• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Pictures

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what he said.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Vass uses a vamp and two quarters (inside and outside sections have their own quarter) = 3 pieces.

AS does not use a separate quarter for the outside section. The outside goes through from toe to heel = 2 pieces.

can you explain it with pictures?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
can you explain it with pictures?
Sure - so you can see the back seams of the Vass and the ASHG at #177. and below you can see the inside seams: AS left, Vass right.
RearSeamsVassAS006.jpg
and here you can see the Vass has an outside seam too (so it's got 3 pieces of leather in the upper). The ASHG doesn't (so it's got 2 pieces of leather in the upper).
RearSeamsVassAS002-1.jpg
It makes the AS a slightly sleeker shoe than the Vass looking from the side - as much as a monk can look sleek. Not necessarily better. What's more noticeable I think is the closer cut sole and immaculate leather on the ASHG.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pliny
Sure - so you can see the back seams of the Vass and the ASHG at #177.
and below you can see the inside seams: AS left, Vass right.
RearSeamsVassAS006.jpg

and here you can see the Vass has an outside seam too (so it's got 3 pieces of leather in the upper). The ASHG doesn't (so it's got 2 pieces of leather in the upper).
RearSeamsVassAS002-1.jpg

It makes the AS a slightly sleeker shoe than the Vass looking from the side - as much as a monk can look sleek. Not necessarily better. What's more noticeable I think is the closer cut sole and immaculate leather on the ASHG.

Great pictures. I have to say that I really enjoy both. I love the style of the AS Handgrade double monk--very classic and refined. For different reasons the Vass is also a beautiful shoe.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burton
Great pictures. I have to say that I really enjoy both. I love the style of the AS Handgrade double monk--very classic and refined. For different reasons the Vass is also a beautiful shoe.

+1. Tough to pick a favorite as I love them both! Congrats on some great choices. How is the fit on both of them? Is one wider and/or longer?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burton
Cheers. Clintonf designed the style; Chay Cooper coloured the semi-crust leather. The medallion is from the ASHG Milton. I love the simplicity of the Vass too. Very wearable.
+1. Tough to pick a favorite as I love them both! Congrats on some great choices. How is the fit on both of them? Is one wider and/or longer?
Thanks - they're both 43.5s, and the Vass F and the AS 48 are very similar in shape. When I swap the trees there's hardly any compressibility in the vamp of either - they're that close. But the Vass is slightly roomier in the toebox. The AS is exactly the same width at the widest point and slightly longer overall, but it's more aggressively waisted. The AS heel is slightly smaller in all 3 dimensions. The Vass' Rendenbach double sole is quite a bit thicker than the AS double.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-post from the Shoe Appreciation thread. While not Handgrade these are MTO.

Here are my new Alfred Sargent Culfords. I REALLY like the way they turned out. I requested dark brown country calf and didn't realize the soles would have some dark tan and the eyelets would be a nice brass color. For some reason I was thinking that everything would be dark, but this is much better. Kudos to Chay and AS!

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

emptym

Reaction score
Chay has great taste for little details like that. Is this your Springline last modified, D, or a normal last?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Chay has great taste for little details like that. Is this your Springline last modified, D, or a normal last?

That he does! This is actually the #48 soft square Handgrade last, but made to the regular Culford standards. This last fit me best and was well worth the 50 sterling surcharge to alter the last on an existing model.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slewfoot;3984023 said:
Cross-post from the Shoe Appreciation thread. While not Handgrade these are MTO.

re: Culfords

Not much call for boots like that here where it's just hot day after day, year round - but those are special. The Dainite sole without bevel or fiddle looks good, and ditto on the strength and simplicity of the upper. The 48 is a terrific boot last - got the gravitas u want .. nice

fullb

Reaction score
I received few weeks ago my AS MTO order and I really love them thanks to Chay for great advice and good job.

Adelaide
Last 106
Handgrade finishing with oak bark fiddleback sole.
Burnished chestnut Calf.
Lasted wooden shoetrees.

ASH10.jpg

ASH08.jpg

ASH04.jpg

ASH11.jpg

ASH17.jpg

ASH07.jpg

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fullb
I received few weeks ago my AS MTO order and I really love them thanks to Chay for great advice and good job.

Adelaide
Last 106
Handgrade finishing with oak bark fiddleback sole.
Burnished chestnut Calf.
Lasted wooden shoetrees.

ASH10.jpg

ASH08.jpg

ASH04.jpg

ASH11.jpg

ASH17.jpg

ASH07.jpg

i like this config

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads