• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to Commission for My Summer Wedding? Navy Double-Breasted?

Revived

Reaction score
I would like some advice on suit styles. (I'm not as noob as the post count would suggest, btw, just got tired of my old screen name). The set-up is as follows:

I am getting married in July outdoors in the mid-Atlantic. It will be hot. Evening wedding. Not a highly formal event, but it will be nice. We're East Coast professionals, etc.

I'm having suit selection problems. My MTM tuxedo would be too hot and formal, plus I don't like the fit. Basic business suits wouldn't be festive enough. So I probably will have something made, either bespoke or MTM (yes, timing is getting tight). I'd like it to be something that I can wear later on lesser occasions.

But what to commission? In an article, Manton suggests as wedding suits either a gray one-button suit with waistcoat (too hot here) or a navy double-breasted. I like the latter idea, but is it possible to make a double-breasted that looks appropriately solid but is still light enough for the heat? I have visions of a floppy mess, but could the right tailor get it right? What book/weight might I use? Anyone have an example photo of a summer-weight double-breasted?

If that won't work, any other ideas? The only other way I can think of to make my outfit stand out from standard business (without donning a tuxedo) is to make it more casual. So should I just go very informal with a linen blend or some such thing?

I may go English American MTM on this, since I missed Chan in November.

Thanks.

(Below is a link to the Manton article, for anyone interested. I like it. Don't worry, I won't be slavishly following it. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...DINGATTIRE.htm)

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My opinion, stay with a tux or a charcoal one button.

To me the navy db is great for christening your sloop, not marrying the love of your life.

Revived

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
My opinion, stay with a tux or a charcoal one button.

To me the navy db is great for christening your sloop, not marrying the love of your life.

I think a navy db suit is more formal than all that, but that's a fair enough point. I suppose the benefit of using my tuxedo is that it would be a lot cheaper to alter it than to have something made... But then I'd have a cool suit.

Marcellionheart

Reaction score
For my wedding, I'm either going to have a White Tie or a Morning Suit rigged up. What other time in my life am I going to be able to justify spending that amount of money on such an awesome piece of clothing?

Revived

Reaction score
I respect the swagger, but that's more formal than I was thinking. Plus, if I'm bespeaking, I want it to be something that I can wear a lot later.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lucky Strike got married in a DB suit. Some nice pics in that thread. You mention temperature as the main concern, do you mean it'll be outdoors?

Revived

Reaction score
Yes, it will be outdoors, almost exclusively, albeit covered and with some fans. Temperatures in the low 80s to high 80s, and probably humid.

Those pics of Lucky Strike's nuptials are extremely helpful. Looks like a very similar setup, though Norway's probably a little cooler. Thanks much.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a white dinner jacket?

If you were dead set on having a suit made, not that I blame you, there is a picture of a Darren Beamen SB one button suit and double breasted vest that I would recommend.

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
I like Zara's idea. I got married in a white dinner jacket, black bow tie. I looked great, if I don't mind saying. Think about posterity - in pictures, people - your kids - will want to know - 'yeah, that's the groom'.
Stand out. Good luck bro.

Originally Posted by zarathustra
Have you considered a white dinner jacket?

If you were dead set on having a suit made, not that I blame you, there is a picture of a Darren Beamen SB one button suit and double breasted vest that I would recommend.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not go with a navy or grey single breasted, two button peak lapel suit? It'll stand out, but with the added advantage of being wearable buttoned or unbuttoned. For additional stand-out, go with braces instead of a belt, and use a solid but bold color (perhaps dark purple).

Will your shirt be MTM as well? If so, perhaps go with a cutaway collar instead of spread or point, as these are more unusual.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would opt for a tan cotton suit, peak or notch lapel, side vents, flat front pants. With a great shoe/tie/square/corsage you should be set. And you'll have a suit you can wear for summers to come.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like double-breasted suits, but I fear it would come off as too stiff or formal for a wedding, although I grant that that's subject to personal preference. A white dinner jacket would be nice. And I think a tan or light gray suit would also be sufficiently distinct from a typical business suit.

kcc

Reaction score
The charcoal suit with waist coat is a good idea. Both suggestions have their merit, but were it me I would order a partially lined, all season navy DB in a light weight. It has a greater range of utility i.e., business meetings, dinners, the opera etc. than the charcoal garment.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a web site called The Knot that has lots of photos of weddings in all circumstances and settings. There seems to be quite a few in warm areas. Check out those photos to see what you like. I saw Khaki suits, tuxs, navy suits even blue blazers. They also have good pics of groomsmen in case you need ideas.

If you really have your heart set on a navy DB suit consider a cloth of a silk, linen and wool blend for less wrinkles yet cool feel. That type of cloth may also give it a slightly less business formal look too.

Congratulations, by the way!

Matt S

Reaction score
This picture immediately comes to mind:
tumblrkvxynipqzh1qa2j8c.jpg

It's the father of the bride in the navy double-breasted suit but a groom could pull it off equally well. Wear it like he does with a white shirt and shepherd's check tie for a more traditional look. You definitely have the right idea with a navy double-breasted suit. I don't see why a double-breasted suit would look too formal. Navy is the best color since the wedding will be in the evening. Whilst light grey and beige are great for the summer they will look out of place at an evening wedding. Since it's summer I'd go with a lighter navy. And I think the ideal fabric would be a wool/mohair blend. It's perfect for warm weather and it's shine makes it stand apart from a business suit, but in a more formal way. It's also a stiffer fabric. Get it half or maybe even quarter lined so it breathes better. Linen will look too casual and more likely be the floppy mess you want to avoid. If you want to go with a single-breasted suit get it in a 1-button peak lapel, waistcoat optional.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads