• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

ashpool

Reaction score
I wonder is it better to do MBA/JD at my current law school (Dalhousie .... Canada ahem...) or get my JD, work for a while, make some $, and try to get into Harvard/Wharton?

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ashpool
I wonder is it better to do MBA/JD at my current law school (Dalhousie .... Canada ahem...) or get my JD, work for a while, make some $, and try to get into Harvard/Wharton?

What do you think the MBA will add to the JD, outside of being an avenue for a career change/shift into in-house counsel? I think that's what you need to ask yourself.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to know the Quant vs Poet Gmat scores. I`ve been given to understand that the reason for the 700 + averages at tier 1 schools is due to the huge number of people from quant backgrounds applying and getting in.

The scores of the people from non-traditional backgrounds would be interesting.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
I would love to know the Quant vs Poet Gmat scores. I`ve been given to understand that the reason for the 700 + averages at tier 1 schools is due to the huge number of people from quant backgrounds applying and getting in.

The scores of the people from non-traditional backgrounds would be interesting.

Quant is given a lot more weight in the admissions process, if not necessarily in the calculation of total score. A traditional "poet" score (extremely high verbal, middling to low quant) will almost never put someone in contention for a top 10 school, even if the cume is over 700. It's considered too imbalanced a score. On the other hand, an illiterate quant (700+, high quant, low verbal) has a pretty good shot at a top school.

My score was higher on verbal than on quant, but the spread was not dramatic because I am a genius. For your health!

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Quant is given a lot more weight in the admissions process, if not necessarily in the calculation of total score. A traditional "poet" score (extremely high verbal, middling to low quant) will almost never put someone in contention for a top 10 school, even if the cume is over 700. It's considered too imbalanced a score. On the other hand, an illiterate quant (700+, high quant, low verbal) has a pretty good shot at a top school.

This is interesting--I've never thought about GMAT like this.

I made 700+ w/ high verbal low quant and had a surprisingly difficult time getting into my school (which isn't even a top MBA program).

BC2012

Reaction score

My score was higher on verbal than on quant, but the spread was not dramatic because I am a genius. For your health!

This is because MBA programs love to play up their technical difficulty - when, in reality, you barely use math even in a finance focused MBA. When I say math, I mean calc and above. And the GMAT doesn't really test math ability, it tests logic ability and the ability to spot false answers and whatnot. I don't think it covered anything above 9th grade Algebra II.

In reality, MBA programs would probably be better off putting a heavier emphasis on verbal scores - nothing worse than graduating a bunch of desk-chained quants that have no interpersonal skills or ability to write memos/emails. Yet, this is the majority of grads at many schools. Maybe that's fine for IB and research analyst roles but for general management and marketing (and other "soft" roles that fill up the majority of positions for most MBAs) higher quant isn't probably the best thing.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BC2012
the GMAT doesn't really test math ability, it tests logic ability and the ability to spot false answers and whatnot. I don't think it covered anything above 9th grade Algebra II.

In reality, MBA programs would probably be better off putting a heavier emphasis on verbal scores - nothing worse than graduating a bunch of desk-chained quants that have no interpersonal skills or ability to write memos/emails.

+100

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't a higher verbal score a better indication of higher IQ?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Disagree. They don't care as long as you are above 70th percentile on both. And the math is easy anyway, it doesn't measure your quant ability

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Disagree. A stereotypical Asian/Indian who has for his entire life seen academics as some kind of math contest will get your illiterate quant score, high 700's, and will have virtually no shot at a top school. These guys represent a huge proportion of applicants these days. If you've met the 80% quant threshold, I think a huge verbal (50+) makes you stand out a bit.

Still, I think the importance of the GMAT is overstated. But what the **** do I know.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is because MBA programs love to play up their technical difficulty - when, in reality, you barely use math even in a finance focused MBA. When I say math, I mean calc and above.
I did a shitload of multivariate calc and high-level statistics in my bschool classes. Not sure what University of Phoenix was like for you, however.
tongue.gif
Agree with your points that verbal should be counted for a lot more than it is. Alas, that is not the case, and all trends I've seen are pointing to even less of an emphasis placed on rhetorical ability or verbal competency, let alone fluency, let alone potency. A real shame, too.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Disagree. They don't care as long as you are above 70th percentile on both. And the math is easy anyway, it doesn't measure your quant ability

Nothing you just said addressed the point of mine with which you "disagree."

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Disagree. A stereotypical Asian/Indian who has for his entire life seen academics as some kind of math contest will get your illiterate quant score, high 700's, and will have virtually no shot at a top school. These guys represent a huge proportion of applicants these days. If you've met the 80% quant threshold, I think a huge verbal (50+) makes you stand out a bit. Still, I think the importance of the GMAT is overstated. But what the **** do I know.
My point, which keeps getting missed evidently, is that quant is weighed much more heavily by admissions folks than verbal is. That is a fact. Furthermore, my point was that the far preferable (as far as admissions chances are concerned) type of wild split is the wild split in favor of quant, rather than the wild split in favor of verbal. While it's true that there are a ton of high-quant/low-verbal Asians and Indians out there, the fact of the matter is that quite a few of them end up in top schools. On the other hand, maybe 1 out of every 1000 "poet" scoring people ends up at a top school. Obviously it's better to have a balanced score with a high cume. That is beside the point I was addressing.

BC2012

Reaction score
I did a shitload of multivariate calc and high-level statistics in my bschool classes. Not sure what University of Phoenix was like for you, however.

What classes did you do multivariate calc in? And specifically in which applications of finance? I've taken stats and econometrics but I guarantee I won't be taking beyond econometrics.

Please, since you came back with such a ****** attitude about it, please feel free to tell us exactly how you used multivariate calculus and in what detail.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What classes did you do multivariate calc in? And specifically in which applications of finance? I've taken stats and econometrics but I guarantee I won't be taking beyond econometrics. Please, since you came back with such a ****** attitude about it, please feel free to tell us exactly how you used multivariate calculus and in what detail.
First of all, calm down. The UoP thing was supposed to have been a lighthearted jab, which I soon edited to add a requisite, softening smiley to. Evidently you were already in mid-screed when that editing took place, however. To answer your question, Black-Scholes is a pretty well known and fairly basic partial differential model. If you haven't gotten there yet, you're speaking out of turn. There are plenty more where that came from. I don't mean to be rude, but challenging me on this **** when it's clear that you are speaking out of your ass is not doing you favors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads