• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
When ordering Flannel trou it asks for the inseam, would this be the same as the length specified when ordering chinos (i.e. 34 32, is the 32 the inseam?)
Yes. EDIT - But if you've never worn trousers from a particular brand before you might want to consider ordering them unhemmed, then having your local tailor hem them for you. There usually isn't much of a difference in inseam, but even a half inch can make a big difference.
How are their Donnegal trousers woven in Italy? I thought Donnegal came from ireland?
It did originally, but Donegal now describes the type of wool rather than place of origin.
How does the regent fit compare to the Milano fit?
Milano is slightly slimmer, lower rise.

bob_loblaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
Not a chance. 7 of the 9 pictures show the label. You should have seen what it was. The title was a bit of a keyword spam, but overall, it looks like the jacket is fairly represented.
OK thanks.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ulster%20Coat.jpg
Despite such inane responses as 'double-breasted coat' or 'car coat', it's actually called an Ulster Coat.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
Ulster%20Coat.jpg
Despite such inane responses as 'double-breasted coat' or 'car coat', it's actually called an Ulster Coat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_coat . Where is your cape? Also, Ulster coat is too long compared to yours. 3/4 overcoat and car coat are the same thing. And your picture is the car coat, despite whether or not it's shaped, or has belted back. The definition of a car coat is an overcoat that is short enough that you can drive in it.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that an US definition? For me a car coat is more pea coat length.

You can drive in a full length overcoat. The pain is more getting in/out of the car.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Is that an US definition? For me a car coat is more pea coat length.

You can drive in a full length overcoat. The pain is more getting in/out of the car.

That definition is as "US" as "driving shoes". Sure, you can drive with any shoes, or even barefooted.

Pea coat = up to mid-thigh
Car coat/ 3/4 overcoat = mid-thigh to knee
(Full) overcoat = below knee

saxamaphone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Wearing suspenders/braces with denim is ridiculous. I can't imagine it looking good. The biggest problem is going to be you'll have to get clip-on suspenders, which is the mark of the insert vaguely offensive epithet for rural American white person here.

Braces on suits are a different matter. No need to match them with anything, because unlike Larry King no one will ever see your braces. You'll keep them concealed underneath your suit coat at all times because you're at work and don't take your coat off in public. Expensive material can be silk, but there's nothing wrong with starting with a simple pair in nylon. These Brooks Brothers are nice, but you can get used Trafalgar braces on ebay fairly cheaply. Look for leather tabs.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Black

Just make sure your pants have the buttons for attachment, or pay to have your tailor install them. Never, never, never, never, never wear clip on suspenders. It cannot possibly look good and people will laugh at you and you won't ever get a woman to be interested in you as anything more than a reject from Revenge of the Nerds.

Haha thanks Birdman. Had no plans to go with the clip-on variety; I agree they look real cheesy. But didn't the Nerds end up landing all the hotties in the end?? Thanks for the link, and I'll check out the 'Bay.

I take off my suit jacket if I'm around the office and not in meetings all day. Don't see anything wrong with it if I'm just sitting at my desk and visiting the coffee maker. Is this violating a fashion rule of which I'm unaware?

Some recently acquired denim has beltloops as well as buttons for braces, so the thought was to try out braces as an experiment. I could see it possibly working in a throwback sorta way. Obviously it would have to be the right kind of material/design.

Thanks all for the help.

Merlino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Day Man
Good timing. I just read about this today. I can't vouch for it personally though.

http://www.valetmag.com/the-handbook...-shoes.php?rss

Thanks for the link! I read about using vinegar but I was a little apprehensive about putting the stuff on my shoes, especially since I read some completely different advice as well. But seeing as how several of you have now said vinegar.

zbelden00

Reaction score
noob SFer here... If I wanted to buy 5 pairs of wool slacks (thin and heavy) in one shot, where should I go? Can be unhemmed in size 34 for a guy who's 6'2" ~185 so i'd like the leg to be tapered a bit if possible. Where can I go @ around $70 a pair (if possible, and cheaper if possible).

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJE
These overcoat links were also moderately useful:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ercoat+styling
http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum...3eceb561cd5b20

Ich_dien, have you put up a photo of the Burberry 8x2 (8x4?)?

Vox started a coat thread, but all his pictures vanished, making it less useful. I could always fix that
devil.gif
. They basically looked like this, maybe marginally slimmer:
coata.jpg

RJE, that is a true Ulster, and it looks a lot like the one I just picked up from Caruso. I haven't managed to put up a decent pic of my Burberry one yet, but I might manage next week. Cheers!

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
True, but just because Crombie says it is, doesn't mean it is. Note the lack of patch pockets and belted back.

Both coats you put up are too short for a regular length overcoat. Ulster is a regular length overcoat. I will rest my case here, have fun trying to figure out the name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads