• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurants with Dress Codes: Take Back The Night!

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viral
Respect to the owner??? How about the owner thanking their lucky stars people are still eating out in the midst of a recession? Are you a restaurant owner?

Nothing wrong with dressing up on your own accord for a night out/date/anniversary/etc., but to demand it???

G/L with that, buddy.
frown.gif

recession ended. last last june

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
The Dining Room at the Balsams Resort. Jacket required. They used to require black tie but they've caved in to the lowering of standards. Now it's just jacket and tie.
frown.gif

Dammit, I want to go somewhere that requires black tie for dinner. Need an excuse to wear my tuxedo.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing more annoying to me than a restaurant that requires a tie and jacket yet do not have a proper place to hang my hat.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was going to say Prime Rib in Philadelphia... but just checked and they no longer require a jacket. I think the only place in Philly is at the Four Seasons, Fountain Restaurant. For dinner only. The Union League also requires jackets, actually jacket and tie are preferred, but it's a member's only joint. From the Union League website:
Unacceptable Attire:The following attire is never acceptable on the first or second floors of the League House: jeans, denim wear, tee shirts, athletic wear, tank, halter, or jogging tops, untucked shirts, wrinkled clothing, shorts, baseball caps, sneakers, extremely casual or beach footwear.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Too bad it's a conservative club.

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
Spiaggia in Chicago requires you to wear a jacket if you sit in the dining room.

Musicguy, you'll be happy to know the Obamas, Mayor Daley, and the greatly beloved R. Kelly have all dined there. I also her Rod Stewart got sloppy drunk there, if that's any incentive.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have never been moved to go one place over another because of its dress code. Why on earth do you care what others are wearing?

blackjack

Reaction score
Please take off shoes ...
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I have never been moved to go one place over another because of its dress code. Why on earth do you care what others are wearing?

Big +1 to this. I have been out to many restaurants in a suit. I could care less if the other patrons were wearing suits or nice dresses. Annoying people will be annoying, whether they're dressed in $100 cheap suits or in jeans. Stop worrying so goddamn much about everyone else and just eat your meal and enjoy life.

blackjack

Reaction score
Take your hat off, we don't sell hot dogs here, took the bleachers out last week.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impossible task - at best you can compile an indicative list but any potential user would be foolish to think it complete or accurate.

WorldTraveller

Reaction score
I go to nice dinners as often as possible and I would say that other than Manhattan (LE BERNARDIN HOW I MISS YOU) I'd wager you're really talking about 10 restaurants or less per major metro area.

I spent a lot of years in Detroit, and went to pretty much every high end restaurant, and even though there is tons of money and high end clientelle even today (it has more millionaires than all but 7 other cities in the US), I was never required to wear a jacket or a tie (I still did occasionally though).

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How is the food in these places?

I'd rather go to a place with great food, then go to place to see other people dressed up. Also, most of the places that do have these policies keep "loaner jackets" which make the people there look even shittier than they would if they came in jeans and a tee, cause now there's a blue blazer that doesn't fit over it.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Requiring a jacket, while I can appreciate the intent, mostly = fail.

For example... a guy can show up in $2000 Lobb's, bespoke flannel trou, and a charvet shirt and tie and theoretically get turned away at the French Laundry. While another shows up wearing black Rockports, faded olive Dockers , a short sleeve plaid Chap shirt with no-name tie and an ill-fitting black sport coat (aka typical American dress-up). Now who adds more to the "desired" elegance of the joint?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am with the 'who cares?' camp.

I can appreciate that the restaurants can set their own rules to project some sort of formality or class. However, I don't decide on where to dine based on their dress code.

Real world practicality hopefully trump make-up contrivance.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Big +1 to this. I have been out to many restaurants in a suit. I could care less if the other patrons were wearing suits or nice dresses. Annoying people will be annoying, whether they're dressed in $100 cheap suits or in jeans. Stop worrying so goddamn much about everyone else and just eat your meal and enjoy life.
+2. I enjoy dressing nicely for a meal on occasion, especially where the atmosphere and food provide for a great dining experience such as Daniel's in NY or Everest in Chicago. As long as other patrons are dressed decently, then I couldn't care less about their attire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads