• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

DVS75

Reaction score
The chest measures at 43.7 inches (111 centimeters) with both a shirt and undershirt put on.
Please tell me which suit size of the jacket (suit) I should choose then: 44 or 46?

Thank you very much.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DVS75
The chest measures at 43.7 inches (111 centimeters) with both a shirt and undershirt put on.
Please tell me which suit size of the jacket (suit) I should choose then: 44 or 46?

Thank you very much.

You should really try the suit on in person, especially if it's from a line you've never worn before. A 44 from Brooks is not necessarily the same fit as a 44 from an Italian or English line.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are old Florsheim oxford-ish type shoes always going to be pretty nice? Or has their quality varied over the years? It's just that I see them every single time I hit a thrift store, but never in my size. Wondering if maybe I should start snapping them up to use in the trading thread. Same goes for AE Park Avenues with creases up top and pretty worn-looking soles, I guess.

Surreal

Reaction score
I tried on this black slim fit jacket and it seems to fit really well, which is a huge rarity for my body proportions (very wide shoulders, slim waist).

The hand length is good (at last) and the waist is narrow. The shoulders are broader than on most jackets so they fit my build although you can see a bit of shoulder muscle protruding at the side. I tried jackets with smaller shoulders and they are very uncomfortable when I want to move my arms and looks like they are too small on me. Besides, I might gain some muscle soon, so I think even this is on the boarder.

It's about 180 bucks for the jacket and so far I haven't found anything better and I have been to A LOT of shops. I'm not sure if this jacket goes with pants (suit), but I would buy the set if it does and if the pants are good.

It's cotton.

What do you think? Could I wear this with jeans and in casual settings as well as a suit?

PS: Sorry for the low quality pictures, I couldn't get anything better at the shop. My phone camera is not very good.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surreal
I tried on this black slim fit jacket and it seems to fit really well, which is a huge rarity for my body proportions (very wide shoulders, slim waist).

The hand length is good (at last) and the waist is narrow. The shoulders are broader than on most jackets so they fit my build although you can see a bit of shoulder muscle protruding at the side. I tried jackets with smaller shoulders and they are very uncomfortable when I want to move my arms and looks like they are too small on me. Besides, I might gain some muscle soon, so I think even this is on the boarder.

It's about 180 bucks for the jacket and so far I haven't found anything better and I have been to A LOT of shops. I'm not sure if this jacket goes with pants (suit), but I would buy the set if it does and if the pants are good.

It's cotton.

What do you think? Could I wear this with jeans and in casual settings as well as a suit?

If you like to be up-to-date, then the jacket is OK. It's too short otherwise...meaning no one would wear it in 5 years. A classic fit would go to slightly above 1-2" above the tip of your thumb.

I suggest looking for jackets in your shoulder size then getting the waist taken in. Wool is also much better as a suit jacket material - doesn't show creases as much.

Surreal

Reaction score
Ok I took your advice.

Was trying on some better suits today and here are the pics with tops.

The hands are too short, but they say they can add a couple of cm's. They have a ready tailor.

Otherwise I could only try the blue and gray (last pic).

They will have a dark navy blue model next week and I will try that as well. How is the fit otherwise? Apart form hands of course.

It's wool btw.

Again, sorry for bad pics, couldn't get better quality ones.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surreal
The hands are too short, but they say they can add a couple of cm's. They have a ready tailor.

The sleeves on the striped one are definitely too short, but on all the others they look about right...

zerostyle

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with suit brands that run narrow in the shoulders?

I need the chest size of a 38, but these shoulders usually run 17.5-18.5". I need something more like along the lines of 17" shoulders.

The only brand I'm aware of is Isaia, but they are a little more expensive than I want to pay for.

(I'm hoping I can keep this < $700 or so).

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweater question: I'm 45.5 inches in the chest, 19 inches arm length. What are the ideal sweater measurements for me? I read somewhere that a good fit would be by adding 4 inches to chest size. Shoe question: Should your feet measurements be as close to the insole length and width of the shoes? Example: My feet - 10 inches in length and 4 3/16 inches in width (8EE US). So the ideal shoe for me would be around 10 inches insole and 4 3/16 inches width? Thanks for your help! Edit: I did try looking for answers here/ on google first.

Blamm

Reaction score
Question - is this sacrilege, stupid, or sound -

- I want to add elbow patches to an older sweater of mine with worn elbows
- I thought about leather or corduroy, but think a color compatible tweed could be fantastic
- saw a perfect Harris Tweed sportcoat at the local thrift shop for $10 - doesn't fit, but....

- can I cut patches from the coat for my sweater project?
- and what if anything else can I turn out with the fabric from the coat once I butcher it for the elbow patches? Tie, bow tie, pocket square, couch pillow...???

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon
Should your feet measurements be as close to the insole length and width of the shoes? Example: My feet - 10 inches in length and 4 3/16 inches in width (8EE US). So the ideal shoe for me would be around 10 inches insole and 4 3/16 inches width?
No. You would probably want the width to be close, though I'm not sure how close, but the total length is completely irrelevant; depending on the shape of the last there can be a considerable amount of space in-front of your toes. The only length measurement that might be relevant would be the distance between the heel and the widest part of the shoe, but again I can't say how close you would want this to be to the same measurement on your foot.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
No. You would probably want the width to be close, though I'm not sure how close, but the total length is completely irrelevant; depending on the shape of the last there can be a considerable amount of space in-front of your toes. The only length measurement that might be relevant would be the distance between the heel and the widest part of the shoe, but again I can't say how close you would want this to be to the same measurement on your foot.
First of all, thank you for your reply. I continue to learn new things here every day. But I confess to being confused. If total length is irrelevant then why do most sellers here provide the data? Thus for shoes sales threads one has (for example) Insole length = 11 inches, outer length = 13 inches, width = 3.5 inches etc. Obviously best would be to go buy in the 'real' world. But how would I then buy shoes online in a somewhat reliable manner? I mean I know (or think I know) I am an 8EE - so is that all the info I need or will get?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
from this pic, do the dots on this tie look to be printed or woven ?
vjwb.06620.001_a1.jpg

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon
First of all, thank you for your reply. I continue to learn new things here every day.

But I confess to being confused. If total length is irrelevant then why do most sellers here provide the data? Thus for shoes sales threads one has (for example) Insole length = 11 inches, outer length = 13 inches, width = 3.5 inches etc.

Obviously best would be to go buy in the 'real' world. But how would I then buy shoes online in a somewhat reliable manner? I mean I know (or think I know) I am an 8EE - so is that all the info I need or will get?

This is the paradox. Welcome to the matrix.

You need to be familiar with the various manufacturer's lasts and how you fit in them. For instance, I wear a 10.5D on Alden's Barrie last, a 11D in most of the Allen Edmonds lasts, and a 11.5 in most of the Ferragamo lasts. If you don't try them on, you'll be buying blind. The brannock device can only go so far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads