• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can Oxfords be casual?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did some searching on this topic but found little in regards to a definitive answer. I know Oxfords are a traditional business shoe, but would you wear them casually? With jeans, cords, odd pants? Also, at what point can they be considered more casual? Would you wear captoes, plain toe, with or without broguing?

I just picked up some black oxfords with some broguing (not wingtips) for the strict purpose of of using them both for business casual and in the evening with jeans. Will this look odd?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do it, I like it and nobody notices or cares. Therefore, I think it's fine.

quuz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
I did some searching on this topic but found little in regards to a definitive answer. I know Oxfords are a traditional business shoe, but would you wear them casually? With jeans, cords, odd pants? Also, at what point can they be considered more casual? Would you wear captoes, plain toe, with or without broguing?

I just picked up some black oxfords with some broguing (not wingtips) for the strict purpose of of using them both for business casual and in the evening with jeans. Will this look odd?

Would say it depends on the jeans, if they are a pair of ugly light blue ones then no but if they are dark indigo and nice slim/straight cut then yes is the oxfords are brown imo, black meh.

Wackadoodle

Reaction score
It can work if the wash of the jeans is dark and the fit doesn't make the shoes look too bulky, the brogues will make it less formal, just keep it from being too casual with a buttondown or a sweater or something.

Izhitsa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quuz
Would say it depends on the jeans, if they are a pair of ugly light blue ones then no but if they are dark indigo and nice slim/straight cut then yes is the oxfords are brown imo, black meh.

Agree with the above, although I think black full-brogue oxfords would be fine with jeans.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
For me, yes if they are suede, no if they are leather.

Suede makes them very versatile.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
I constantly wear burgundy oxford wingtips with darker jeans and no one has ever batted an eyelid.

Tobacco Man

Reaction score
Yep, definitely. I wear dark jeans with burgundy cap toe oxfords regularly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads