• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicken Confit in Olive Oil

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the idea for this dish from a nearby restaurant (Domku on Upshur--they specialize in Eastern European and Scandinavian fare) and was excited by the prospect of a cheaper, healthier confit. It came out very good.

1 package chicken thighs
3 cloves garlic
olive oil - approximately 1.5 cups
black and red pepper to taste

1. Brine the chicken for approximately eight hours (I skipped this step).
2. Drain chicken, place in slow cooker, and cover almost completely in olive oil. Add spices.
3. Cook on high for one hour, then on low for another seven.
4. Carefully remove from slow cooker and serve.

I know olive oil is unstable at high temperatures, but do you think it might also oxidize if cooked for this long? It did not look or taste burnt and the chicken is delicious.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have confited pork in olive oil and it does work. however, i have to say that it did seem harder to digest. i don't know whether i'm getting delicate in my old age, but i've never had that problem with pork or duck fat.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
I got the idea for this dish from a nearby restaurant (Domku on Upshur--they specialize in Eastern European and Scandinavian fare) and was excited by the prospect of a cheaper, healthier confit. It came out very good.

1 package chicken thighs
3 cloves garlic
olive oil - approximately 1.5 cups
black and red pepper to taste

1. Brine the chicken for approximately eight hours (I skipped this step).
2. Drain chicken, place in slow cooker, and cover almost completely in olive oil. Add spices.
3. Cook on high for one hour, then on low for another seven.
4. Carefully remove from slow cooker and serve.

I know olive oil is unstable at high temperatures, but do you think it might also oxidize if cooked for this long? It did not look or taste burnt and the chicken is delicious.

I am going to try this.

Off the cuff (and I am no authority), I doubt you'll have trouble with olive oil in the first hour of a slow cooker/crock pot (I know I wouldn't in mine). You could always switch to canola oil.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, why didn't you brine when the recipe called for it? I ask as I've become a big fan of brining.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Just out of curiousity, why didn't you brine when the recipe called for it? I ask as I've become a big fan of brining.

Brining is great except for if you care about your figure... you retain a lot of water.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because I hadn't decide what I wanted to make in advance.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have heard about octopus cooked this way being amazing but never found a recipe.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a very, very slight olive oil flavor, but that could be attributed to the fact that I was looking for it. Over all, I thought it was great. Would make it again.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
There was a very, very slight olive oil flavor, but that could be attributed to the fact that I was looking for it. Over all, I thought it was great. Would make it again.

You didn't happen to take any pictures did you? How was the texture? Skin?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The skin was about what one would expect from two-hour-old chicken confit. It cooked for about 1.5 hours longer that the recipe recommends because no one was home to remove it from the oil. I got home about two hours after my wife removed it from the oil.

I actually packed the leftovers for lunch today, and can upload pics if you like, but I don't know how much you're going to take away from cell phone pics of two day old chicken.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does the skin crisp when you re-heat it? i've never really gotten the point of confited chicken, to be honest. duck and pork work for me because when you saute them the surface crisps up nice ... great contrast to the meat. with chicken, i'd be afraid it would just be mush on mush.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did not bother crisping the skin. I will try next time. I bet that really improves the texture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads