• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WSJ: Why suits are getting more expensive

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That story is about Brannock.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
whoops!
http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2011/01/1...-costing-more/

still a great story about the Brannoch!
biggrin.gif

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The article seems to be inspired by the SF thread on the same topic

JG000

Reaction score
I see this first hand in my industry. The price of cotton is surging and as manufacturers price increases become a necessary evil. It's a shame, but a hard problem to alleviate.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much the price of "raw" wool influences the price of the final cloth.
I also observe that the wool price reached a "14-year high". Thus, in spite of inflation, it seems that wool cost about the same 14 years ago. So it is actually cheaper today. I wonder if suit prices fell in the period following the maximum 14 years ago.
On the other hand, I am glad to hear that prices are rising because of the demand and because the tailors demand a better salary. This means that in spite of the economic crisis in many western countries, skilled Asian workers have a lot of work and may get better paid. I am glad for them.

dbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
yfyf was quoted in that, now his prices will be going up 10-20% is he is officially big time.

To be clear, he's not raising his prices.

It's Chan, for whom he hosts a corner, that is.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Just a thought - I have heard of fabric agents charging a 300% markup, and have witnessed first hand a 250% markup.

Just how much are they getting the fabrics for to charge that sort of markup?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads