• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"What I've Learned" - SF Edition

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed Eqsuire's monthly page titled 'What I've Learned' so I thought I'd start a SF edition.

Since the bros here in MC tend to be the most senior members (also in age) it seemed the appropriate place.

I'll kick it off...

Always dress to the job you want promotion into, not the job you have now

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hermes doesn't sell a green breast wallet

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While patterns, peaked lapels, small or overly large lapels and other quirky elements add an interesting touch to menswear, most people will respond more favorably to darker solids and traditionally accepted cuts.

pdxpm

Reaction score
My natural waist is above my navel...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't eat the yellow snow...

Raralith

Reaction score
- Start off slow and easy, don't try to build a new woredrobe in a few weeks
- Learn how fit works and how to fit clothing on you
- Learn how to take care of your clothing and accessories so they look their best

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Don't eat the yellow snow...

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Eat the yellow snow.

krRg.jpg

emc894

Reaction score
I regret 90% of impulse purchases.

Simple is usually better. Best to save for ~10-15 bespoke shirts and ~3-5 pairs of high quality shoes rather than buying a bunch of OTR **** on ebay or used shoes.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Isn't this thread pretty much the same thing as the insights and reflections thread?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emc894
I regret 90% of impulse purchases.

Simple is usually better. Best to save for ~10-15 bespoke shirts and ~3-5 pairs of high quality shoes rather than buying a bunch of OTR **** on ebay or used shoes.

Agree 100%. Actually a SA advised me once to walk away and if I kept thinking about it after a few days to go back and buy it. Never did go back. He was a good man.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
While patterns, peaked lapels, small or overly large lapels and other quirky elements add an interesting touch to menswear, most people will respond more favorably to darker solids and traditionally accepted cuts.
+1000000. I will also say that as I've gotten older, my tastes have turned more conservative (surprise) and SF has certainly helped along. I now prefer solids and outfits that aren't particularly "bold". I've moved away from patterns and into what most would consider boring and plain (gray, white, blue, navy, tweed). I also hesitate to use my bolder ties and pocket squares, and find myself reaching for the simple ones more and more. I have also moved away from quantity and into quality. I gave away a ton of outfits this past year that I'd have considered favorites just 5 years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads