• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Yep, if I do pull the trigger I am planning to spend about $2k for a three piece with two pairs of trousers and go for the hand made option. I would expect that two pairs of trousers plus a waistcoat shoud make it versitile enough to last many years.

That said, if I am going to be in HK for a holiday anyway like the Mrs is nagging me, I would probably get somthing simmilar over there.

With the current exchange rate - you can definitely do better over in HK. No doubt about it.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Around $1,500 seems like a very decent price for a MTM suit, especially if it includes full canvas lining.

There are better priced offshore MTM options out there. You could probably find some Made in Australia MTM for that price, I'd say.

Especially considering most Australian designer RTW suits are there or thereabouts in terms of price.

True, but like everything else here in Australia (eg. brand fashion, shoes etc.), they're vastly overpriced. As is PJohnson IMO.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wraith, mate, I think we get the point that you are not a fan of Patrick's. Seems like everytime they are brought up you chime in repeatedly with the "offshore mtm" term.

Apropos has bought up in the P Johnson thread that it doesn't really matter the process that occurs but more the end result, so I would put it to you that some of the P.Johnson "offshore mtm" I have seen fits much better and is more up to date (plus he seems to have many happy clients) compared to your Zink and Sons Australian bespoke which is in comparasim a more boxy outdated cut which could have a much improved fit for a bespoke garment. My opinion of course, though it's not entirely un-informed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of things being made locally where possible and spent 5 years at FJ's doing their mtm when it still was Australian made, but the term "offshore mtm" the way you use it implies that Australian mtm is better, which in this current local climate of very little tailors, cutters and the like that are around Australia is wrong I'm afraid.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
At least the website is a little more informative under its new guise. Now we know the product is made in Holland rather than the previously described "Europe." I still say the prices are too high for what is essentially offshore MTM.
- Is Holland not in Europe?
- you realise when a label says Made in Italy actually means only a percentage is made in Italy
- EthanDesu & I spent quite some time with P Johnson over the last few months. So I have had actual first hand experience with the business & have ordered a suit. Should be here next month
- you say too high? So what should it be priced? FFS Calibre/AG etc sell suits for about $1000 on average..
- a MTM suit from Canali or E. Zegna will be start at about A$2500 & you won't get service from a tailor but a SA following a guide book, hence E. Zegna has a history of botched MTM

Around $1,500 seems like a very decent price for a MTM suit, especially if it includes full canvas lining. Especially considering most Australian designer RTW suits are there or thereabouts in terms of price.
- yes

Originally Posted by JTA
In my view $1,500 is a good price for a full canvas MTM suit in Australia.

Understand that it may be cheaper in HK but the air ticket price has to be factored also (about $1,000 for a return ticket), except if you are a regular visitor or the tailor already has your measurement.

- again this idea that you all have that you will get the dream suit when in HKG. It's not going to happen unless you are willing to wait & expect the first few to be off
- as most of you know, I live between SYD & HKG so first hand experience I have had

- I wonder at times why some of you go on on about the price without actually inspecting goods - especially in this case & the amount of diatribe I hear when it was uncovered that Herringbone moved their suit production from Japan to China.

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- you realise when a label says Made in Italy actually means only a percentage is made in Italy
Unless it comes with one of these
100.jpg

from here

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Unless it comes with one of these
100.jpg

from here

- correct. Anyone here ever seen these on any of the SF coveted brands?

monogram

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe

Well said, Gents.

As some of you may know from my previous posts on the topic, I am a great fan of P. Johnson/Suit shop and have used them extensively over the last 12 months. In addition to being supremely nice guys, Patrick and Tom have a great eye for detail, fit and colour. For the average guy, there's no reason why MTM can't fit as well as a bespoke garment (or even better when dealing with cheap/average Bespoke vs decent MTM). And $1500 for a fully canvassed, MTM suit in Australia.. come on, it's a bargain when compared to the alternatives.

The obsession with origin surprises me too. I think construction and detail are a better indicator of quality than provenance. FFS, the buttons on my Italian Made la-di-da Finamore shirt started falling off after two washes...

So, The Wraith, I'll stick with my "Offshore MTM" suits, jackets and trousers from P.Johnson. I'll also be keeping well away from your "Australian Bespoke" suggestions - If I want a boxy, unflattering, ill-fitting suit, I'll save myself $2000 and go to Roger David.

foo.gif

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF Coveted? Missed the memo? We only buy fings approved off brogs!
smile.gif

__PG__

Reaction score
- correct. Anyone here ever seen these on any of the SF coveted brands?

Haven't seen it on any of my Canali, Cantarelli or Mastai Ferretti stuff.

But I did see it on my Antichi Telai suit.

corey.m

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Wraith, mate, I think we get the point that you are not a fan of Patrick's. Seems like everytime they are brought up you chime in repeatedly with the "offshore mtm" term.

It's tiring.

The most appealing aspect of P Johnson to me is that there is a strong house aesthetic that is in line with my personal taste.

I've commissioned garments from two local bespoke tailors and I was ultimately unable to achieve what I wanted due to a ideological disconnections.

Admittedly once things began to sour, I no longer had the perseverance to steer the projects back on course.

After each fitting I'd leave with a bigger hole in my heart.

Conversely, every time I have shopped at Herringbone I have left feeling like a million bucks.

I'm very glad to hear that Ethan is on board and I'm looking forward to booking an appointment.

lennier

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a decent dry cleaner in the South Melbourne area that can press a suit properly, including the lining? I've had a similar experience to an earlier poster, in that alterations at Katrinas seem good but their pressing skills are sorely lacking!

Many thanks for any suggestions.

__PG__

Reaction score
I tried Bancrofts in South Yarra. They charge double for a dry clean ($32.50 for a 2-piece suit) compared to the rest of the world. I was about the swear 'never again' after I wasn't that impressed with the in-store service.. however the lapel does have a nice roll to it and they did get out all the marks and stains.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm Zara store soon on Bourke Street right next to Myer and DJs. Going to be fun. Anyone know whether they're going to pretend they're an upmarket retailer when it opens?

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Hmmm Zara store soon on Bourke Street right next to Myer and DJs. Going to be fun. Anyone know whether they're going to pretend they're an upmarket retailer when it opens?

Dunno the answer to that, but I wish they would bring their upmarket sibiling, Massimo Dutti, to Oz. Great for casual wear. www.massimodutti.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads