• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede belt with shoes that are not suede?

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Is it OK to wear a suede belt with shoes that are not suede, if the belt is approximately the same hue as the shoe?

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
Is it OK to wear a suede belt with shoes that are not suede, if the belt is approximately the same hue as the shoe?

Even though it might be breaking "the rules" of the style conservatives, I would say yes it is ok, but it depends on your outfit. If you are wearing a nice suit with your nicest pair of calfskin dress shoes (let's say oxfords for the sake of argument) then I think a suede belt is inappropriate for this attire because it throws off the look considering suede is less formal.

But if you were to wear some thicker wool trousers, a button up shirt + sport coat and pair that outfit with let's say a rubber-soled, pebblegrain (or any more casual leather) derby, then adding a suede belt would not look bad.

That's just my opinion though. In my mind, if one looks good in his mix/match attire, then who really gives a **** if it is 'ok' or not. Some style icons, in history, broke the rules only to create new one's with how they broke the old one's.

NiFTY

Reaction score
i wouldn't with a suit. casually it would be okay in my opinion.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of boots that are built like hiking boots but look like dress shoes under pants. The best "match" I found for them was a suede belt and I wear it with pride.

Granted, boots are not the most formal of shoes and I would not wear it with a suit unless I was trying to make a statement.

For business casual, it is fine though.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm OK with that.

In fact, I try not to match match.

But I belong to the super-minority here on SF when it comes to that opinion.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
I have a pair of boots that are built like hiking boots but look like dress shoes under pants. The best "match" I found for them was a suede belt and I wear it with pride.

Granted, boots are not the most formal of shoes and I would not wear it with a suit unless I was trying to make a statement.

For business casual, it is fine though.

Photos?

By the way, i think that MaFooFan already confirmed, in another thread, that you need not (should not?) "match" suede+suede and that calf+suede was not only acceptable but maybe even preferable. At least I believe to recall that this was what he said. IIRC, the conclusion was that you only need one brown belt for all of your shoes. Preferably an alligator belt.

I almost never wear suede shoes or boots with a suit, but often with sport coats. I then almost always wear suede+suede. But then I have no alligator belts.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Photos?

By the way, i think that MaFooFan already confirmed, in another thread, that you need not (should not?) "match" suede+suede and that calf+suede was not only acceptable but maybe even preferable. At least I believe to recall that this was what he said. IIRC, the conclusion was that you only need one brown belt for all of your shoes. Preferably an alligator belt.

I almost never wear suede shoes or boots with a suit, but often with sport coats. I then almost always wear suede+suede. But then I have no alligator belts.

I like to mix and match my belts and my brown shoes. I match them, but I do not mean an exact color. Some colors or shades go together better than others.

Since photos were asked for, I appologize in advance for those who have already seen these pictures.

Shoes043.jpg

Shoes042.jpg

No photos of the suede belt that I wear them with though.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
I like to mix and match my belts and my brown shoes. I match them, but I do not mean an exact color. Some colors or shades go together better than others.

Since photos were asked for, I appologize in advance for those who have already seen these pictures.

Shoes043.jpg

Shoes042.jpg

No photos of the suede belt that I wear them with though.

Thanks. I see that your "hiking boots" are quite different from mine; when I hear "hiking boots" I think split leather, goretex, thich vibram soles, etc. You know, something from North Face; I just couldn't imagine how they could look like dress shoes. Now I see what you mean. Thanks.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
I had asked about "suede + suede" and consensus was too matchy-matchy, which I agree with. I agree with "not with a suit," especially a dressy one. I was lucky enough to score an alligator at half price from Brooks Bros., so I have that in my pocket as an all-around.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
I had asked about "suede + suede" and consensus was too matchy-matchy, which I agree with. I agree with "not with a suit," especially a dressy one. I was lucky enough to score an alligator at half price from Brooks Bros., so I have that in my pocket as an all-around.

I bought the same belt but returned it this weekend. Although the gator was nice and soft and overall it was a nice belt, there were too many pieces or skin. I believe I counted four different pieces. The belt was put together well and you had to look closely to see the different pieces of hide as they matched them well. However, for $300 + dollars, I felt I could better spend my money elseware.

Actually, I saw a distressed brown leather jacket at BB that was 50% off. It was an almost even trade
smile.gif

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just buy matching suede shoes.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I'm OK with that.

In fact, I try not to match match.

But I belong to the super-minority here on SF when it comes to that opinion.

+1. My only brown belt is suede. For suits I wear braces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads