• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Purchase Club (January -AND- February 2011)

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
It's been awfully quiet in the last few days.....I hope the rest of you are being good boys.
(Rather suspiciously strong and silent bunch...don't you think?)

Almost too quiet...
patch[1].gif

Today I wore some colorful wool Marcoliani socks for the first time, really nice stuff (I always used to wear cheapo black socks.) For a minute I entertained the notion of buying a few more pairs online, then I realized that would mean I would be kicked out of the NPC club, so it made it easier for me to just put it out of my mind. I find it makes things easier if I'm accountable to someone who can relate.

Plus everyone knows socks are like a gateway drug...
laugh.gif

Gong Tao

Reaction score
TO avoid temptation, I am not going to stores, looking at catalogs, or visiting clothing websites. I imagine most others in the NPC are doing the same. Unfortunately, it doesn't give us much material for discussion.

How about we make bets on who falls off the wagon first? I vote for Fidel.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not only have I note bought anything clothing related, I throw all the catalogs away the moment they come in. And I delete the emails once they arrive. I've made it my new years resolution too.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My finances are messed up right now. Won't have discretionary income until March. So it will be a piece of cake.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, my name is deadly. I am, by many people's accounts, addicted to buying dress clothes. Thanks to this group, I have now been "new clothing" free for almost a whole week! I almost gave in to temptation though on some fantastic ties in B&S thread.

----

Can we turn this thread into a support group?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was really tempted to get a couple sport shirts from the LLBean signature line that were on clearance but held off long enough that my size is no longer available. That's a good way to stop myself from getting something. lol

What I really need to do is use this time of no-buying to also purge my closets of stuff I never wear anymore.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner
What I really need to do is use this time of no-buying to also purge my closets of stuff I never wear anymore.

I already have set aside many items for my upcoming sale on B&S.
For the last several weeks I've been exclusively enjoying my SW&D clothes to give my better clothes a rest. It'll all look new to me when I return to it.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoff Gander
But I do have some Tyrwhitt gift cards from Christmas - if I spent these does it count (it's not my money, technically)?
I don't think it should count since someone else already purchased the gift cards for you, you just have to cash them in. It would suck to wait two months to get your Christmas present.
Originally Posted by Gong Tao
TO avoid temptation, I am not going to stores, looking at catalogs, or visiting clothing websites. I imagine most others in the NPC are doing the same. Unfortunately, it doesn't give us much material for discussion.
I deleted all my clothing sites that are bookmarked. I don't pay much attention to mail/emails I'm getting to clothing stores (usually in the trash pretty quick.) I've still been browsing through B&S and a few clothing websites lately, but it's starting to taper off.
Originally Posted by Gong Tao
How about we make bets on who falls off the wagon first? I vote for Fidel.
bigstar[1].gif
I'm pretty hopeful I can hang in there until March so I can get my finances in order, plus most of the spring merchandise doesn't arrival until then anyways.
devil.gif

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alas, I am no longer the king of my castle, temptation was WAY to strong for me....please shame me....
redx.gif

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something strange has happened. I've gone about two weeks without buying anything, and I feel perfectly fine. If i can spend two weeks like this, why not two months, or two years?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics