• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Finally got around to wearing my number 8 cap toe boots today.
biggrin.gif

I got an instruction care card from Alden with a purchase of Cigar Shells. It states that they recommend #8 wax on all their cordovans. Has anyone try it on a lighter shade like Cigar or Ravello?

Alden specifically sells a brown and tan wax. That's what I use on my lighter shells. I think you'd be crazy to use #8 wax on Whiskey or Ravello.

triumphman

Reaction score
meant to address it to brothersharp...looks good though rkd.

I recently picked up a pair of #8 indy's and waiting for a pair of LS black tankers from a forum member
smile.gif

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i got brown wax for my cigars. they have all the colors ... i would def not use 8 on lighter shell

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brothersharp
I bought them back in October, and all that I knew was that they looked nice and were handcrafted--therefore being durable to the point of achieving 'lifetime-lasting' status. Luckily, the post holiday blizzard in NY gave me a great chance to see exactly how durable they were.
These things do not equate. Shoes last a lifetime from proper maintenance and appropriate wear. Those boots look like they've been through the trenches. Honestly, they look trashed and there is no way that they will last a lifetime if you continue to wear them like that. I can't even reconcile what they would have looked like when they were new.

I don't know too many boots that could have withstood that storm.
It doesn't look like your Aldens withstood them either. I'm not sure why you're so convinced that your Aldens faired well in that storm. You should seriously consider some boots designed specifically for winter conditions (i.e. a 12" boot with a rubber sole).

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
Thanks for that follow-up. Did you convey that suggestion to Alden? I would be curious to hear what their response was to that.

That is the main flaw of the crepe sole. That being said, the comfort level is second to none.

Well, the response was, "This is how we do it.". No negative at all, but it's just their style. Everyone at Alden I have dealt with is helpful.

Maybe a possible future custom order though?

rabidawg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherHead

Is this your boot
bb2bf53d.jpg

These are great. What model are they?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide
Look nice and are handcrafted? How can you tell anymore? Next time buy a pair of Sorels for the deep snow/slush.
^^^^^^^ there is a fine line between "they are shoes and meant to be worn so don't worry about it" and "massive misuse" a $60 pair of bean boots from ebay will be a ton better in a snow storm/resulting slush than any aldens. and as bonus, you won't ruin your $400 - $700 aldens!

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are my first pair of Aldens so I didn't know much of what to expect from them. I bought them back in October, and all that I knew was that they looked nice and were handcrafted--therefore being durable to the point of achieving 'lifetime-lasting' status.

Sorry to beat this drum, but Alden shoes are not "handcrafted". As someone pointed out, some models have oriental hand stitching on them, the rest can only be called machine made. You could have purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds and received a similarly "handcrafted" pair of shoes.

And your boots look thrashed, But I'm glad you like them.

JOA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
yeah i got brown wax for my cigars. they have all the colors ... i would def not use 8 on lighter shell
I use black polish on all my Alden Shell--#8, Whiskey, Cigar. I've seen no issues with it. On the contrary, I think it adds to the patina (particularly my Whiskey Shell).

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JOA
I use black polish on all my Shell's--#8, Whiskey, Cigar. I've seen no issues with it. On the contrary, I think it adds to the patina (particularly my Whiskey Shell).

Have you ever posted a picture of your Whiskey shoes? If so, can you you link? If not, would you mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads