• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
Ive ordered 3 times, all 3 times they arrived within 10 working days (no tracking though)

My Last Order was Dec 3, i got them one week before christmas

Thanks Tano. Now I'm getting a little pissed. I would have ordered some of those merinos by now if my last order had shown up.

__PG__

Reaction score
I ordered Sunglasses from the USA in late November. They shipped December 8th via USPS and I didn't get them until the 30th.

Don't underestimate the Christmas mail rush.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
I ordered Sunglasses from the USA in late November. They shipped December 8th via USPS and I didn't get them until the 30th.

Don't underestimate the Christmas mail rush.

USA is the slowest of all. Most of it internal.

I've been doing USA since before the Internet when it was tapes, mainly rare and hard to obtain music and live performances (bootlegs exchange), the USA has a very slow customs and internal US mail.

Re Viccel socks - remember a lot of airports and roads were closed around xmas due to snow + Xmas rush.

johnsnot - I ordered on 14 December they arrived a coupla days ago - say 1 or 2 Jan

Shoot Kemal an email - Go easy on him - hes friendly guy with a great product and service - I'd just order the merinos anyway.

edit:: I'm hanging out for his underwear

Well not literally hanging out - if you get my drift - I do have other undies

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
edit:: I'm hanging out for his underwear

Well not literally hanging out - if you get my drift - I do have other undies

laugh.gif

I've spoken to Kemal and he has assured me they have been sent. I'm an impatient SOB at the best of times, but will just have to keep waiting I guess.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of socks, I took Phat Guido's advice and had a look at Pantherella socks at DJs today.

I got three pairs of Pantherella socks for $9.95 each.
Given that two of them were originally $16.95 each and the third pair was originally $29.95, I thought that was a good deal!

streetminimal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Nope. I got most of mine from Lands End USA. They have special deals every now an then but even without that they are cheap and they land on your doorstep.
Thanks for the tip.
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Speaking of socks, I took Phat Guido's advice and had a look at Pantherella socks at DJs today. I got three pairs of Pantherella socks for $9.95 each. Given that two of them were originally $16.95 each and the third pair was originally $29.95, I thought that was a good deal!
Wait what? I went to DJ at Chadstone down here in Victoria and I got only two pairs for $13 each, 30% off from $19.95. I saw the Argyle pattern ones which were $29.95 a pair. Is this state bias or something?

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm Just got my Brunello Cucinelli wallet.. So damn nice

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Speaking of socks, I took Phat Guido's advice and had a look at Pantherella socks at DJs today.

I got three pairs of Pantherella socks for $9.95 each.
Given that two of them were originally $16.95 each and the third pair was originally $29.95, I thought that was a good deal!

Originally Posted by streetminimal
Wait what? I went to DJ at Chadstone down here in Victoria and I got only two pairs for $13 each, 30% off from $19.95. I saw the Argyle pattern ones which were $29.95 a pair. Is this state bias or something?

I must admit that I was quite surprised, too, as I had only expected to receive a 30% discount in line with a sign next to the sock racks. Perhaps I was the beneficiary of a lucky error on the part of the saleslady...

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in a Macbook pro 13in brand new if I decide to sell?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Harvey Norman hasn’t been be able to offer effective online retail and won’t be able to adapt as their model precludes it.

HN the company is essentially a franchise retail conglomerate and retail property owner/leaser. HN basically selects “prime” retail sites, develops them and populates them with a bunch of franchisees whom sell different things, beds, furniture, computers, white goods.

Their notion of service is a bastardised version of what the term should mean. Their notion of service extends to superficial customer focus up until the moment of sale and focused only on the completion of the sale. This sale will, very often, include the sale of finance to the customer.

As a side issue: Any idea of follow-up serve or ongoing customer loyalty or relationship is missing. HN and most (not all – Bunnings is an exception) other big box or category killers retailers built their business on price and price alone. To now whinge that others are doing the same (and often adding superior service) is at best disingenuous at worst dishonest.

Getting back to HNs model – it is a model that does not translate to online selling. This is why HN twice had a half hearted go at setting up online. Harvey doesn’t get the net shopping because his retail model is the antithesis. His model is based on cars, parking lots, buildings, property returns and essentially no customer focus. The franchise model is too fragmented to do online retailing successfully. The reliance on returns from property don’t jibe with online retailing.

Gerry Harvey will never be successful at online retailing. He will see online retailing as unfair, not playing by the rules and he will remain bitter because he does not and cannot understand it. He is going through what the other retailers went through when he first started up his model – when you don’t and can’t understand it – the new model always seems unfair.

The big department stores like Myers and DJs will, eventually, be able to compete successfully online. Their model is different.

I must say it is amusing to see Gerry Harvey saying today on the papers that he is hurt by tall the comments online and in talkback radio. Its easy to sling ignorant comments around when you have an army of PR people and sycophantic TV media who depend on your ads for an income. When the internet or talkback radio give the informed public a chance to comment – it seems unfair.

Welcome to competition and 2005 Gerry.

edit: I just heard Gerry Harvey on the 11 am news whingeing about the feedback he’s getting.

He can dish it out one way but can’t take it at all.

What a big sook.

All of the above. I never forget the computer I bought from HN that needed to be fixed by my consultant who discovered a wire tie (rubbish bag) attached inside that caused the problem. The item had been faulty and returned and turned around as new. Never again! Of course Gerry has not yet felt the sting of Costco when it gets cracking - US style - and punters find out how much of a rip off Australia is and that they can buy up to date IT and return it if is faulty or unsatisfactory.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody checked these guys out in Clarendon street?

From the puff piece:

" if you know your Loake's from your Grenson's you can rest assured they do too. But it's more than that; the reason you should get down to Beggar Man Thief is not because they have an amazing product selection (and they do) but because attitude is everything and having a good one the difference.

Beggar Man Thief has dare tread (yes, tread) where others haven't, picking up short run exclusives from established shoe makers like Grenson, Sebago and New Balance, selecting shapes and cuts that will suit Australian men and which demonstrate maturity and sophistication but not at a loss of fun and individuality. "

http://www.broadsheet.com.au/melbour...hief-shoe-shop

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Broadsheet Melbourne has some of the worst copy going around.

Haven't been to the store though.

monogram

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Anybody checked these guys out in Clarendon street?

From the puff piece:

" if you know your Loake's from your Grenson's you can rest assured they do too. But it's more than that; the reason you should get down to Beggar Man Thief is not because they have an amazing product selection (and they do) but because attitude is everything and having a good one the difference.

Beggar Man Thief has dare tread (yes, tread) where others haven't, picking up short run exclusives from established shoe makers like Grenson, Sebago and New Balance, selecting shapes and cuts that will suit Australian men and which demonstrate maturity and sophistication but not at a loss of fun and individuality. "

http://www.broadsheet.com.au/melbour...hief-shoe-shop

I've been into the store a couple of times and had a chat with Marc, one of the owners, who seems like an all round nice chap. They have decent range of Loake and Grenson (and a refreshing lack of pointy black fun shoes!), with some Church's on the way, apparently for Autumn/Winter. Prices are decent (cheaper than Henry Bucks, DJs and McClouds, but obviously not as cheap as online) and they're having a sale at the moment - they've got quite a few of the Loake 1880 range priced around $300, with the Grenson's slightly more.

If it wasn't for my new found obsession with Vass, I would certainly drop some cash there.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by monogram
If it wasn't for my new found obsession with Vass, I would certainly drop some cash there.

Damn, if only I knew a bit more about shoes when I was in Budapest in September I so would have loaded up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads