• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be best man in my brother's wedding this summer. Someone mentioned I should get a white sport coat for the rehearsal dinner since I'm best man. Being my first time in this position I had no idea about this tradition or if it's even legit.

First off is this an actual practice?
Second, if so, suggest a decent white sport coat to look into?

zbelden00

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Try Nordstrom Rack or Loehmans

Thank you for the response! Another question: What brands make descent 'middle-of-the-road' ($60-70 per) wool slacks? What thread count should I expect to find for descent quality pants that will last a while? Just looking for the basic color staples for work (business casual, no suits).

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
I'm going to be best man in my brother's wedding this summer. Someone mentioned I should get a white sport coat for the rehearsal dinner since I'm best man. Being my first time in this position I had no idea about this tradition or if it's even legit.

First off is this an actual practice?
Second, if so, suggest a decent white sport coat to look into?

I wouldn't do this. I think you will stand out in a bad way. I would dress in a similar manner to other guests. You are the best man, everyone will know you are the best man. Concentrate on your speech. That is what people will remember.

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbelden00
Thank you for the response! Another question: What brands make descent 'middle-of-the-road' ($60-70 per) wool slacks? What thread count should I expect to find for descent quality pants that will last a while? Just looking for the basic color staples for work (business casual, no suits).

look for high wool content, like 100%.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have success stories about dry cleaners getting cooking oil stains out of wool pants? Or am I screwed?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
Does anyone have success stories about dry cleaners getting cooking oil stains out of wool pants? Or am I screwed?

Yes.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Is there a Nordstrom in your area? They often carry Allen-Edmonds. You could try some on there.

If you'd rather take a gamble on some untried shoes, then I'd stick with a size you know that fits, even if it's a different last. If the PAs are snug, you can always take them to a shoe repair shop and have them stretched a bit.

Thanks - yeah I'm in NY so that's not a problem. I just feel bad going into a store, trying on their shoes to find something that fits and then not buying it there. I can't afford to pay full price for the Park's. I guess I have no choice!

Surly

Reaction score
Hope this is a quick question. I just purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds Bel Air wingtips in Walnut, and I need everything to take care of them. I'm looking at buying a bunch of Saphir stuff from Francos, but I don't know exactly what I need. So far, this is what I have on my list, but I know it's sorely lacking:

1 - Saphir Renovateur
1 - Saphir Medium Horsehair brush

I know I need some kind of polish, but really have no idea if I should get wax, cream, neutral, coloured, etc.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
Dry cleaning fluid is known to work pretty well on oil-based stains. I would definitely try a good dry cleaner if I were you.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Yes.

Originally Posted by dah328
Dry cleaning fluid is known to work pretty well on oil-based stains. I would definitely try a good dry cleaner if I were you.

At first I was like
cry.gif
and then I was like
colgate.gif

Anyone else know from experience?

Surly

Reaction score
Should black patent balmorals be reserved for tuxedos only? I ask as I will be attending a semi-formal evening wedding and will be wearing a dark suit. Should I pair this with patent balmorals?

Thank you

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surly
Should black patent balmorals be reserved for tuxedos only? I ask as I will be attending a semi-formal evening wedding and will be wearing a dark suit. Should I pair this with patent balmorals?

Thank you

You could probably get away with it, but I am not a fan of patent leather and would avoid it at all costs. Captoe oxfords should be fine.

dasai

Reaction score
What sort of color is "mouse"? Is it a shade of grey? Brown? Something else?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads