with the leather. Carried quite heavy books with it, and in the end the metal ring connecting the strap to the bag just broke from what appears to be metal fatigue. I suppose the metal could have been better quality, but otherwise the leatherwork was good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads