• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
If these are side vented or center vented, I'll take the Zegnas (the jacket and the suit) and the Isaia jacket. If they're from the same guy or appear to be the same size as the Eu 54 L stuff, it should work.

Let me know if you don't want it! You beat me to all the good stuff
fight[1].gif

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
...Ugh. Thanks for making me tally the embarrassing number of blue blazers I own.

I've been thinking we all need to take pictures of our closets. I'm sure there are at least a few of you who have more stuff than me and it might get my wife off of my case. She keeps threatening to turn my name into that "Hoarders" show.

Originally Posted by Trotsky1940
Salvation Army:

Two nice suits (at least for this area) ... I could have bought it and had it tailored.... but I just didn't feel like going through the hassle. I have stuff I am slowly taking to the tailor and honestly didn't want one more. Is this a bad attitude?...

Yes, it is, but since about 95% of us are in the same boat we'll let you slide for now.
laugh.gif

Some day I'm going to find a competent, reasonably priced tailor in Dallas and I'm going to put his/her kid through college.

Originally Posted by pdxpm
I've seen the Polo University Club line a few times when thrifting. Where does it rank in the PRL lines? Is it a licensed product? I kind of assumed it was similar to the Lauren line.

The older stuff was Hartmarx and is made pretty good for department store, fused stuff. Peerless from Canada (now China?) made the later stuff - I'd guess after the early 90's - and that stuff is cr*p. I see the earlier ones from time to time and I like that many have forward-pleats (rare) and almost no shoulder padding. I've even seen some that are clones of the classic PRL DB model: 6/2 but rolled to the bottom button, ticket pocket, and side-vents. I've never seen one of those in my size and the ones I do see are usually dry-cleaned to death. If you like them get them but I wouldn't buy them to flip (they're worthless, even on eBay) and if you are serious about this hobby you will find better stuff if you keep looking.

Originally Posted by otc
Still nothing good on the clothes front...

I did however do well yesterday with what I like to call thrifting for beer...my grocery store has a rack where they place the bottles from cases that had a bottle explode or break...you can pick your own 6 pack from the rack and get it for 3.99. Unfortunately, it is pretty much filled with cans of bud light and bottles of coors....reminds me of the racks of stafford shirts. I'll usually go for it I can get at least 4 bottles of something good (or maybe a mikes hard to have in my fridge for the girls who don't like beer). Most visits there isn't even 1...nothing beside american lites

Last night I managed 17 bottles of decent beer (and one st. pauli girl) for $12.

I vote that this replaces the $5 John Lobbs as the Greatest Thrifting Story of All Time.
worship2.gif

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old Hong Kong bespoke suit, made from Scabal Luxxor "a Super 130's quality with cashmere and vicuna" and with an impressive level of handwork. Three blue OCBDs (each a slightly different fabric) by some random Italian maker. And one amazing Cantarelli suit with loads of handwork, before I noticed the 3" ragged gash in the trousers...
facepalm.gif

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
I once found some vintage Florsheim shell cordovan longwings for $3.39 at Salvation Army. Uh oh, I just gave away my secret spot.
Did you just say ONCE?!!!! You mean all the others are not from SA
laugh.gif

Temujin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomorrowstars
So many vintage Florsheim shoes at the thrift stores in my area, but I don't know how to differentiate between the good ones and the mediocre ones. I've still yet to even buy any.]

If they say "Imperial" or "Royal Imperial" on the inside, and have green stitching inside, you have found something nice.

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
If they say "Imperial" or "Royal Imperial" on the inside, and have green stitching inside, you have found something nice.

I've seen a few Imperials recently. Last night a brand-new (old stock, I presume) walnut pair of longwings at GW. Unworn. $49.99. Not my size and I have shoes very similar, so I passed.

Curious, why are the Imperial models better than other Florsheims?

Temujin

Reaction score
I've seen a few Imperials recently. Last night a brand-new (old stock, I presume) walnut pair of longwings at GW. Unworn. $49.99. Not my size and I have shoes very similar, so I passed. Curious, why are the Imperial models better than other Florsheims?
Vintage Florsheims came in 3 grades: Great-- regular Florsheims with the blue "logo" on the inside Awesome--Imperials with green logo and green interior stitching. Imp's had some of the features listed below. Frickin' Awesome--Royal Imperials with green logo and int. stitching. These were the top o' the line stuff in the day. Double thickness leather soles, Goodyear welt, storm welt, stacked LEATHER heels w/ double row of nails and metal heel saver embedded in the heel.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few Imperials recently. Last night a brand-new (old stock, I presume) walnut pair of longwings at GW. Unworn. $49.99. Not my size and I have shoes very similar, so I passed.

Curious, why are the Imperial models better than other Florsheims?

If those were the vintage version (suicide heel is the simplest indicator) then you could have an instant double-your-money flip. Triple with a little patience.

Xenos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
If those were the vintage version (suicide heel is the simplest indicator) then you could have an instant double-your-money flip. Triple with a little patience.
"Suicide heel"? Is that the v-cleat? What is the deal with that thing and why does it have such a dangerous reputation?

Temujin

Reaction score
No traction?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please guys, when you're out there and you see something you know people on here will want (Isaia, recent Zegna, Borrelli, Brioni, Attolini, Oxxford....etc), please grab it to sell/trade on here to find it a good home rather than let some greedy flipper get their paws on it.
Originally Posted by SimonC
And one amazing Cantarelli suit with loads of handwork, before I noticed the 3" ragged gash in the trousers...
facepalm.gif

Ouch!
frown.gif
Decent day today. Finally found some nice casual button-down collar shirts for layering. - 3 Ben Silver casual shirts - 2 Borrelli dress shirts. - Invertere suede jacket. Small (4-5") side vents. No size tag, fits like a 44R. Any interest. Not perfect, but in good shape.
DSC04640.jpg
DSC04641.jpg
DSC04642.jpg
DSC04643.jpg

rgoldstein

Reaction score
I got these at Nordstrom tonight for around 50 bucks. Not a half bad deal.
smile.gif

I've had my eye on them for about 6 mos now, but didn't think they were worth the 109.99 or whatever they are retail. Good pair of casual bucs in a fun color.

164136_729841908929_12801087_39351927_2945415_n.jpg

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please guys, when you're out there and you see something you know people on here will want (Isaia, recent Zegna, Borrelli, Brioni, Attolini, Oxxford....etc), please grab it to sell/trade on here to find it a good home rather than let some other greedy flipper get their paws on it.
FTFY The pot calling all the kettles black. I didn't know there were good flippers and bad flippers.
lol8[1].gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
baldy[1].gif
Seriously? We've been over this before many times. Those of us who grab a few nice items to sell aren't considered "flippers". Flippers are those who buy up everything of any remote value and leave nothing for anyone. Meaning those who buy up every Polo RL shirt, Allen Edmonds shoe and Brooks Brothers suit. Flippers have carts literally overflowing with stuff and jump on the racks as soon as they come out of the back room. They don't care about the clothes, nor do they wear them. It's all about making a buck for them. I buy things to wear myself. My closet is 90% thrifted. I buy certain items to pass on to people here. I know they enjoy it and I've had numerous members ask me to look out for certain items in certain sizes for them. Really? Why not pick something up if you know someone on here will show interest about it and you'll just have to make a return trip anyway?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
baldy[1].gif
Seriously? We've been over this before many times. Those of us who grab a few nice items to sell aren't considered "flippers". Flippers are those who buy up everything of any remote value and leave nothing for anyone. Meaning those who buy up every Polo RL shirt, Allen Edmonds shoe and Brooks Brothers suit.

Oh settle down. Flipping is flipping Nataku. Learn to have a laugh at yourself in the equation. No one would flip if it were not beneficial to them. That is the whole point of flipping, whether it is here or elsewhere. There are no ethics involved. It is about profit, one way or another. I never said you were a bad person, but see the humour in your post, that's all. To suggest that only here on SF, an item would 'go to a good home' is silly. That would be like saying that a flipper who sells on Ebay is selling to someone from a bad home, and we both know that is not true. Now you see the reason for my >
lol8[1].gif
Laugh matey..and have a pleasent evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads