• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding wear predicament

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am attending a wedding in a month. I have decided to wear a grey suit with a blue micro windowpane pattern along with a pink shirt and a silver tie with a pink undertone shine. My question is, what type of pocket square should I be wearing? I am stuck. I've looked at pink/blue and white ginghams, plaids, etc. but can't find something that will tie everything together. Thank you for your time and advice.

Your friend,

- G

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't the pocketsquare match your tie?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White with gray perhaps? Blue/pink paisley?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Shouldn't the pocketsquare match your tie?

facepalm.gif

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matched tie and pocket square sets are quite simply, awful. A pocket square should go, not match. You have to coordinate it with the other aspects of your outfit. Tie, shirt, check on the suit, socks, whatever. But matching it exactly looks like you're trying way too hard.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Enlighten me.

It should complement the outfit without particularly being "matched up" against any aspect of the outfit.

To my wedding, I wore a pocket square (lilac and white) that was a shade of my wife's flower bouquet (purple/lilac).

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely not going to have a pocket square and tie color match. I have been looking for one that can both incorporate the light pink of the shirt while still have accents of light blue from the suit and cufflinks even. It is difficult to find one that will do this job without looking too silly and outrageous for a wedding. I have seen some blue and pink paisley pocket squares, however, it seemed to me (at least the few that I saw) were extremely bright and vivid. The colors were darker than that of my shirt and windowpanes of the suit and seemed to be way over the top. I want something that will compliment the colors, not overpower. In a previous thread (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=217836), this pocket square seems to work, especially if folded at the top center. The madras consolidates both the light pinks and light blues. However, I can't find these anywhere thus far, online or at retail. Also, I am not even sure if madras or plaid would be appropriate for this occasion. Also, yes, we are approaching spring and summer, this may seem a little more informal? Not sure if it is true or not, but I love the accent of personality from this square. Thank you again guys. - G

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're a guest at a wedding. This is no different from any other dress-up situation in your life. Wear something that looks like you know what you're doing, that doesn't look cheap, and think of a joke so that if a pretty girl/handsome boy asks about your PS, you don't blush.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
alliswell, that is great advice and I completely understand. I would just like a little assistance choosing the correct pocket square. Like you said, I just want to look like I know what I am doing as opposed to a complete disaster. Thank you.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads