• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Them Vietnamese Sandwiches

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
****, where in Chicago are they $3? I'll add that spot to my Chicago to-do list whenever it is I have a chance to get out there...

I like the version (and a bunch of their other sandiwches) at BAOGETTE in NYC.

Ba Le, right around 5000 N Broadway. $2.95, and also the best banh mi in the city. Also, Tank Noodle is right across the street, which is probably the best pho in the city. I haven't explored much pho in Chicago, but I know a few people who say Tank Noodle is def the best.
OH and while you're there you can pop into La Patisserie P. Really great French/Vietnamese pastry shop.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had one of these, my curiosity is now piqued. Where can I get one in Northern Virginia?

i10casual

Reaction score
Love them! I wish I were vietnamese so my mother would be able to cook this food!

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
I've never had one of these, my curiosity is now piqued. Where can I get one in Northern Virginia?

Eden Center at Seven Corners in Falls Church. It's awesome.

EMY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by i10casual
Love them! I wish I were vietnamese so my mother would be able to cook this food!

you could always get a viet gf.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Ba Le, right around 5000 N Broadway. $2.95, and also the best banh mi in the city. Also, Tank Noodle is right across the street, which is probably the best pho in the city. I haven't explored much pho in Chicago, but I know a few people who say Tank Noodle is def the best.
OH and while you're there you can pop into La Patisserie P. Really great French/Vietnamese pastry shop.

Thanks kwilk.

Originally Posted by EMY
you could always get a viet gf.

+1

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you could just spend $3 and buy one without any other fuss.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil

We're talking about sandwiches here, right?

EMY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil

True,dep gais tend to be drama queens.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
We're talking about sandwiches here, right?

I suppose it depends on which country you're in.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g transistor
That's not true at all. BBQ pork is often used in banh mi, at least around here it has been. When I was younger, the BBQ pork banh mi was all that I would ever eat from a banh mi joint. I even got one in Saigon a couple years ago.

yup....this is where I go.

http://www.noodlepie.com/2006/02/is_this_the_bes.html

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
ffffuuuu.gif
i love banh mi hanoi had some of the worst banh mis i have ever had. there was this random banh mi joint near tufts medical school that was daaamn good. i eat a banh mi every other day i'm in nyc. -_- god. i love a good banh mi

Hanoi food - with the possible exception of bun cha - is crap. Bland and tasteless. The only people who like Hanoi food are Hanoians. Cue whacked telling us that Hanoi food is The True Vietnamese Cuisine and that the rest of our taste buds have been warped by overseas Vietnamese restaurants that are all run by southerners who make everything too sweet and too spicy. Cue me reminding whacked that I said the only people that like Hanoi food are Hanoians and he is a Hanoian
smile.gif
(PS chuc mung nam moi Son)

genericman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Durian may be the only food I absolutely despise.

andrew zimmern from bizarre foods can't do durian either....what a panzy
tounge.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Vietnam, banh mi can be had with a variety of fillings, from pate, scrambled egg, lap xuong (lap chong/Chinese sausage), cha bong, pork prepared in various manners (not just BBQ), among other things. Banh mi xiu mai (per Matt's post) is but one type of banh mi. (PS: well done, Matt. The same to you.)

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
In Vietnam, banh mi can be had with a variety of fillings, from pate, scrambled egg, lap xuong (lap chong/Chinese sausage), cha bong, pork prepared in various manners (not just BBQ), among other things.
ya, banh mi itself just means bread. You can basically put anything on it. Hanoi especially is now overrun with banh mi ke bap - basically spit roasted kebab style meat (generally pork) served on banh mi. I quite like it, but a lot of people hate it...kebab purists I guess. My old roommate pretty much lived on a diet of banh mi op la - which roughly is an omelet rolled up inside bread, so, as whacked said, they'll put anything on there.
Banh mi xiu mai (per Matt's post) is but one type of banh mi.
What is weird about that place is that she doesn't really sell banh mi xiu mai despite having it plastered all over her cart, it is basically banh mi thit nuong with a xiu-mai-esque sauce (which is what makes it so good). Getting very semantic on this, but we got in a conversation with her about it once, I think she used to make "proper" xiu mai, but the thit nuong in xiu mai gravy was outselling it by so much that she just stopped making it...but still, it's what her cart says. She loves me there, but she is like the soup nazi of banh mi. Sells out every single day. Known to ban people for dissent etc etc. Next time you are in town, I'll take you there man. Unrelated to above...how are you spending your Tet, Son?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics