• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well that interesting exchange got ugly quickly. I don't know if there's any reason to block one another though. Lefty adds a lot of value in this thread.
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I know of one Rottweiler who came on a property where there was a kenneled Tosa (the brother of my dog Dempsey) and began fence fighting him. The Tosa smashed through some heavy gauge wire and crushed the Rott's skull. To make amends, the Tosa's owner gave the Rott's owner a Tosa puppy out of his next litter and everybody was happy.
Pretty sure I wouldn't be happy if it was my dog that had his head crushed. Albeit that he should not have been roaming free, but shouldn't the Tosa have been more properly contained? What if it was a kid that was heckling him through the fence?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Tosa is a large dog as is the Rott but it would take a hell of a dog to crush a Rott's skull. Powerful dogs are capable of a lot of things. I knew a Fila that broke through a window to get at someone who shouldn't have been there.

That reminds me, I almost caused the death of a street window washer who started cleaning my car windows against my wishes. He didn't notice the 98lb Corso sleeping in the front seat. The dog hit the windshield so hard it shook and the guy cartwheeled back and bounced off a moving car in the opposite lane. A few moments earlier and he would have be driven over.

My dog was leashed and inside my car but I'm sure I would be serving time right now had the guy been killed. I know they would have put my dog down as there is no way she would have passed the Animal Control test at the time, which, if I recall correctly, consisted of approaching the dog in a cage and teasing it with a rubber human hand. Honestly, if you do that I want my dog to bite you.

lefty

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last few pages were some of the most entertaining (and informative) in this thread...Nothing like a good debate. Too bad it ended poorly.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ How did the operation go? Fro those looking for more information on working (protection) dogs Working Dog EU is a great resource for individual dogs with their records and health clearances, who's breeding what, and pics/videos of many dogs. For example, here are some videos on the Airedale page: http://www.working-dog.eu/video.php?rasse=4 Flying Dale:
mlywW5G8GLfFPUdHAa9GoG54ZXiaoZwELaCqKjsIH8o,.jpg
Bouncing Dale:
Hexe-von-der-Ahornh%FCtte-----bcHhZVEMZw-LDe_NY7WHyopFeaQwCFTirbzf0ZWKnoE,.jpg
You may have to join to view. lefty

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
^ How did the operation go? lefty
It went well. He was supposed to be ready for pick up at 3 pm but the vet called me at 1 and asked me to come early because he was making too much noise in his crate. Haha. The fact that a cocktail of anasthetic and painkillers didn't settle him down makes me feel really optimistic about crate training...

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
It went well.

He was supposed to be ready for pick up at 3 pm but the vet called me at 1 and asked me to come early because he was making too much noise in his crate. Haha.

So much for the barkless dog. By the way, what sounds does he make? Has he yodeled?

lefty

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So much for the barkless dog. By the way, what sounds does he make? Has he yodeled? lefty
Yeah, that notion is pretty misleading. Although it's true that he doesn't bark like most dogs, he has quite a large range of sounds. When he's unhappy he usually resorts to a combination of screaming, whinning, and howling. I should upload a video of him in his crate...What most people find strange is that when he's playing he's almost entirely silent. He yodels on occasion. It's pretty cute.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
This is perversion. I'd much, much rather see them fighting each other. At least that way we'd soon know which were the best dogs."

This is pretty sad..

Originally Posted by KJT
Well that interesting exchange got ugly quickly. I don't know if there's any reason to block one another though. Lefty adds a lot of value in this thread.

Pretty sure I wouldn't be happy if it was my dog that had his head crushed. Albeit that he should not have been roaming free, but shouldn't the Tosa have been more properly contained? What if it was a kid that was heckling him through the fence?

Right around here, I realized nothing further would be gained in this debate.

That's what your breeder is breeding for - a dog that looks like a Rottweiler but in truth, isn't a Rottweiler. Contrary to what its AKC papers may say.

I don't think you understand what a breed standard is as it relates to temperament. Your animal is supposed to be x + y + z. You're pulling out z because it doesn't fit your needs or your layman's opinion of what the breed should be. I'm saying that if you pull out z you no longer have the breed. If your Rott is aggressive to other dogs, control it or don't bring to the park. Don't "punish" the breed because you believe that a proper temperament is inappropriate in modern society. Get another breed.

Sorry, I try not to tell people what choices they should and should not make based on my analysis of somebody else's evidence. I also try not to make generalizations about what a total stranger knows or does not know about things. I can quote the breed standards for Rottweilers, but I do not own a Rottweiler to "show". Hence, I look for a Rottweiler that retains as much of the breed standard as possible, without being overly aggressive. Jan's story about the Tosa and Rottweiler are a good example. If my dog burst into somebody's backyard and killed their dog, I'd expect the owner of that dog to knock on my door with a baseball bat or tire iron, I know I would. Further, the bullshit about punishing a dog by having them neutered just got too nauseating for me and I realized I would gain nothing more from the discussion. No harm, no foul, but I react the same way when members of certain church's knock on my door and try to convince me why I will go to hell if I don't abandon Catholicism and become a member of XYZ based on their narrow interpretation of history or some holy book.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right, that was actually something I could have worked out easily enough. Math and all.

Asta was actually the initial inspiration to start looking at Terriers. My wife loves the film and the book and always wanted an Asta. I started looking up the various Terrier types to find out which breed she was and we went from there.

The Thinman movies came out in the early '30s so the timelines don't jibe. And at any rate, Asta was a WH Fox Terrier. He was partially trained by the Weatherwax boys who also trained "Lassie".

Jagds are very cool dogs but hell to live with - you should get one.

lefty

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, I think you're taking things a bit too seriously. The viewpoints expressed were polar opposites but I think things remained rather civil.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
With all due respect, I think you're taking things a bit too seriously. The viewpoints expressed were polar opposites but I think things remained rather civil.

lol, accusing somebody of punishing their dog, telling a person who has already made it clear they have owned multiple specimens of the same breed that they don't know **** about what their dog is supposed to act/look like, and directing them to get another breed because I am causing a dilution of the Rottweiler gene pool is civil? Whatever man, different strokes.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
You are obnoxious, welcome to my ignore list. Only the second in close to 5 years, you should be proud. You remind me of a brainwashed cultist who repeats their mantras over and over and over, oblivious to the fact that they are having not winning converts.

I don't really want to get into this as this has been a pretty friendly thread all in all but I don't think this is a fair assessment of Lefty and Jan's position. Both use logic, reason, science, and experience to back up what they say. You might not agree but they are hardly cultists.
Also, the position that dogs might be better off with their organs intact is hardly a fringe one. The more I read about dogs and the more people I BS with the more I find that not everybody wants to neuter/spay.
My vet works in a very family oriented practice and is pretty buttoned down but when I told her I wanted to wait on spaying my ***** for health reasons she did not bat an eye.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Also, the position that dogs might be better off with their organs intact is hardly a fringe one. The more I read about dogs and the more people I BS with the more I find that not everybody wants to neuter/spay.

I did not say this was a fringe position at all, only that there were risks and benefits, each of which needed to be weighed by a dog's owner in determining what they were most comfortable with. Note I said risks and benefits. In my case, I believe the benefits outweigh the risks. Note also I didn't make statements that everybody needed to neuter or spay their dogs, only that they needed to educate themselves on the risks and benefits.

In short, I was arguing this is a personal decision that a person needed to make by educating themselves on the risks and benefits, and then properly weighing those risks and benefits in making their decision, just like circumcision, just like deciding to smoke and just like deciding on a heart transplant or not. I was met with accusations that I didn't know the facts, owned the wrong breeds, was punishing my dogs and so on and so on.

You decide which position is the more reasonable, less dogmatic.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know people took their dogs so seriously. Dayum

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads