• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ideal Blazer?

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I'm considering having a blazer made. Standard serge, brass buttons (obvs), but aside from that I'm not sure which details are desirable. I'm thinking
- double vents
- working buttonholes
- patchless pockets

And, if I'm feeling ambitious,
- slanted pockets
- ticket pocket

What do you folks think? Are some of these details unnecessarily untraditional? (E.g. working buttonholes)? What features would your ideal blazer have?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3 roll 2.
Natural shoulder.
Hook vent.

I'd pass on the slanted pockets. And unless you're actually planning to use the ticket pocket for something it's a needless and silly detail.

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Shi'ite, I didn't even consider 3 roll 2 - that would be the tradly-awesome approach, of course (combined with hook vents). I agree about the pockets, it was a bit of an affectation on my part.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having one made next weekend. It will be a lightweight cashmere/wool twill. 3 patch pockets, 3 internal pockets, partial lining, horn buttons in brownish tones. Soft shoulder. 3-2 button.

Being bespoke it will come with working button holes. It will be double vents.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3/2 Roll, triple patch pockets, double vented, soft shoulders.

Basically, the SF approved look.
smile.gif

Now, if you want to do a more structured blazer, then I am in favor of the flapped hacking pockets with ticket pocket. I have one like this and I dig it very much.

Mike

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would focus more on fit rather than the details. Your list looks good to me. I would not, however, do a ticket pocket on a blazer. As the name implies, a ticket pocket is for your theater ticket. You would not wear a blazer to the theater (at least I hope not). Slanted pockets are also a bit out of character for a blazer as well. I prefer silver or pewter buttons over horn to give a blazer more of a classic look, but that's just personal preference. Good luck with it and post photos when it's finished.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know it goes against the kool-aid here, but 2 button 3 patch single vent would be my ideal. And I would do changeable buttons so I could switch in brass, horn, and MOP.

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
I would focus more on fit rather than the details. Your list looks good to me. I would not, however, do a ticket pocket on a blazer. As the name implies, a ticket pocket is for your theater ticket. You would not wear a blazer to the theater (at least I hope not). Slanted pockets are also a bit out of character for a blazer as well. I prefer silver or pewter buttons over horn to give a blazer more of a classic look, but that's just personal preference. Good luck with it and post photos when it's finished.

Haha, most opera houses I've been to would regard a blazer and flannels as par for the course, except on opening/closing night. The Viennese Staatsoper is the only exception I could think of.

Originally Posted by js4design
I know it goes against the kool-aid here, but 2 button 3 patch single vent would be my ideal. And I would do changeable buttons so I could switch in brass, horn, and MOP.

Changeable buttons - that sounds interesting. Is that a form of button where you can attach different facings depending on the occasion?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In spite of my earlier post, I still think about getting a double breasted navy blazer with horn buttons. I wore one, with brass buttons, throughout the late 80's until the mid 90's. It was my go-to jacket that I took everywhere on business and for social occasions. There is something elegant and stylish about them. I know they are out-of-favor now (the brass button ones anyway) but one with grey flannels and a tie or jeans and an open collared shirt has a certain look that will never, ever be confused with a Security Guard. Maybe it is that military look or the way it suppresses the waist and tends to accent the shoulders?

I had a friend I met in 1978 who was from London. He owned a social stationery store on Walton Street. The DBBB was about the only jacket he ever wore. He always looked like the perfect gentleman and stylish. I was inspired by him. The last time I saw him, in 2004 he still had the same look and was as well dressed as anyone in The City. A real class act.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have my ideal blazer, a navy blue Fitzgerald from BB with pewter buttons.

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
In spite of my earlier post, I still think about getting a double breasted navy blazer with horn buttons. I wore one, with brass buttons, throughout the late 80's until the mid 90's. It was my go-to jacket that I took everywhere on business and for social occasions. There is something elegant and stylish about them. I know they are out-of-favor now (the brass button ones anyway) but one with grey flannels and a tie or jeans and an open collared shirt has a certain look that will never, ever be confused with a Security Guard. Maybe it is that military look or the way it suppresses the waist and tends to accent the shoulders?

I had a friend I met in 1978 who was from London. He owned a social stationery store on Walton Street. The DBBB was about the only jacket he ever wore. He always looked like the perfect gentleman and stylish. I was inspired by him. The last time I saw him, in 2004 he still had the same look and was as well dressed as anyone in The City. A real class act.

I've also struggled heavily with this. DBs always seemed just to costume-y to me. I'm not a member of any yacht clubs, I've never been in the navy - the whole getup reminds me unpleasantly of Thurston Howell.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having one made next weekend. It will be a lightweight cashmere/wool twill. 3 patch pockets, 3 internal pockets, partial lining, horn buttons in brownish tones. Soft shoulder. 3-2 button.

Depending on the color, 2 patch + welt might be more versatile.

In spite of my earlier post, I still think about getting a double breasted navy blazer with horn buttons.

I think a summer weight blue DB might be my next commission.

ktrp

Reaction score
Blue blazer is likely my next target. Unsure as to whether I'll go more summer weight and half lined or all season.

Probably 2 patch + welt, though I'm not 100% on that.

3 roll 2(.5), double vent.

I like natural shoulders when I see them, but I suspect I'm better off in something structured.

I always thought a ticket pocket was for your train ticket.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by godofcoffee
I've also struggled heavily with this. DBs always seemed just to costume-y to me. I'm not a member of any yacht clubs, I've never been in the navy - the whole getup reminds me unpleasantly of Thurston Howell.
Well, I think if you ditch the hat, ascot and crest you are OK
smile.gif
(BTW: I can't find a single photo of Thurston Howell III in a DBBB. Yet he is always mentioned on SF when DBBB come up. DBBB are getting a bumb rap I tell ya)
thurston-howell.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Depending on the color, 2 patch + welt might be more versatile.

I operate in a casual art and design driven world so a 3 patch is easy to pull off in a sea of T shirts and OCBDs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads