• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsoren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
Would look better with
1. More colorful scarf, maybe one with some variegated texture even. Scarf should only be worn with outerwear too, otherwise it looks like a fashion accessory.
2. Knit that doesn't have toggles (mostly gimmicky trend, IMO)
3. Calf chukkas instead of Clark DBs
4. Non-Nato watch band (way played out at this point)

Thanks for the feedback. I generally don't wear scarves very often, as they aren't needed very much where I live. I agree that it can look stupid to wear them without outerwear. I put it on primarily to make the fit a bit less simplistic

I love the Nato watchband personally...

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
What does the winner of this contest win? Nothing that can make up for looking your lower body looking absurd for an entire year, no doubt.

You win the props of your internet friends. Many people here will look absurd year after year just to win that prize.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3370/wtf2zk.jpg

I like that a lot, Lel. Good stuff. Is the sweater NDG?

Not from today (wore sweats all day since I'm sick at home with battling a cold and sinus issues), but from yesterday:

P1010266.jpg

P1010262.jpg

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As opposed to a functional piece that actually keeps you warm.

I don't see why this should matter.

They also just look better when paired with outerwear.

I generally agree with this, but it depends on the type of scarf.

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028

Not from today (wore sweats all day since I'm sick at home with battling a cold and sinus issues), but from yesterday:

P1010266.jpg

P1010262.jpg

thats an ndg knit right?

i want it >.> albeit probably in grey or black

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

P1010266.jpg

P1010262.jpg

I'm not sure how I feel about the placement of the buttons on that NDG cardigan, but the texture, color, and shape of that shawl collar is God damn amazing.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You win the props of your internet friends. Many people here will look absurd year after year just to win that prize.

Not here, since I don't think I've seen anyone say anything positive about the cuffs.

P1010262.jpg

Is that shirt Epaulet?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
hey everyone,
i like my jeans w/ a single cuff. if you like your jeans some other way AWESOME!
also, if you think its a good fit say 'hey, good fit' cause adding 'but you should ...x' totally negates any of the 'hey, good fit' parts.

robbie

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cowsareforeating
thats an ndg knit right? i want it >.> albeit probably in grey or black
Yeah the original version from FW09. The grey one looked great too. I believe mellowfellow owns both.
[/SPOILER] I'm not sure how I feel about the placement of the buttons on that NDG cardigan, but the texture, color, and shape of that shawl collar is God damn amazing.
Yeah texture, shape, and color are great. My most worn knit so far. I actually like the button placement a good deal on this one. Breaks up the monotony of the other traditional cardigans out there and that I already own. EDIT: drosen - shoes are Rachel Comey Spencer Boots, shirt is gingham flannel from Epaulet. I should just post details I guess huh?

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
I don't see why this should matter.
It's not a hard and fast rule of course. There are many design elements that are obviously for pure aesthetic purposes, and we like them. But a scarf by itself just strikes me as a bit of frippery, tawdrily ornamental, and even kind of effeminate. It also comes off as a cheap, lazy, or unskilled way at sprucing up a look, and as such, it seems better to just go without. Don't be the guy who wanted to look nice, but just failed. Paired with outerwear though, the functionality of the piece gives you an excuse to also show off something nice that you have. It's kind of like how it's often said that watches are the only jewelry that men can wear. The functionality of the clock gives us an excuse to show off something nice that we have. Obviously, again, the watch thing is not some kind of iron law, but as a very general proposition, there's something about it that resonates at least with me. Again, the scarf thing is not a hard and fast rule. If you're wearing a really chunky sweater, I can also see a scarf going well with it. An obvious gross offense would be a thin merino wool v-neck sweater paired with a wimpy looking scarf.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a bit of frippery, tawdrily ornamental, and even kind of effeminate.

I enjoy these things, and don't feel the need to make up silly excuses like functionality to wear things I enjoy. So how does a classy gent like yourself spruce up a look?

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
I enjoy these things, and don't feel the need to make up silly excuses like functionality to wear things I enjoy. So how does a classy gent like yourself spruce up a look?

Make sure everything you buy counts, then you don't have to spruce anything up.

Well that, and I weave tie bars, raw leather bracelets, and bright shoelaces together - mixing metals, leather, and cotton - into one big scarf and then wear it with t-shirt and jeans. My accessory is made up of accessories. That's how steezy I am.

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
i believe the classical response to wearing scarves w/o outerwear would be such: it's easy to look like you're trying too hard that being said -- if you don't look as such, then you're wearing the scarf and the scarf isn't wearing you. so wear scarves as you please and as you can
wink.gif
<3 scarves

chrispy179

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dls6128
pq9ul.jpg

****** phone camera x business caz

Blazer and tie are navy, shoes are brown suede wingtips.

very new england. whats the blazer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads