• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Pictures

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Just spoke to a friend of Chay's in the UK. This was a purely administrative move, done in order to regain control of the firm after the previous administration in 2009. The company was under administration for two hours. No orders are affected.
confused.gif
laugh.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
confused.gif
laugh.gif

It was legally under the administration of the UK courts for a brief period of time so that briefs could be presented regarding the true ownership. Once the judge was satisfied control of the company was returned to the party determined to be the owner. Any questions?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a problem to me. Good enough to place another order ASAP.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Previous post on pre-packed administration is correct. This will hopefully put AS on a solid footing for success going forward. At the end of the day, shoe makers are manufacturers and cash is king. I wish them all the best and look forward to seeing many new shoes in the future. Things are just starting to get exciting for them.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it confirmed. Their product is about to do great things for their name and reputation.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cameroon
Forgive my ignorance but for anyone reading the last posts in this thread at face value it looks that some people live in some kind of strange world where any AS news is good news.

it looks like if it was revealed that all AS handgrades produced in the last year were found to be contaminated by radiation the same posters would be arguing that radiation cures cancer so it is all ok

Also from these posters it seems AS is a one man operation. Chay this, Chay that; does anyone else work there?

Note: for those that think I am talking bullocks if anything it is ignorance of what is going on- not because I am backing some other manufacturer in the current shoe wars- between AS and central European makers. I couldn't t give a damn as they both seem to be associated with excessive promotion in SF (well the C&J and EG anglophilia is also quite parochial- but at least natural as these are more established firms and American anglophiles dominate the forum

What's your point?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but for anyone reading the last posts in this thread at face value it looks that some people live in some kind of strange world where any AS news is good news.

it looks like if it was revealed that all AS handgrades produced in the last year were found to be contaminated by radiation the same posters would be arguing that radiation cures cancer so it is all ok

Also from these posters it seems AS is a one man operation. Chay this, Chay that; does anyone else work there?

Note: for those that think I am talking bullocks if anything it is ignorance of what is going on- not because I am backing some other manufacturer in the current shoe wars- between AS and central European makers. I couldn't t give a damn as they both seem to be associated with excessive promotion in SF (well the C&J and EG anglophilia is also quite parochial- but at least natural as these are more established firms and American anglophiles dominate the forum

what ?

As long as AS keeps taking orders and delivering them, what happens internally there is their own business.

Macallan

Reaction score
Worst case scenario:
You pay Chay £500 for a pair of MTO shoes, but then AS become in serious financial trouble, even more then they was before; not even the staff prostituting themselves on the streets of Rushden can help them.

Someone will come along, save AS and you get your £500 shoes (maybe some weeks late, but you get your shoes).

I do agree with your opinions on AS, C&J and E&G to an an extent although I do own C&J and EG shoes. AA and SF do push certain brands over others, even when quality is par (i.e. Church's vs C&J); however, this happens in every environment, whether it is Purse Forum or your local pub.

You have to take what is said on the forum with a pinch of salt and in cases, a big pinch of salt.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is either the most naive or most dishonest post I have read in a while

You mean to say that if you have a business which depends on a key supplier, and there is speculation regarding the continuing viability of said supplier, you would remain relaxed about any of that as long as the latest shipment has arrived?

Well your business won't last long.

You would not worry whether said supplier could actually deliver the next shipment or if the quality would continue to be the same right? - furthermore you would not even begin to suspect that maybe the stuff you received in the latest shipments may not be up to scratch- because lets get real, businesses don't go under in a few days- they normally slowly degrade financially accompanied with cost-cutting measures

Yes my friend just send cash ahead to chay or whoever to pay for 500 more pairs to show your confidence

After that I will send you a picture of a nice big bridge which is for sale, and you just need to send cash upfront to a certain PO box

laugh.gif

What do you know that we don't? And how do you know it?

clintonf

Reaction score
That is either the most naive or most dishonest post I have read in a while You mean to say that if you have a business which depends on a key supplier, and there is speculation regarding the continuing viability of said supplier, you would remain relaxed about any of that as long as the latest shipment has arrived? Well your business won’t last long. You would not worry whether said supplier could actually deliver the next shipment or if the quality would continue to be the same right? - furthermore you would not even begin to suspect that maybe the stuff you received in the latest shipments may not be up to scratch- because lets get real, businesses don’t go under in a few days- they normally slowly degrade financially accompanied with cost-cutting measures Yes my friend just send cash ahead to chay or whoever to pay for 500 more pairs to show your confidence After that I will send you a picture of a nice big bridge which is for sale, and you just need to send cash upfront to a certain PO box
laugh.gif

You seem to infer a lot from what was said in previous posts. I don't believe anyone on this thread actually owns a shoe business. So, it is as individuals that we comment. I do have a question for you: Have you purchased any Alfred Sargent shoes recently? Whatever your answer, it should be for customers to "judge" the potential lack of quality that you suggest will happen. If you did a bit of reading around, you will have found that AS have face adversity before and ALL of the shoes on this thread have been made after that difficult time. I urge you to read some of the comments on this thread to get some idea of the "decline in quality". As for calling out someone's name simply because people have commented on his excellent customer service is childish. Perhaps you may "expect" everyone to treat their customers like Chay does. Let me assure you that Chay is unique in his outlook and professionalism. If you want to assume the people here are stupid because they have received the shoes that they've asked for and are happy with the service they've received, it's a matter for you. I doubt that you'll receive anything but distain on this thread. So, if you have facts that can be qualified about the things you suggest are/will happen, please share. If you don't, I suggest that you find another thread to comment upon and leave this one for the Alfred Sargent "Fools" (or stoodges) to comment on. Clint

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on a totally different note; forgive me asking but do you still have the same shoes- links at the bottom- up for sale after all these months or is it a misunderstanding by me?

I mean, I can understand that maybe you are not in a hurry to sell but it is not common to see the same stuff for sale for so long with no on-going price drops. Is it a spider web strategy? Build it and they will come?

PS- at $175 those Paul Stuarts are in need of a big blind drunk fly to come over. good luck

You're obnoxious.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If AS is in financial trouble (I say again, if) then this should not be hidden but discussed in the open as it is relevant. Sure unfounded gossip can sink good companies and so I am all for not disseminating it, but it seems that the facts have occurred before the rumours leaked out so this cannot be invoked

It's not. So all you're doing is blowing smoke.

Originally Posted by Col.Sanders
Had it confirmed to me today that Alfred Sargent & Sons has started the process of liquidation.

The new company is "Sargent Shoes On-line Ltd" which has been registered to the Sargents premises since last june???

Let's just hope some good can come from all of this....

Just spoke to a friend of Chay's in the UK. This was a purely administrative move, done in order to regain control of the firm after the previous administration in 2009. The company was under administration for two hours. No orders are affected.

Originally Posted by Infrasonic
It'll be a pre-pack administration, quite common these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administration_(law)

It was legally under the administration of the UK courts for a brief period of time so that briefs could be presented regarding the true ownership. Once the judge was satisfied control of the company was returned to the party determined to be the owner. Any questions?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on a totally different note; forgive me asking but do you still have the same shoes- links at the bottom- up for sale after all these months or is it a misunderstanding by me?

I mean, I can understand that maybe you are not in a hurry to sell but it is not common to see the same stuff for sale for so long with no on-going price drops. Is it a spider web strategy? Build it and they will come?

PS- at $175 those Paul Stuarts are in need of a big blind drunk fly to come over. good luck

Wow. Nice to meet you too. Actually, the Vass and EG just sold the other day. Sorry you don't like the Paul Stuart shoes. I'll edit my sales post to reflect things. My apologies if my newborn daughter got in the way of me not keeping up on my sales threads for your viewing pleasure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads