• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket for interview

kyle_n91

Reaction score
Hey I have interviews coming up with employers hiring students for an internship position. I'm a year old post secondary student.

I've never had an interview before of this level of formality, and lack fashion sense, so I'll be needing a lot of advice.

What I have in mind is to work with what a have. A shirt, tie, plain black pants.
I was hoping i could get away with not wearing a suit jacket, since I only have a black one, and I know they aren't appropriate for interviews.

What do you guys think of just shirt, tie, and pants? Too casual? I know its always better to be over dress than under dressed, but at my age, I've never really been exposed to the professional formal environment, so I don't know what is acceptable or not. So i would like your guys' opinion on this. And if it is acceptable, I could save myself the time and money needed for a gray suit jacket.

As well, I'm from Canada and a winter jacket is a necessity. Not sure what kinda jacket would be appropriate to wear with shirt and tie, and black pants (if that's acceptable). I was thinking something like a pea coat?
Can you gusy post some pics of winter jackets that are appropriate? And what color?

And what ever else, etiquette, advice, what I should do, at the interview? Thanks, really nervous
confused.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What kind of internships are you interviewing for? If you're applying to McDonalds or Jiffy Lube then a jacket is not necessary.

kyle_n91

Reaction score
engineering. employers vary from oil/gas giants to local engineering firms

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You need a suit that fits. Charcoal, no pinstripes. White dress shirt. Repp tie. Black plain or captoe shoes.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but nobody will give you permission to dress without a suit to an interview.

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kyle_n91
Wear a jacket (if not a suit). I once had a crappy tele-sales job, pay was 100% commission - trying to sell pay-as-go internet cards to local shops. It was in a small office, on the border of North London. The manager emailed me the day before, saying he had enough candidates; however, I did not check my email. When I turned up, he explained he sent the email and asked how long it took me to get there, I said 1.5 hrs; he took pity and interviewed me. I was wearing a sports jacket, shirt, tie and smart trousers; the other candidate in the office at the time was wearing dark trousers, black shirt with the top two buttons undone and sleeves rolled up and although he was a tie, the knot was level with the second top shirt button. We both seemed like we could do the job, he hired me after some script reading. I did resign four days later.

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A black jacket is better than no suit jacket. Most people (outside of SF) won't notice that the jacket is black, and they're not likely to hold it against you even if they notice. People will notice if you're not wearing a suit jacket, and some might hold it against you. Don't buy a peacoat--buy an overcoat to wear over your suit (not the coat in the link--probably outside of your budget--but something that looks like it): http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/john-w-n...opcoat/3084881 Don't wear scuffed up shoes. Of course black plain toe or captoe balmorals would be optimal, but you should be fine as long as the shoes are at least somewhat formal, not scuffed up, and black. Don't wear anything flashy. Save the french cuff dress shirt (if you own one) for another time. No funky ties, either--as harvey_birdman said, repp tie would be best. Other random things to consider: preferably no facial hair; if facial hair, it should be neatly groomed. It wouldn't hurt to get a (conservative) haircut before your interview, either. Either way, your hair should be neat. Obviously prepare for your interview--research the company, and if you know who your interviewers are ahead of time, research them so you have something to talk about. Practice answers to questions you're likely to be asked (why this company? why should we offer you the position? what is your greatest weakness?, etc.). If you have any piercings or tattoos, keep the tattoos covered and take out the piercings. Firm handshake--don't crush the interviewer's hand, but err on the side of firmness. Don't forget to follow up with a thank you note (e-mail is fine these days, and will get there more quickly). These were just random pieces of advice, you should be able to find a more comprehensive list of job interview tips online.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
You need a suit that fits. Charcoal, no pinstripes. White dress shirt. Repp tie. Black plain or captoe shoes.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but nobody will give you permission to dress without a suit to an interview.

^This. It really depends on the specific culture of the department you are interviewing with, but this is the safest bet.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan
Wear a jacket (if not a suit).

I once had a crappy tele-sales job, pay was 100% commission - trying to sell pay-as-go internet cards to local shops. It was in a small office, on the border of North London.
The manager emailed me the day before, saying he had enough candidates; however, I did not check my email. When I turned up, he explained he sent the email and asked how long it took me to get there, I said 1.5 hrs; he took pity and interviewed me.

I was wearing a sports jacket, shirt, tie and smart trousers; the other candidate in the office at the time was wearing dark trousers, black shirt with the top two buttons undone and sleeves rolled up and although he was a tie, the knot was level with the second top shirt button.
We both seemed like we could do the job, he hired me after some script reading. I did resign four days later.

I have a similar story. I went to interview as for a job as a valet. I went in a sportcoat, trousers and a tie, looking good. Within the first five minutes (the interview was at a bar, and ended up lasting about an hour) he changed the subject, discussing how he needed supervisors/managers. I ended up getting a job I had zero experience for at the time, and about 30% more pay. It's totally worth it. Dress up, and look your best.

ktrp

Reaction score
Where the black jacket, it will be okay.

Before you look for full-time employment, get a blue or charcoal suit.

GBer

Reaction score

For the majors, you need to wear (not where
nest.gif
) a suit. If it's cold, please wear an overcoat, not a peacoat. What you described is far too casual for an interview. Plan ahead, you will need time to trying on all the different suits and alterations to be done. I hope it's not next week you have interviews. As an engineer, you should know something about planning. As you are not an undergrad, some sort of professionalism will be expected.

No blazer!
No black suits!
No french cuffs!
No brown shoes!
No jewelry (earrings, piercings)!
No funny themed ties!
No backpack!
No sweater!
No shirt with strange patterns! Wear solid white!

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, really nervous
confused.gif

I was also extremely nervous when interviewing for jobs while in college. Just know that while confidence can come from many places (i.e. experience, preparation), it also comes from the way you dress. Last thing you want is to walk into an interview environment and feel under dressed and then feel more self-conscious, nervous, etc.. Get a nice charcoal/navy suit that fits and faagggeetabbouuit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads