• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurants with Dress Codes: Take Back The Night!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
21 Club does not require a jacket. Upstairs at 21 requires a jacket, but not a tie (and I suspect if you're a paying customer they'd let you slide). When I attended at Upstairs everyone did have a jacket, 50% with ties.
The 21 club requires a jacket for Upstairs and the Bar Room. The tie requirement was dropped about a year ago. I ate at the Bar Room a month ago and all the men wore jackets. The food was forgettable. http://www.21club.com/web/onyc/hours.jsp

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Was going to say Prime Rib in Philadelphia... but just checked and they no longer require a jacket.

I believe the original Prime Rib in Baltimore still requires a jacket except during Restaurant Week.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to plenty restuarants with a jacket and tie policy but to be honest the food was that poor that i would have rather eaten my jacket and tie !!!!!

Dress code isnt always the guarantee of decent food only the guarantee that people will be dressed in a jacket and tie.

FELT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I have never been moved to go one place over another because of its dress code. Why on earth do you care what others are wearing?

I'm not a fan of imposed dress codes - doesn't equate to stylish clientele and certainly has no bearing on quality of food. But do you *really* not care what others are wearing? When you go to such lengths over what you wear yourself? I'd much rather be surrounded by people dressed well, and preferably in some harmony with their surroundings (ie if the restaurant is stylishly designed, it's a pain if the customers bring down the aesthetic tone).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nope, really don't care.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unholythree
The only such restaurant left in new Orleans. Sadly, Commander's Palace is now: "No shorts. Jackets preferred at dinner." according to their website. It seems everyone is now catering to tourists with no desire to dress up.

The last time I was there, last year actually, they were still handing out complimentary jackets to those who did not come so equipped. I guess they have caved though, which really is sad if you ask me. I really get pissed when I dress for dinner, only to be surrounded by slobs in shorts and tennis shoes.

Mike

spitfirees20

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
I was unthrilled. But I have noticed this trend towards sportsbarification, especially lately. Well, it's time for the counter-revolution. Somehow, someway, we have to preserve at least the possibility of enjoying a sense of occasion. Everything need not be reduced to the lowest common denominator.

You're much too late. Even if a place required a jacket, people would just wear an ill fitting black suit jacket with matching square toed rubber soled shoes.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You guys honestly care how other people dress?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go to a restaurant to eat, and I could care less about the dress code as long as the food is great.

In fact, most of the really good restaurants I've been to have had a relaxed lounge-like atmosphere, where despite the clear affluence of most customers, everyone was dressed comfortably.

Why on earth should I have a tie on when I eat? It's painful. And why on earth would I care about what the hell other people are wearing? I'm there to stuff my face.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys honestly care how other people dress?

Yes, I do...at certain places. I don't know if you have ever been to New Orleans, but Commander's Palace is an old Uptown antebellum mansion. It is a beautiful setting and a grand old establishment. It is a New Orleans tradition and I think coming in there like a slob is a slap in the face. Part of the charm of that place is the environment it creates, which is from another time. I would never go there not dressed, period.

Now, there are plenty of places where I don't care, but they are not Commander's.

Mike

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
who cares? restaurants (and their customers) should focus on the food........but that would be too logical, right?
As I focus on my food, I don't want to be distracted by the unwashed.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never been moved to go one place over another because of its dress code. Why on earth do you care what others are wearing?

+1, end of story.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Yes, I do...at certain places. I don't know if you have ever been to New Orleans, but Commander's Palace is an old Uptown antebellum mansion. It is a beautiful setting and a grand old establishment. It is a New Orleans tradition and I think coming in there like a slob is a slap in the face. Part of the charm of that place is the environment it creates, which is from another time. I would never go there not dressed, period.

Now, there are plenty of places where I don't care, but they are not Commander's.

Mike

Just went there a couple weeks ago..............sadly, but not surprising, the food was mediocre.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have never been moved to go one place over another because of its dress code.
I haven't either. But ... if the quality of the food is high and the decor is outstanding ... I do appreciate it when the dress of the patrons is "in sync."

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Charlotte and do not know of one place that has a dress code. I have been in high end places and had people in jeans and t-shirts a couple tables away. It is just part of why most countries see the US as a bunch of over indulgent slobs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads