• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shortening sleeve and shirt citique. need help, pics incl.

intfxdx

Reaction score
hi ,

i bought this RL BL shirts, and i gave one of them to the tailor for shortening the sleeves. she shortened it at shoulder (i asked because the sleeves are large) here is the output. it does not seem good but i ask myself if in this kind of work it's inevitable to get this kind of result. The first 2 pics is output of what she did. the last pic is the same style shirt but unaltered, what do you think ? you suggest to find a better tailor (not an easy task in switzerland, even i am ready to pay).

Attachment 57793

Attachment 57794

Attachment 57795

Thanks for your advices.

edit : after altering length of sleeves i asked her the take a little bit in tha waist, here is the shirt, the first one is altered from shoulder and taken in the waist.
Attachment 58543

that one is not altered at all, but if the sleeves were altered from cuff, this would be the result.

Attachment 58544

so what do you think ?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those pictures aren't very good. From what I can see it looks like she did it correctly. It's just a little sloppy. The stitching doesn't really match the original, either.

Attaching the sleeve is difficult. I wouldn't have anyone who doesn't sew shirts regularly do it.

pnin22

Reaction score
Attaching sleeves is a major pain in the a**. Please bring your tailor a bouquet of flowers for a job well done.

rabidawg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
why didn't she remove the sleeve placket and shorten from the cuff?

This. Should be much less expensive than and doesn't have the same potential to ruin shirts as shortening from the shoulder.

Signed,

32-inch sleeves

intfxdx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rabidawg
This. Should be much less expensive than and doesn't have the same potential to ruin shirts as shortening from the shoulder.

Signed,

32-inch sleeves

Well as the sleeves were large near shoulder, i thought that shortening at shoulder will be nice as they become less large, and indeed it's the case.
yes i was also thinking that shortening sleeves is not an easy job especially for shortening from shoulders. so verdict is job is not so bad ?

southbound35

Reaction score
I'm not a tailor, so I will defer to their expertise should one (or more) chime in.

Presuming that alteration is on the armpit of the shirt (where no one but you and whoever does your laundry will see) and the visible part of the alteration looks good, I wouldn't worry about it. As someone else said, it does look a bit sloppy. But, if the shirt fits you to your satisfaction, I wouldn't worry about it. Pics with you wearing the shirt would elicit more constructive criticism regarding fit.

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
why didn't she remove the sleeve placket and shorten from the cuff?

What are the pro's and cons of each way?
teacha.gif

HitMan009

Reaction score
Are you sure those are RL BL? The seams on the unaltered one is not the seams normally found of RL shirts.... I forget what the seam is called, I believe it is called a french seam where one of the line of stitches is covered.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Infrasonic
What are the pro's and cons of each way?
teacha.gif

more or less expensive...

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it fit you satisfactorily after the alteration?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
Are you sure those are RL BL? The seams on the unaltered one is not the seams normally found of RL shirts.... I forget what the seam is called, I believe it is called a french seam where one of the line of stitches is covered.

Usually call it a flat-felled seam. It's got two rows of stitching visible on the inside and only one on the outside. There's no hard and fast rule that says the "outside" has to be the outside of the shirt, since both sides are closed. It's unusual to see a shirt with the two rows on the outside, though, you're right.

intfxdx

Reaction score
it's a true RLBL, purchased from Ralph's online store (i think the quality of items sold on forum or ebay does not match the quality of items sold RL online store)
the fit is good but i got the impression that it's somewhat tight.. i will post some pictures but before i am thinking to take off a little from waist because now the chest and waist has same length (rectangle) i will ask her to take of gently a little on the waist.

intfxdx

Reaction score
here is the result, that one is altered from shoulder

Attachment 58545

that one is not altered, just pulled the cuffs in, this is the shirt if it were altered from cuff.

Attachment 58546

It's a little bit thight at torso but still ok. Do you think that it's better to be tailored from shoulder ? because it seems to me that shirt is a little bit unbalanced, one armhole is 0.4cm higher than the other.
Thanks for you advices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads