• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ikouja

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrBassie
I know you're asking GS, but I can tell you the For Life's are my favorites. You already have oxblood's so it's up to you as far as wanting a color so close, but the dark red on the For Life's is my favorite DM color that's available now. Also, the leather is a notch above my other DMs. The eyelets aren't the standard black though. I know that bothers some.

Yeah, the eyelets are a little offsetting, but in my head they're just something to tell myself "Look Tim, they ARE a little different, just go ahead and get em'!".
bounce2.gif
Knowing my sorry self, I'll end up getting them... Are they really lose around the leg like other Doc Martens? I'm assuming they are, and the amount of leather between the back seam and the eyelets looks the same as my other Doc's, but I'm still just wondering if they're loose around the ankle. Thanks.
smile.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
In 1970 we had the Windsor Chapter of the Hells Angels come looking for us,because of who we were.

That was their problem!

Southlondongent

Reaction score
I've gotta say I agree with MoM. My folks and their mates were not invovled in PB-ing in the area of West London where they lived. In fact later in the 70's I went with them to Rock against Racism festivals etc. Now I'm not saying they were angels! They were invovled in rucks and went to the seaside on bank holidays and were in trouble with the law etc. I'd like to think this was fair fights against other gangs. However violence and fighting is and always has been a fact of life if you grow up working class.

Also, and I don't want to get too socio-polictal lecturing - the main incidents of PB-ing as I understand it were in the East End or at least started there. This is after Powell's rivers of blood speech and tensions were running high. There has always been incidents of prejedice in the East End - Mosleys blackshirts, Battle of Cable St etc.

Now if Teddy Boys were the main fashion cult in the late 60's this would be associated with them. It's just that at that particular time Skinhead was the look of the majority of working class youth

As far as I am aware that documentary was filmed in East London and it was trying to be sensationlist as the media usually is. 4 or 5 kids were interivewed and were meant to speak for the attitudes of thousands of kids around the country.

Now I'm not going to look at this through rose-tinted glasses and say it didn't go on or wasn't an issue. It might be significant that when skins started receiving press the originals started growing their hair a bit longer and the styles were changing - I've heard this was to avoid trouble from the law and to be able to get a job etc.

It's a shame that this is what tends to be remembered most by a lot of people wheras it was not reflective of all skins who IMO were mainly apolitical (though not adverse to a bit of bovver!)

Lecture over!

DrBassie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ikouja
Yeah, the eyelets are a little offsetting, but in my head they're just something to tell myself "Look Tim, they ARE a little different, just go ahead and get em'!".
bounce2.gif
Knowing my sorry self, I'll end up getting them... Are they really lose around the leg like other Doc Martens? I'm assuming they are, and the amount of leather between the back seam and the eyelets looks the same as my other Doc's, but I'm still just wondering if they're loose around the ankle. Thanks.
smile.gif

At first, I didn't like the eyelets but now they don't bother me. The color is definitely why I went ahead and got them.

They fit like my other regular black pair, but since DM annoys me by not making half sizes (I'm normally a UK 7.5/US8.5) they are a little loose on me at the top. I really wasn't aware if that was because I have to upsize or not.

OHT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southlondongent
I've gotta say I agree with MoM. My folks and their mates were not invovled in PB-ing in the area of West London where they lived. In fact later in the 70's I went with them to Rock against Racism festivals etc. Now I'm not saying they were angels! They were invovled in rucks and went to the seaside on bank holidays and were in trouble with the law etc. I'd like to think this was fair fights against other gangs. However violence and fighting is and always has been a fact of life if you grow up working class. Also, and I don't want to get too socio-polictal lecturing - the main incidents of PB-ing as I understand it were in the East End or at least started there. This is after Powell's rivers of blood speech and tensions were running high. There has always been incidents of prejedice in the East End - Mosleys blackshirts, Battle of Cable St etc. Now if Teddy Boys were the main fashion cult in the late 60's this would be associated with them. It's just that at that particular time Skinhead was the look of the majority of working class youth As far as I am aware that documentary was filmed in East London and it was trying to be sensationlist as the media usually is. 4 or 5 kids were interivewed and were meant to speak for the attitudes of thousands of kids around the country. Now I'm not going to look at this through rose-tinted glasses and say it didn't go on or wasn't an issue. It might be significant that when skins started receiving press the originals started growing their hair a bit longer and the styles were changing - I've heard this was to avoid trouble from the law and to be able to get a job etc. It's a shame that this is what tends to be remembered most by a lot of people wheras it was not reflective of all skins who IMO were mainly apolitical (though not adverse to a bit of bovver!) Lecture over!
Great read. I know racism was a sign in that time so I have this question(help me out SLG,M-o-M,browniecj or any1 knowledgeable): Did any skinheads follow Enoch Powell's way? If so, was it to a small extent or to Full extent? I ask this because I see a few people(We all know who they are) claim that they know/have heard of guys from the late 60s/early 70s who followed Powell's way and would bash ****'s And blacks/Jamaicans. Edit: My 69th post!
smile.gif
I expect to get an Original answer
tongue.gif

C3PLOS

Reaction score
Another question for M-O-M (or anyone else from that time period):

Did you know any one who remained a Mod througout the late '60s/early '70s, or did everyone pretty much morph into the skinhead/suedehead look or drop it altogether?

Just curious if there were people still sporting a Mod look after others moved on. I'm guessing not, since the Mod thing was constantly evolving and changing back then.

-C

Southlondongent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OHT
Great read. I know racism was a sign in that time so I have this question(help me out SLG,M-o-M,browniecj or any1 knowledgeable): Did any skinheads follow Enoch Powell's way? If so, was it to a small extent or to Full extent? I ask this because I see a few people(We all know who they are) claim that they know/have heard of guys from the late 60s/early 70s who followed Powell's way and would bash ****'s And blacks/Jamaicans.

Edit: My 69th post!
smile.gif
I expect to get an Original answer
tongue.gif

Undoubtably there were skinheads with those views - and non-skins, greasers, Teds and no-doubt some hippies as well. There were also skins like my dad who were Trade Unionists, maybe members of the Labour Party etc.

After Powell made his speech in 68 and he was going to be sacked from the govenment some London dockers went on strike in support of him. I've seen footage and some of the younger dockers certainly look like skins. On the other hand many working-class trade unionists marched against this.

I just want to clarify that I am not at all blaming Powell for PB-ing, and from what I know he didn't support violence, but the speech did seem to be a catalyst for a lot of tension (and it still divides opinion). At that time there was an unprecedented amount of immigration into the UK, allied with an economic downturn and a rise in unemployment - this usually results in the same outcome.

Also I don't want to imply that eastenders are any more prejudice than anybody else - I've got many mates who live in East London! It's just that the East End of London was the area where immigrants traditionally settled first - Huguenots in the 18thC, Jews in the 19thC and South Asians in the 20thC - and it was a poor area and therefore there would be more tensions.

Another point to make is that casual racist attitudes were more prevalent and more accepted back then - and this wasn't just the working-class but middle/upper class as well. You can see this in the sit-coms of the time. In fact the point has been made - by Robert Elms and others - that Mods & Skins were the first genaration of British kids to grow up with black contemporaries and to be so influenced by black style and music - and that their parents were probably more prejuduced than them.

The original Skins were into music and clothes - it was a development from Mods. There certainly wasn't any shared political ideology IMO - they were just ordinary working-class kids.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
This thread has really gone from Strength to Strength! some good music talked about in the past few pages.

MoM, "Nothing but a heartache" is also one of, if not #1, fave soul track of mine too!

Tokyo was great, there is a big Oi scene which has kind of degraded over the years IMO, to the point it's like American thug-core now and has gotten pretty removed from any kind of identifiable "skinhead". We did catch a great ska band, very 2 Tone sounding, like a cross between Specials and Madness called The Autocratics. We saw them last time in town and were stoked they were playing this time as well. There were a few skinheads at the show supporting them which was nice to see. Here are a couple snapshots of me at their show and with the band

162761_180782898620297_100000657656728_482283_5008597_n.jpg

163209_180782921953628_100000657656728_482284_3491008_n.jpg

163631_180782941953626_100000657656728_482285_7403488_n.jpg

163841_180782968620290_100000657656728_482286_341126_n.jpg

163061_180782995286954_100000657656728_482287_4597992_n.jpg

164829_180783021953618_100000657656728_482288_4394184_n.jpg

164817_180783058620281_100000657656728_482289_3862302_n.jpg

with keyboardist of Autocratics
164308_180785175286736_100000657656728_482354_6772699_n.jpg

with guitarist of Autocratics
164327_180786598619927_100000657656728_482397_1085754_n.jpg

with singer
162753_180786401953280_100000657656728_482391_8290571_n.jpg

Cleared front of floor just enough to take cheesy TOKYO LOCK N LOLL pose!!
164342_180785498620037_100000657656728_482365_2463577_n.jpg

Southlondongent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ziggy_stardust
First time poster here, 26 y.o. This thread has been a joy to read (yes, I've read/skimmed almost the entire thing).

So- my question: I have this one pair of khaki pants that I love the length now and the way they look pressed, but there's just a little too much material in the thigh- could a tailor take the thighs in to have a slimmer fit?

Don't see why not - I've had it done myself in the past. You just have to be careful that it doesn't put the seat or the knees out of order, or ruin the line of the trouser.

Southlondongent

Reaction score
Welcome back Get Smart... Nice pics - you look sharper than the band of course but that's to be expected!!
laugh.gif

BTW I think you'll find it was me that mentioned 'Nothing but a Heartache'!
wink.gif
laugh.gif

I really dig that video where they're in some sort of ruined abbey - bizarre!
smile.gif

albion

Reaction score
Great pics of the Autocratics there. If they are ever playing down Sydney way, i'll certainly go and see them.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southlondongent
Welcome back Get Smart... Nice pics - you look sharper than the band of course but that's to be expected!!
laugh.gif

BTW I think you'll find it was me that mentioned 'Nothing but a Heartache'!
wink.gif
laugh.gif

I really dig that video where they're in some sort of ruined abbey - bizarre!
smile.gif

ah sorry for the mixup! But yea, I didnt even know they made videos in 1969 so I was surprised to see that too. Personally, tho I love skinhead reggae, I've always preferred soul, as long as it's mid 60s and not later 60s when it started to evolve into funk. (horn section>string section)

that is except when Jim Cox is spinning his "Reggae Train" which makes me want to dance to every track!! I hear he is having a big 60th birthday bash in Feb (?) in east london iirc.

BraveSuede

Reaction score
albion;4012620 said:
Great pics of the Autocratics there. If they are ever playing down Sydney way, i'll certainly go
and see them.
Hi albion just a question are there many skins/suedes in oz still.I have a few mates in perth and brisbane said you get a odd few about.Is there a big scene in sydney?

albion

Reaction score
BraveSuede;4012745 said:
Originally Posted by albion
Great pics of the Autocratics there. If they are ever playing down Sydney way, i'll certainly go and see them. Hi albion just a question are there many skins/suedes in oz still.I have a few mates in perth and brisbane said you get a odd few about.Is there a big scene in sydney?
Hi BraveSuede...I live down the coast from Sydney, and travel up for the odd gig, so i'm not sure if there is any kind of scene. When i went to see the Specials in 2009, i did meet a large amount of ex-pats like myself, getting older and re-discovering "the look", as it were, as it's a look one can easily pull off as you age! I see the odd few around, not very many. There may well be a younger skinhead scene, but i'm unaware of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads