• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcl

Reaction score
This is the only one I have. Coat fits 40ish. If I were to keep it I would need to have the sleeves taken up as they are pretty long.

112004.jpg

misterfun

Reaction score
Lightning strikes twice... I found this today:

Valextra black pebble grain leather double gusseted briefcase.

A few small marks on the leather and it looks like someone tried hacking at the combo lock with an ice pick
eh.gif
(the combo was still 000). Great condition otherwise though.

DSC_1359.jpg

Valextra_1.jpg

DSC_1366.jpg

951socal

Reaction score
Is this a savile row bespoke piece or? just a license thing?
tieym.jpg

LeeReynolds

Reaction score
The stuff I've found so far has mostly been from the Dillard's clearance center where stuff is 70 to 90 percent off.

I've not found any truly mind-boggling deals yet.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dahl5yankees
I like the nerf machine gun on the last page, I passed on one earlier this month for $25

this one was $22 - the stampede. it's awesome. I got a longshot awhile back for $5.99 and that was even sweeter. still, the stampede is literally the most awesome nerf gun we have - and we have the vulcan too, the belt-fed auto. vulcan = emplacement machinegun, stampede = assault rifle. the only thing that sucks is picking up all the darts... but that's what kids are for!
laugh.gif

oh yeah - even at $25 the stampede is a good deal, they go for more than that on ebay even if it's just the gun body without all the crap that comes with & box - and they're still 40 bucks or more in stores.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mco543

edit: Also found 2 Oxxford tuxedo jackets in size 48, 1 in charcoal plaid and another in light grey plaid that I can pick up if anyone's interested.

crazy.gif
That's my size, and I could use a tuxedo, but plaid? PLAID?!
crazy.gif

note: just to be clear, i'm not interested... but if you find a normal black tux in 48-50 pm me
wink.gif

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
Is this a savile row bespoke piece or? just a license thing?
Not a licence AFAIK, they had an SR address (still do) but produce RTW pieces as well. Nice find though.

mike540

Reaction score
Some personal biz has kept my posting to a minimum but I've been getting out when I can. Was in Toronto a couple of weeks ago, hit 8 stores and didn't buy a thing. I must have been following Frenchy around!
Found a few good things, some of which I'll post, including a great S T Dupont briefcase. Not as nice a find as the Valextra a few posts back but I'd been looking for a nice slim, black briefcase for a year so to find one for $8 was great. A few scratches wich should clean up nicely but otherwise perfect inside and awesome hardware.
duponto.jpg
dupont2.jpg

Cheaney Cliftons for $3. The shoelaces will cost more than that.
colgate.gif

cheaney.jpg

A Cashmere scarf for $3 and Harry Rosen Tilford 100% Cashmere, quilted lining jacket for $35. Both as new and getting nearly daily wear.
samuelsohncoat.jpg

A Zileri sportcoat. Looks a little boxy in the pic but it must be camera angle or the way it's on the hanger as it fits quite well and is fairly slim. $13
zileri.jpg

What appears to be a never worn Zegna suit. I just need to lengthen the pants and sleeves a touch. $50 but well worth it.
zegnaa.jpg

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike540
Some personal biz has kept my posting to a minimum but I've been getting out when I can. Was in Toronto a couple of weeks ago, hit 8 stores and didn't buy a thing. I must have been following Frenchy around!
Found a few good things, some of which I'll post, including a great S T Dupont briefcase. Not as nice a find as the Valextra a few posts back but I'd been looking for a nice slim, black briefcase for a year so to find one for $8 was great. A few scratches wich should clean up nicely but otherwise perfect inside and awesome hardware.

i got this town locked down,trust me..

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seven stores today, some middling finds: BB blazer with LP fabric to sell, very recent Nifty Lyle & Scott for The Old Course at St. Andrew's sweater - probably should have passed but it was too nifty! LL Bean 92% cashmere 8% geelong lambswool - I was standing in the store going "wtf is a geelong?!" before I googled it First Kulhman I've seen - flat front pants. They do seem pretty nice, comparable to Incos and so on. Cable Car Clothiers cord 3/2 jacket for the trads
wink.gif
Zegna jeans... my size. Both pairs I've thrifted have been 40" which is my size with the 2" vanity sizing they seem to use. I actually really like wearing the Zegna jeans, they're more comfortable than some of the trendy stuff out there and don't look like hobo pants or potato sack baggy. Two pairs of vintage wood shoetrees - size 11, my size. Interesting turn-the-knob-to-extend mechanism. $7 each which ma Most interestingly, this tie - which I actually googled to figure out what the heck it was before buying it... little bit of an odd story there apparently. Only the (I think) second Brioni tie I've found locally - now where's the suits?!
IMG_20110115_225636.jpg
Passes - Canali and Pal Zileri 90/10 wool/cashmere sport coats - neither was vented, and both were just too dated-looking - gigantic woven houndstooth type stuff. Interestingly, saw a pair of Florsheim shell tassels with one tassel missing and one side strap broken - it was the same pair I passed on quite some time ago, still collecting dust. Was tempted again to buy them and find someone to make a watch strap... then reminded myself I could just, you know, buy a shell watch strap for what it'd cost me!

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went to half a dozen stores today and came up with nothing but a migraine. Only barely rallied in time for the show I had tickets to tonight.

You can't win 'em all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads