• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotsky1940

Reaction score
Salvation Army:

Two nice suits (at least for this area) Ralph Lauren Polo University Club, dark grey with pinstripes, nice virgin wool. I got excited. I tried it on. Fit! Then I noticed the sleeves: midget. Trousers the same. I could have bought it and had it tailored.... but I just didn't feel like going through the hassle. I have stuff I am slowly taking to the tailor and honestly didn't want one more. Is this a bad attitude? Also, nice Nordstrom's suit there as well... must have been the same guy... too short.

Other than that, couple of ties, including a really nice, subdued Talbot Christmas tie, it's a club with "Merry Christmas" in diagonal, almost looks like stripes. Very nice and fills a holiday niche not filled by the terrible Christmas ties you usually see.

pdxpm

Reaction score
I've seen the Polo University Club line a few times when thrifting. Where does it rank in the PRL lines? Is it a licensed product? I kind of assumed it was similar to the Lauren line.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still nothing good on the clothes front...

I did however do well yesterday with what I like to call thrifting for beer...my grocery store has a rack where they place the bottles from cases that had a bottle explode or break...you can pick your own 6 pack from the rack and get it for 3.99. Unfortunately, it is pretty much filled with cans of bud light and bottles of coors....reminds me of the racks of stafford shirts. I'll usually go for it I can get at least 4 bottles of something good (or maybe a mikes hard to have in my fridge for the girls who don't like beer). Most visits there isn't even 1...nothing beside american lites

Last night I managed 17 bottles of decent beer (and one st. pauli girl) for $12.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrifting for beer... lol, wish they would do that here! Skunked at a couple other stops today and it's too snowy to go to the other side of town like I planned.
ffffuuuu.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first pair of shoes! Picked up a pair of AE Evanston's in Walnut? Very good condition. Is $40 a lot to pay for thrifted shoes? They're a little big on me, however, I didn't lace them up so we'll see. Maybe I'll put it on BS but I do like them. What are your thoughts? Btw, this is just a pic I found of the shoe online.
46597278.jpg

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdxpm
I've seen the Polo University Club line a few times when thrifting. Where does it rank in the PRL lines? Is it a licensed product? I kind of assumed it was similar to the Lauren line.

Someone will correct me, but I believe it was made by HartMarx in the late 80's to mid 90's. My interview suit for college and sorority formals was a PUC...lasted forever until I put on weight.

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
I'm always thinking this thread needs more pictures.

Keeping with the AE theme: some Sanfords; a perfect fit and I suspect some conditioner will make the little mark on the toe less noticable.
70jd74.jpg

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
My first pair of shoes!

Picked up a pair of AE Evanston's in Walnut? Very good condition. Is $40 a lot to pay for thrifted shoes?

They're a little big on me, however, I didn't lace them up so we'll see. Maybe I'll put it on BS but I do like them.

What are your thoughts?

Do you like the style? It looks good to my eye. Do they fit? If the answers are yes to both then you did fine. In truly excellent condition those shoes would cost you more than $40 on ebay.

If the answers are not "yes", then that is a little pricey for flipping material.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^I agree with you about the pics. Nice Sanfords.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomorrowstars
I'm always thinking this thread needs more pictures.

Keeping with the AE theme: some Sanfords; a perfect fit and I suspect some conditioner will make the little mark on the toe less noticable.
70jd74.jpg

You couldn't remove the price sticker before taking the photo?
Congratulations, you've just taught your competition where to shop.
lol8[1].gif

Good find at a great price though.

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
It's no big surprise that there's some shoes at Value Village and this way I can passively share the deal I got. Update: can hardly see that mark after conditioning.
smile.gif
3090u1i.jpg
*Now vowing to not post in this thread without a picture.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
You couldn't remove the price sticker before taking the photo?
Congratulations, you've just taught your competition where to shop.
lol8[1].gif

Good find at a great price though.

I once found some vintage Florsheim shell cordovan longwings for $3.39 at Salvation Army. Uh oh, I just gave away my secret spot.

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
I once found some vintage Florsheim shell cordovan longwings for $3.39 at Salvation Army. Uh oh, I just gave away my secret spot.

So many vintage Florsheim shoes at the thrift stores in my area, but I don't know how to differentiate between the good ones and the mediocre ones. I've still yet to even buy any.

And keeping with my picture promise, my Cutter & Buck bag, $5.99 and a 15% student discount. Was embossed with a Johnson & Johnson logo (I assume it was a corporate gift), so I had my cobbler sew the luggage tag over it. It's chocolate brown:
2qjhonb.jpg

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomorrowstars
So many vintage Florsheim shoes at the thrift stores in my area, but I don't know how to differentiate between the good ones and the mediocre ones. I've still yet to even buy any.

And keeping with my picture promise, my Cutter & Buck bag, $5.99 and a 15% student discount. Was embossed with a Johnson & Johnson logo (I assume it was a corporate gift), so I had my cobbler sew the luggage tag over it. It's chocolate brown:
2qjhonb.jpg

Great idea!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads