• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oak Street Bootmakers

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
Why is it not a good idea to use Sperry? I think that is a much more pointed observation than "dress shoe size." Most dress shoes run off the brannock, but not all dress shoe sizes are the same - there are hundreds of brands out there. The reason people started talking Sperry sizing is because it is a ubiquitous brand everyone can try on. I've had and tried on many different Sperry boat shoes and they all fit me about the same. If my foot fits perfectly in a Sperry size 9, and someone else's does as well, you can pretty surely assume our feet are about the same size as one another. I actually think this is a much better way to discuss sizing issues than "dress shoe size." The brannock measurement should be a good way to determine sizing, but mine ran big for brannock measurements, as did others that are actively discussing right now. I honestly think picking a brand and discussing sizing in comparison to that brand isn't such a bad idea. I don't see why it is any less accurate than the above stated. Comparing your sizing to sneakers wouldn't work because they are padded and worn with socks, but Sperry, worn sockless, although not anywhere near the quality of these, at least have good quality control and people know their size. I really think the only people weighing in on this should be those who have had these in their possession and tried them on. For a six week wait, you telling people to order their dress shoe size or brannock size could mean a return. Since you are just going off what George said, the same as he told me originally - which didn't work out, I'd say wait until you receive them. Obviously everyone's foot is going to fit a bit different.
because all shoes are made differently. the reason why people refer to dress shoe sizes is because you generally dont find the same variances in sizing as you would find in something like a sneaker, which is all over the map. buying shoes is extremely difficult especially those on-line and especially those you cant see and have to order right the first time. this is why, at least to my understanding, george had the lasts created to match a brannock device so peope could safely order a size and know it will fit. you can certainly go on all you want about x, y, and z brand but i dont think it will help people, especially since most of the guess work is really taken out. does that make sense?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^ If you sized up a half size they would be very loose, I'm a 9 on a brannock and they fit me loose, in my opinion the best thing to do is size a half size down from your brannock size if you are going to wear them sockless - I've tried them on. Do not go down a full size.
i thought you were under a 9 on a brannock. i could have sworn you had 8.75 and 8.8 or something along those lines ... hang on ill find the pm you sent me. plus, I think you have a low-instep or a flat foot because you have sizing issues with yuketen as well. in which case it would make sense you would need to size down ... that goes for all mocs. also, just because you were off by a half size doesnt mean we all are. it gets back to my point about everyone having there own preference on how shoes fit. and like i told you earlier george has only had a handful or people return because of sizing issues ... just because you might have an issue with sizing doesnt mean we all will. this is why it is always better to recommend they go with their measured foot size. do you follow? now, if george had issues with half of his orders then i would make sense to start comparing shoes etc.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
because all shoes are made differently. the reason why people refer to dress shoe sizes is because you generally dont find the same variances in sizing as you would find in something like a sneaker, which is all over the map. buying shoes is extremely difficult especially those on-line and especially those you cant see and have to order right the first time. this is why, at least to my understanding, george had the lasts created to match a brannock device so peope could safely order a size and know it will fit. you can certainly go on all you want about x, y, and z brand but i dont think it will help people, especially since most of the guess work is really taken out. does that make sense?
Not really. It seems like you glanced over what I wrote. Sperry's are not sneakers, I said you shouldn't size from sneakers in my post, I have found that there is little variance in the sizing of Sperry boat shoes, there is more variance in the term "dress shoe size" which includes every brand of dress shoes out there. I don't by any means think "Sperry" is the end game of sizing, I just don't think it is a bad way to size or discuss sizing - as I said a ubiquitous brand that is worn in a similar way (barefoot) and has pretty consistent sizing. Most shoes would claim to fit to a brannock measurement but everyone's foot fits differently, having a brand anyone can relate to isn't such a bad thing. Read: I agree referring to sneakers is all around different and totally useless. You don't have to look through your PM's. I measure a 9 on my left foot and an 8.9 on my right. I have heel slip on both feet. Many people have to size down a half size in Yuks. Several people on this thread have recommended that they went down a half size, not just myself. It's all good, this back and forth is getting silly. I still recommend taking sizing advice from people who own the shoes.

*#..

Reaction score
thanks for the help. everyone has his or her own preference on how shoes fit ... for example, i prefer all of my moc styled shoes to have a 1/4" space between the tip of my big toe and the first row of stitching on the toe of the shoe ... others' might prefer a 1/2," and so forth. the problem is you made a recommendation of going down a full size, which simply wont fit him.

again, again, and again, the best thing for those of you who are on the fence and scratching your head trying to figure out what size is to order is to either measure your foot size or order your dress shoes size. the last's these shoes are built around are true to a brannock device so if you measure a 8.5 on a brannock you will be an 8.5 in oak street ... if you measure a 8.75 on a brannock then you know if you go down to a 8.5 it will be a tad tight and if you go to a 9 it will be just a tad loose.

i think iif the guy went down a full size they just wouldnt fit him.

I remember someone before saying to size down by a whole size, and it would fit like a glove. He's right, but after wearing mine, they'd be too tight in the toebox. I think 1/2" room is great for these shoes, but I agree, I think having 1/4" would have been ideal.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not really. It seems like you glanced over what I wrote. Sperry's are not sneakers, I said you shouldn't size from sneakers in my post, I have found that there is little variance in the sizing of Sperry boat shoes, there is more variance in the term "dress shoe size" which includes every brand of dress shoes out there. I don't by any means think "Sperry" is the end game of sizing, I just don't think it is a bad way to size or discuss sizing - as I said a ubiquitous brand that is worn in a similar way (barefoot) and has pretty consistent sizing. Most shoes would claim to fit to a brannock measurement but everyone's foot fits differently, having a brand anyone can relate to isn't such a bad thing. Read: I agree referring to sneakers is all around different and totally useless.
its still not comparing the same thing. if you to compare your yuketen mocs to your oak street mocs that would be a much better comparison for fit ... does that make sense now?

*#..

Reaction score
well, okay ... sperry's are no moc's then. its still not the same thing.

if you to compare your yuketen mocs to your oak street mocs that would be a much better comparison for fit ... does that make sense now?

I compared them to sperry topsiders because I felt that would help the most amount of people. They're everywhere, and if you don't have have a pair, you can go find one easily. It's an easy frame of reference. I couldn't compare it to a similar moccasin like yuketen, which would be ideal, but I don't have any.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *#..
I remember someone before saying to size down by a whole size, and it would fit like a glove. He's right, but after wearing mine, they'd be too tight in the toebox. I think 1/2" room is great for these shoes, but I agree, I think having 1/4" would have been ideal.

well, i guess you can but i certainly wouldnt. i recently tried on a pair of yuketen's that were a 1/2 size small and there is no way i could have worn them.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
well, okay ... sperry's are no moc's then. its still not the same thing. if you to compare your yuketen mocs to your oak street mocs that would be a much better comparison for fit ... does that make sense now?
It makes sense, obviously that is a better comparison but most people don't own Yuks. I'm not saying it is a good comparison shoe - to shoe. I'm saying that it is a good way to get the idea of how big your foot is, and anyone can try them on or possibly has. As I said, if I wear Sperry size 9 and the Oak Streets in size 9 are too big for me, then someone else who wears Sperry in my same size would have a a pretty good idea that maybe they should size down, because their foot is clearly the same size as mine if they can wear the same brand, same size, same style, comfortably. It's not the idea of the brand compared to the brand, it is the idea of how one's bare foot fits into something in comparison to something else. That's it. And, both me and *#.. are having the same experience in sizing, so I don't see how it isn't helpful.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *#..
I compared them to sperry topsiders because I felt that would help the most amount of people. They're everywhere, and if you don't have have a pair, you can go find one easily. It's an easy frame of reference. I couldn't compare it to a similar moccasin like yuketen, which would be ideal, but I don't have any.
no, i know. i just wanted to make the point that we all have preferences on how shoes fit and it is best, at least in my mind, to order or go about ordering the way the guy who designed these shoes suggested ... thats all
smile.gif

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It makes sense, obviously that is a better comparison but most people don't own Yuks. I'm not saying it is a good comparison shoe - to shoe. I'm saying that it is a good way to get the idea of how big your foot is, and anyone can try them on or possibly has. As I said, if I wear Sperry size 9 and the Oak Streets in size 9 are too big for me, then someone else who wears Sperry in my same size would have a a pretty good idea that maybe they should size down, because their foot is clearly the same size as mine if they can wear the same brand, same size, same style, comfortably. It's not the idea of the brand compared to the brand, it is the idea of how one's bare foot fits into something in comparison to something else. That's it. And, both me and *#.. are having the same experience in sizing, so I don't see how it isn't helpful.
yes, you are very helpful. simply because these shoes are constructed differently from anything else i think we need to be careful with sizing help, especially because we cant try them on in person and because of the wait. i remember several years trying on a pair of boo sperry boat shoes and i took an 8.5 in those, which is what i wear mocs as well ... i fact all of my shoes are 8.5.

dizdsf

Reaction score
whatever123;4010635 said:
yes, you are very helpful. simply because these shoes are constructed differently from anything else i think we need to be careful with sizing help, especially because we cant try them on in person and because of the wait.

Oh but you can try them on in person...if you live in or near Warwick, RI! Did you see that Wharf carries the blue Vibram trail oxfords? I was unaware that any retail stores carry OSBM. Does anyone know of another retail location, or is Wharf it?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^

not that i know of, at least just yet. i am sure they are looking for other retailers, which will make future purchases very nice. the wait isnt all that long relatively speaking, however, sometimes its nice to get things right away.

once you get these shoes you always want more.

rolling green

Reaction score
Whatever you've owned both OS and Yuks. How do you feel they compare fit/finish and style?

JRyder

Reaction score
This has been answered here before, but since I just got my trail mocs with vibram sole, cleaned, polished and put away for the wet winter my country rangers with crepe sole, the answer is on my mind. They are identical in all three categories-fit, finish, and style. Althought I would personally say the Yuks have a little more style than the OC.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rolling green
Whatever you've owned both OS and Yuks. How do you feel they compare fit/finish and style?
yup. they are really very similar. i compared the osb's to my yuketen angler mocs a few pages back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads