• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mrtef3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Not a trench. Just a double breasted overcoat.
Agreed. But a little moddish, based on the tapered to flared fit. Which is kind of a paradox, based on my earlier 19th Century comment.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flea Spray
Today, I was hoping to buy a second pair of trousers to match a suit I recently bought. They had 34S and 34L, but no 34-Regular, like I need, and it doesn't look like they'll be getting any more in.

Is there anything more to the long legged version other than the length of the leg itself? I was trying to compare the short and long versions with a view to getting the long ones and having them altered afterwards, but holding them up together it seemed like the taper of the leg was slightly different too? This led me to wonder if it really was, and if there could be other differences such as the crotch height or something?

Does anyone know if off-the-peg woolen suit trousers of the same waist but different leg lengths differ in any other way than where they decided to cut the leg and stitch the hem? I'd like to have two pairs that look exactly the same, not one that hangs funny or baggy!

I think the seat of the pants is different than a regular.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by che
This is how a double breasted suit should be warn and look like. Don't you agree?

No. not suppose to button the bottom button.

OTM

Reaction score
How much do you size up when buying BB Milano suit?

aceofhearts

Reaction score
Hi Guys

New to this forum and it looks like a great site.
I love my internet shopping for all sorts of clothing and electronics.

Just wanted to get some ideas or thoughts on clothing sites that deliver to Australia that you would reccomend. When I say clothing I mean more the designer brands for shirts, tees and shoes, etc

I know of quite a few but wanted to see if there are any other ideas out there which people really like.

Looked for a specific thread on this topic but could not find anything. Sorry if it is already there.

barrym97

Reaction score
What is wrong with this custom made shirt (from Thiland)? How do I tell the tailor to fix it?

I think it fits great as long as i don't move, but I feel like I am going to rip the seams if I cross my arms, raise my arms or gesticulate too wildly.

I can't even figure out what to tell the tailor to change. Is this just the way custom shirts are? Perfect fit, but don't move!

pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=8f428c2945

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Really, even when the bottom button is high up (like on my waistcoat)?
I believe then you can, depending on the buttoning stance. That was in fact my very first question on SF, something which Manton answered as being acceptable if the button stance is high enough. I quote --
Originally Posted by Manton
For a single breasted coat, the waist button -- which is the only button on a one button coat, the top button on a two button, and the middle button on a three button -- should be buttoned when standing. Some say it doesn't matter, and you can leave the coat unbuttoned. Not some thing I generally do or like, but hey. Others will say that it should be buttoned even when sitting, but most people unbutton a single-breasted coat when sitting. Some three button coats are so made that you can button both the middle and the top buttons; some are made so that the top button is for show and can't be buttoned. Personally, I don't much like true 3-buttons (the ones that close to the top) and think that, if you're going to wear one, you definitely should not button the top button. It looks seriously awful ever to button the bottom button of any single breasted coat, ever. All of this applies equally to suit coats as well as odd jackets (sport coats). DBs are a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Not a trench. Just a double breasted overcoat.

Originally Posted by mrtef3
Agreed. But a little moddish, based on the tapered to flared fit.

Which is kind of a paradox, based on my earlier 19th Century comment.

All very well, and largely the same conclusion I came to. Yet, surely this type of coat must have a name. It is almost a polo coat with the belted back and turned up cuffs / patch pockets. Yet it certainly does seem military inspired. Any more leads?

mickey711

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a pair of grey donegal tweed trousers made by Alongkorn Tailors . The fabric I'm considering is by Drapers, reference 6156 IIRC. Does anyone have any insights as to the quality and performance of Drapers fabrics, and is $360 a reasonable price to pay? EDIT: Alongkorn Tailors is one of the most storied tailors in the country, but I've had no previous experience with them.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys wear blazers and sportcoats? Do people where these nowadays?

Seems like you can only wear them if you are a middle aged man or someone who just got back from the 19th century.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
Where do you guys wear blazers and sportcoats? Do people where these nowadays?

Seems like you can only wear them if you are a middle aged man or someone who just got back from the 19th century.

Your avatar could use one.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
All very well, and largely the same conclusion I came to. Yet, surely this type of coat must have a name. It is almost a polo coat with the belted back and turned up cuffs / patch pockets. Yet it certainly does seem military inspired. Any more leads?

double breasted wool car coat.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not a car coat, honestly, it has a belted back...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads