• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RTW Jackets with functional cuffs - last button still stitched?

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only ever seen this on some Aquascutum jackets and thought it was a stylistic function but now I've got another jacket with the same feature. Is this to allow the wearer to take the sleeves up more easily?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon
Is this to allow the wearer to take the sleeves up more easily?

Yes, if you want to shorten the sleeves by a significant amount you can remove the end button and put it back on at the other end (or just leave it off and have one less button).

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Yes, if you want to shorten the sleeves by a significant amount you can remove the end button and put it back on at the other end (or just leave it off and have one less button).

Ahh of course. I sometimes suprise myself with my own stupidity....
shog[1].gif

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the last buttonhole a sham buttonhole (no option for opening it ) or the Cucinelli style one where you can cut through the buttonhole to make it into a working buttonhole ?

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Is the last buttonhole a sham buttonhole (no option for opening it ) or the Cucinelli style one where you can cut through the buttonhole to make it into a working buttonhole ?

Hmm this is where I'm getting confused. What's the difference visually?
Stephen.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Split lining on the inside of the sleeve

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like you can cut through it. I'm sure that most of the other jackets I've had are sham buttonholes (like the Aquascutum).
Thanks for the clarification ^^

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With split lining type of buttonholes, I think it is more difficult to alter from the sleeve

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Split lining on the inside of the sleeve

But since the other buttons are functional, it's likely that the lining may be split regardless of whether the last button is ready to cut or not.

Icehawk

Reaction score
I saw this on D2 jacket the other day - the first three were working but the one nearest the cuff was blanked off. I thought this was to force you to leave the button undone but it also makes sense to allow for some alterations... but I have to think on a fashion brand like D2 it's about the faux sprezzatura.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
I saw this on D2 jacket the other day - the first three were working but the one nearest the cuff was blanked off. I thought this was to force you to leave the button undone but it also makes sense to allow for some alterations... but I have to think on a fashion brand like D2 it's about the faux sprezzatura.

This is exactly what I thought. The jacket in question was a Pal Zileri Sartoriale so I thought no way could it be blanked for fashion. Just popped to the alterations guy and he confirmed it's supposed to be cut through (as long as you don't want the sleeves shortened).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads