• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

URALLMORONS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
I'm not sure that fabric selection is a big issue. I've always felt it's construction. Seems like they source top-line fabrics and then have clothes made in China with little quality control. Not trying to bash them (guess it sounds like it), but compare a J Crew piece made in China with a Ralph Lauren piece made in China. J Crew's quality control could stand to be taken up a notch.

Slimmer fits, you have a good point.

Didn't he get a $1 million bonus from Mickey one year? I guess cut and paste works, even though I agree with you.

No Jenna Lyons did and thats why she is now the VP of JCrew. She is the boss of Frank....haha. Im sorry but he just doesnt make anything dope anymore(for a little while he was on a decent roll.) I am waiting to see him start biting off of EG and WWM more. I know it's coming. I mean he did it to Mr. Freedom and even had MF making clothes for them and then relabeling it as their own.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by URALLMORONS
No Jenna Lyons did and thats why she is now the VP of JCrew. She is the boss of Frank....haha. Im sorry but he just doesnt make anything dope anymore(for a little while he was on a decent roll.) I am waiting to see him start biting off of EG and WWM more. I know it's coming. I mean he did it to Mr. Freedom and even had MF making clothes for them and then relabeling it as their own.

It seems like he hasn't really done anything new in a long time. Seems like everything is just updating the same styles in slightly different fabrics or colors.

As for Jenna Lyons - all the women I know think highly of J Crew. So she must be doing something right.

CityofAngles

Reaction score
can anyone help me out?

I bought 3 j crew causal button down shirts- they say tailored fit.

I bought M as S was too tight. The M is a bit roomy all over so i either want to get it taken in a bit or can i wash it and make it shrink? that would be great.

AEB A4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityofAngles
can anyone help me out?

I bought 3 j crew causal button down shirts- they say tailored fit.

I bought M as S was too tight. The M is a bit roomy all over so i either want to get it taken in a bit or can i wash it and make it shrink? that would be great.

Shrink them then have them darted. If its too big everywhere then return it.

CityofAngles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AEB A4
Shrink them then have them darted. If its too big everywhere then return it.

whats the best technique to shrink? cold or hot water?

dsoren

Reaction score
I'm not sure that fabric selection is a big issue. I've always felt it's construction. Seems like they source top-line fabrics and then have clothes made in China with little quality control. Not trying to bash them (guess it sounds like it), but compare a J Crew piece made in China with a Ralph Lauren piece made in China. J Crew's quality control could stand to be taken up a notch.

Agreed. My biggest problem is a lack of consistency in the way the clothes fit and wear.

It seems like he hasn't really done anything new in a long time. Seems like everything is just updating the same styles in slightly different fabrics or colors.

I think he is confined by the brand. He is a pretty dope designer. I think that some of the looks he puts together are killer. He has also been the force behind the curation of the NYC men's shops, which I think he is doing a great job at.

Plus, he has killer taste. See here: http://mistercrew.com/blog/2010/01/2...-in-free-easy/

corsairjuly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mellowfellow
The girlfriend goes to jcrew every week, every now and then I find some good stuffs on sales. When I picked up that marled cardigan, I thought it was for women since the cut is really small/slim. The fit is nice, I'll post a fit soon. Bought it cause it reminds of the NDG shetland, which I also have
smile.gif

Nice. Really interested to see a fit pic of the cardigan, mellowfellow.
smile.gif

Cheese1

Reaction score
How long does j crew's final sale go on for? Is it a year round thing, or just to clear winter merch?

Harbin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mellowfellow
additional 40% off in store final sales. Picked up the puffer vest and shawl marled cardigan. Both are size XS. Fit pretty well.

33260C6.jpg

jcrew.jpg

I just ordered the same vest in size M, do you know if they fit big? Your is an XS, are you usually that size in other jcrew outerwear?

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cheese1
How long does j crew's final sale go on for? Is it a year round thing, or just to clear winter merch?
IIRC, final sales are for clearing winter and summer merchandise, which means they happen twice each year.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityofAngles
whats the best technique to shrink? cold or hot water?

Hot water is your best option. Then use the tumble dryer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads