• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cigar/Dark Cognac/Dark Brown Shell Cordovan Wingtips -- What are my options?

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
My apologies for the special flower thread.

I recently picked up a pair of RL Darlton Wingtips and fell in love with the color. Unfortunately, there is a problem and the shoes in question fit my left foot, but not my right.

I did some looking around, and there isn't much out there that is similar. In fact, I didn't find any shoe that was the same style as the Darlton. As I see it, my only options are as follows:

1) Repurchase the same shoe at retail from RL

2) Purchase similar shoe; Alden LWB in Cigar Schell

Are there any options I'm potentially missing? Are there any valid coupons for RL or Shoemart?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds like they just need breaking in... You could get an Alden short wing in Cigar.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
My apologies for the special flower thread.

I recently picked up a pair of RL Darlton Wingtips and fell in love with the color. Unfortunately, there is a problem and the shoes in question fit my left foot, but not my right.

I did some looking around, and there isn't much out there that is similar. In fact, I didn't find any shoe that was the same style as the Darlton. As I see it, my only options are as follows:

1) Repurchase the same shoe at retail from RL

2) Purchase similar shoe; Alden LWB in Cigar Schell

Are there any options I'm potentially missing? Are there any valid coupons for RL or Shoemart?

What size are your feet? Which is larger?

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That STINKS!

I'm looking for a pair of cigar shell darltons myself. Cigar shell is a great color, and I like the Darltons more than anything out by Alden. For some reason, I need to see the welt on my wingtips.

If you find any good alternatives, please let us know.

By the way, do you have any similar problems fitting other shoes? How much different in size are your feet?

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Sounds like they just need breaking in... You could get an Alden short wing in Cigar.
I'm worried that I'll continue to wear the shoes, and they'll never fit. As for the Aldens, where is this shoe available? I haven't seen that around.
Originally Posted by aj_del
I recall someone getting a special order Regent from AS in shell edit : found the page - http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...67#post1016167
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.
Originally Posted by alliswell
What size are your feet? Which is larger?
My feet are usually about an 11/11.5 depending on the shoe. I tried to squeeze in to 10.5 for the Darltons because I had read that they run a touch large.
Originally Posted by isshinryu101
That STINKS! I'm looking for a pair of cigar shell darltons myself. Cigar shell is a great color, and I like the Darltons more than anything out by Alden. For some reason, I need to see the welt on my wingtips. If you find any good alternatives, please let us know. By the way, do you have any similar problems fitting other shoes? How much different in size are your feet?
I would say they are a good half size different. I try to go for the best balance of not too loose on my left foot and not too tight on my right foot. Overall, I never truly have a great fit. Perfect candidate for bespoke I guess.
Originally Posted by rebel222
Vass will make you a pair.
I think the going rate may be out of my price range. What are they charging these days?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Send me a PM if you want to get rid of the 10.5s
blush.gif

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Send me a PM if you want to get rid of the 10.5s
blush.gif

If I do go that route, you are second in line. etb requested first in the original B&S thread.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RL never fit me right. I think they were too narrow. I think I sold them on here.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
I think the going rate may be out of my price range. What are they charging these days?
Not that much more than the retail price of the Darltons. There's a mistaken belief around here that Vass are really expensive. They are less than EGs or Lobbs. Edit: They may even be the same price as a pair of Darltons (retail).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
The RL never fit me right. I think they were too narrow. I think I sold them on here.
The Darlton wingtips never fit me well either. The Darlton bluchers were fine, but not the wingtips.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83

Originally Posted by JayJay
The Darlton wingtips never fit me well either. The Darlton bluchers were fine, but not the wingtips.

This is my issue too -- my toes on my right shoe are very cramped in the toe box.

Originally Posted by rebel222
Not that much more than the retail price of the Darltons. There's a mistaken belief around here that Vass are really expensive. They are less than EGs or Lobbs.

Edit: They may even be the same price as a pair of Darltons (retail).

I'm interested. How does one go about ordering Vass shoes? Would what I desire be a MTO option?

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
A Cigar Alden short wing would have to be MTO.

That's what I was afraid of. Do I have to go through a retailer, or can I contact Alden directly? I don't see a MTO option on their website.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads