• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Underrated US Cities

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClambakeSkate
Detroit. ******* loved it. Moving there in April.

Originally Posted by mkarim
Why?

Because it's got a ******* soul, and I'm not talking about the music. There's cool **** here if you can get past the 'journalist just flew into town for two days to do a story on the decay of Detroit' angle on the place. Yes, there are many large ****** parts, but there is some really cool stuff. A person just needs to be interested enough to find it. I'm constantly shocked by how many people I've met who grew up in the metro area and have never set foot on Belle Isle. Skip Applebee's one night and go downtown for the love of God.

Oh yeah, and I like Columbia MO as well.

BC2012

Reaction score
Philly is only underrated because so many people consider it a total **** hole. For restaurants and bars, Philly is great. I disagree that's it's a great walking city, because public transportation is too crappy and the bars are too far spread out (you can't hit the gastropubs in Northern Liberties and in South Philly without a pretty expensive cab ride).

But for crime and general dirtiness, Philly has it on most cities. It's a dirty, crime ridden cesspool in probably 75% of the city limits.

That said, if you can afford to live downtown and cab it most places (and like eating out and drinking craft beer) you can live quite nicely in Philly. I found it was fairly limiting after you've been to the majority of the best restaurants and bars, but I also lived there for 25+ years.

And LOL @ Baltimore being underrated. The only things I liked about Baltimore the 30 or so times I've been there were my friend's apartment where I got annihilated, JHU's campus, and the restaurants on the Inner Harbor. The Wire was set there for a reason: it's a pretty nasty, scary place in most parts. Only city I've ever witnessed a car jacking.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really liked NOLA
frown.gif

Wackadoodle

Reaction score
Lived in Baltimore for the past 4 years and I've enjoyed it. If you're cool with the whole post-industrial/drugs/crumbling infrastructure. Despite the high murder rate, its not that awful of a place to live (most of the murders of drug and gang related and tend to be isolated to a couple blocks in the East, West and Northwest), people are friendly, plenty of good and cheap bars and living is pretty reasonable. There's a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and markets if that's what you're into, rent is also pretty reasonable for the area. For what I was paying for a ****** basement apartment in Petworth in DC I get a nice big house in Hampden (the "hip" neighborhood...for now). For me, the culture scene is dominated by the nintendo-hippies at Wham City! who are pretty obnoxious, their not the only scene in town, but their definitely the biggest.

I grew up around Providence and it's a great city. Small, pretty cheap for the northeast, lots of great music, I miss it. Doubt I'll ever be able to move back. In the next few years I'm moving with the missus' down to her ancestral home: New Orleans. We have a thing for crime-ridden, violent and depressed cities.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Cleveland! I love Cleveland and think of it as my home -- just finished a long weekend there. Severance Hall, the Flying Fig, Lola, Light Bistro, Cleveland museum of art, much shopping, Westside Market, Tremont, incredibly beautiful indoor spaces, good cheap food (read: Souper Market), Ohio City, beautiful bridges, cheap apartments, and the very best bar on the planet earth: The Velvet Tango Room.

Glad to hear that we have such an ardent fan. You really have hit many of the best spots our fair city has to offer.

I would agree with you that in many ways the Cleveland area is really overlooked and has a lot to offer. Outside of a few neighborhoods (Downtown, Ohio City, Tremont, most of the area within Cleveland city limits is pretty sketchy. Once in you include some of the surrounding areas (Coventry, Lakewood, etc.), however, it's a very nice place to be. Traffic is non-existent. Housing is remarkably affordable. World class arts. World class health care. Up and coming food scene. Three major sports team (granted none of them are very good at the moment).

I do wish the shopping was a little bit better here.

Also, the Souper Market is delicious.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
uhoh.gif

rolleyes.gif

• Most educated county in Florida
  • Extensive park system within the city (voted best in America a few times)
  • Borders 1,000,000+acres of public forest/wildlife refuges/preserves
  • Over 40,000 female college students
  • Twenty minutes from the coast, an hour from two beaches that have finished first in the (admittedly ridiculous) "Best Beach in America" contest
  • Cheap housing (I live in a 3br house, eight blocks from the capital in a nice neighborhood, bordering a nature preserve, and my total mortgage payment is $750)
  • Great seafood - dozen Apalachicola oysters usually around $6.00/dozen in restaurants
  • Top tier college football games/tailgates - dirt cheap
  • Top tier college baseball games/tailgates - dirt cheap
  • ACC basketball games - dirt cheap
  • Southern culture/cuisine
  • Unlike Tampa/Orlando/Palm Beach, you don't have to drive 4+ hours just to get off the peninsula

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I echo those who mentioned Portland, ME. Their jetport is awesome. And it's within driving distance of Freeport which I absolutely adore.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I echo those who mentioned Portland, ME. Their jetport is awesome. And it's within driving distance of Freeport which I absolutely adore.
those sleepy cool New England City/Towns are great if moving in from somewhere else. But if you're from the area a lot of the time you are itching to leave. I'm going on the record saying chicago is underrated, only because its really really impressive when you visit the first time. It was probably the only last huge metropolis I've yet to visit, but last year I finally got to visit and I was smitten.... I gained 5lbs in 10 days with the food, took in a white sox game and a cubs game, visited the Art museums, and took my nephews to the Zoo. Chicago is underrrated in the sense that if you haven't visited the city you don't really know what its about or like. Unlike lets say NOLA, or NYC, or San Francisco where you have an pretty good idea what its like. LA is like that too, if you haven't visited then you don't really know. I was so impressed that I started looking at apartments/condos and saw that the prices were actually great even in the wrigley area (compared to san fran and NYC). I seriously called my wife and almost had her fly down to see what our real options were... but we had a serious sit down and realized that we were too entrenched here in NYC to make any major changes... but damn it was nice.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
those sleepy cool New England City/Towns are great if moving in from somewhere else. But if you're from the area a lot of the time you are itching to leave.
I get where you're coming from. After spending a few years in Chicago and Seattle (and now working in Montreal), I find all things New England-y quite charming. Though if I had my way, I'd move to Athens in a heartbeat. And regarding weight gain; let's just say whenever I'm in the States, I adjust my eating disorder accordingly.
laugh.gif

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
I was so impressed that I started looking at apartments/condos and saw that the prices were actually great even in the Wrigley area (compared to san fran and NYC).

The housing is pretty affordable, especially when compared with NYC, SF, BOS, and PHI. If you live in Wrigleyville, however, you will lose some of those savings when you buy a gun to blow your own brains out after the 38th time you hose the vomit off of your front steps.

That said, I love Chicago and would move back there in a heartbeat under the right circumstances. It's 85% of NYC at 50% of the price.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
The housing is pretty affordable, especially when compared with NYC, SF, BOS, and PHI. If you live in Wrigleyville, however, you will lose some of those savings when you buy a gun to blow your own brains out after the 38th time you hose the vomit off of your front steps.

That said, I love Chicago and would move back there in a heartbeat under the right circumstances. It's 85% of NYC at 50% of the price.

+a big freaking one about Wrigleyville.

Hell, the Cubs fans kind of ruin every neighborhood in Chicago. At least now they aren't all drunk and on my doorstep at all hours of the night.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+a big freaking one about Wrigleyville.

Hell, the Cubs fans kind of ruin every neighborhood in Chicago. At least now they aren't all drunk and on my doorstep at all hours of the night.

The irony is that most Cubs fans aren't really fans of the Cubs, they're just fans of drinking. Not that I have a problem with being a fan of drinking, it's just that using baseball as a mask for your fandom makes me hate you, Cubs fans that is.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Absolutely. I could go into more detail about how much the Cubs and their "fans" suck here, but I consider ChicagoRon a good friend and don't want to piss him off.
smile.gif

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Absolutely. I could go into more detail about how much the Cubs and their "fans" suck here, but I consider ChicagoRon a good friend and don't want to piss him off.
smile.gif

Eh, real Cubs fans are aware of this and know that they have to put up with such language. It's like being a Browns fan and knowing that your team is going to finish no better than 6-10 and yet you still tune in each week to watch 'em.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads