• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Verizon announced today iPhone 4 launching 2/10, but on 3G
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/iphone.jsp

Will the iPhone work on Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE network?
iPhone 4 works on Verizon Wireless' 3G network.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
4G isn't what you think it is then, because HSPA+ is just as "4G" as LTE

4G = 4th generation wireless network technology. Much like when we went from 2G to 3G, it should be a label used for major leap to a new wireless technology.

HSPA+ = upgraded 3G network technology that is on the last of its legs.

LTE = Next generation network technology that already has a planned major upgrade in the works.

What they are doing with HSPA+ reminds me a lot of the 2.5G stop gap that was available before 3G was fully deployed.

They didn't "decide to" HSPA+ became 4G last month.
They changed their marketing to reflect this.

Just because they gave in and decided to label HSPA+ 4G to please two of the carriers marketing departments does not make it right or any less misleading at the end of the day.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dr.no
Verizon announced today iPhone 4 launching 2/10, but on 3G
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/iphone.jsp

Will the iPhone work on Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE network?
iPhone 4 works on Verizon Wireless' 3G network.

Yes, it's just a CDMA iPhone 4. No other changes. We won't see an LTE iPhone till iPhone 5 or 6. If I was a better man, based on how conservative Apple is in these areas and the need for major feature creeps every two years, it won't happen till iPhone 6.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
4G = 4th generation wireless network technology. Much like when we went from 2G to 3G, it should be a label used for major leap to a new wireless technology.
But it's not. Not in the way you are using it. You are mistaken. THIS is misleading. 4G is a rating given to a system that meets a set of performance benchmarks by a committee. They don't give a **** if you use the equivalent of a string and two cans to meet these benchmarks, as long as you meet them. It really has nothing to do with new technology.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that LTE actually stands for something. Since VZW never explains it in their commercials, I always figured it was just three random bullshit letters they tacked on to the end of "4G" to make themselves seem special (kind of like "Trail Rated" or "THX certified").

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's just a CDMA iPhone 4. No other changes. We won't see an LTE iPhone till iPhone 5 or 6. If I was a better man, based on how conservative Apple is in these areas and the need for major feature creeps every two years, it won't happen till iPhone 6.

agree with the 5 or 6 before LTE.

however, the free hotspot for other devices is very nice. don't need a MiFi or 3G ipad anymore.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah. I'm ordering one for myself, and seeing if I can get an early upgrade for the old man, who's been with VZW for a long, long time (aka since the moto startac). His upgrade is eligible on march 21st, so maybe I can get them to budge a month and a half.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So when is the iPhone 5 coming out? My 3GS is on its last leg...

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
agree with the 5 or 6 before LTE. however, the free hotspot for other devices is very nice. don't need a MiFi or 3G ipad anymore.
Is it FREE? I know they are allowing it to be a mobile hotspot for 5 devices, but I was under the impression they would be adding an extra charge for this? I wouldn't get a CDMA iPhone anyways. I use simultaneousness voice and data on my ATT iPhone all the time and not having it is a deal breaker for me. Tokyo Slim, I will get to your points a little later when I have time. EDIT: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/v...obile-hotspot/ Yep, not free. Check out the screen grab.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
So when is the iPhone 5 coming out? My 3GS is on its last leg...

This summer. Apple releases a new "next generation" iPhone every year around the same time. I honestly don't expect the iPhone 5 to be much more then a tweaked and slightly upgraded iPhone 4, much like the 3GS was to the 3G. We won't see the next big leap till iPhone 6.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Tokyo Slim, I will get to your points a little later when I have time.

You don't have to. There really isn't anything more you can say.
smile.gif

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

What do you think about the Windows 7 Phone?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
What do you think about the Windows 7 Phone?
I haven't really played with one for more than about 2 seconds at the MS store. Nobody I know has one. I'm pretty happy with my Nexus One still.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
smile.gif

Jackass.
laugh.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Jackass.
laugh.gif

Jackass is a rating system given to me by you for fulfilling your performance requirements of being correct AND smug.
tongue.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads