• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
I know right!

Tinta del Toro is just the regional name for Tempranillo. I've really enjoyed most of the Toro wines I've had as they're a bit bigger and richer than some Riojas.

Ah, that's right, good call. But now that you have me thinking, you sure it's Temp and not Grenache?

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Ah, that's right, good call. But now that you have me thinking, you sure it's Temp and not Grenache?

Yeah pretty sure. I think the just and tinta to the end of Garnacha.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yeah pretty sure. I think the just and tinta to the end of Garnacha.

Went and grabbed one of my huge wine tomes. You were bang on. Regional name for Temp.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went and grabbed one of my huge wine tomes. You were bang on. Regional name for Temp.

What trust
plain.gif
laugh.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Opened a 2008 Brewer-Clifton Chard last night. Very odd experience. I couldn't decide if it was too astringent or what, but I found it to be just a bit, "meh". Gets lots of good reviews and when I bought it in the store it was based on a bottle they had open for sampling so I must have liked it at the time. Only finished half last night. Wonder if I'll like the second half better.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What trust
plain.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

The entry lists about ten regional names for it. Way to confuse us.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

The entry lists about ten regional names for it. Way to confuse us.

I know right!

This is my fav though: Ull de Llebre

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Opened a 2008 Brewer-Clifton Chard last night. Very odd experience. I couldn't decide if it was too astringent or what, but I found it to be just a bit, "meh". Gets lots of good reviews and when I bought it in the store it was based on a bottle they had open for sampling so I must have liked it at the time. Only finished half last night. Wonder if I'll like the second half better.

You get a chard that's astringent and you've got problems.
laugh.gif
I'm not big on heavy tannins in my white wine - some Montrachets get pretty tannic and I'm not a fan. Some people love it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Two bottle night. Second is 2007 Barnett Vineyards Pinot Noir Tina Marie Vineyard. An extremely good bottle of Cali Pinot. Perfect garnet red, star bright, medium intensity. Nose is very clean, red fruit and pepper driven. Medium bodied. Great taste of red cherries, white pepper, light tannins, perfect level of acid. This is a really good bottle of wine.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smaller Timer - $8.99 at Trader Joes. Picket Fence 2007 Pinot Noir Still too noobish to detect a lot, but very fruit forward. Cranberry?
783c6892.jpg
Brancaia Tre 2008 Love this. Again, can't tell you much other than I want moar! Detect dark fruits. Very balanced from start to finish. Not as peppery on the finish as the Le Volte I had a week or so ago.
cb238194.jpg

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BC2012
laugh.gif
I'm not big on heavy tannins in my white wine - some Montrachets get pretty tannic and I'm not a fan. Some people love it.

It's unusual for whites to show much tannin. Tannin comes from skin contact, and most whites don't see much of that. Tannin in white wines is more likely from extended oak contact.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BC2012
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
It's unusual for whites to show much tannin. Tannin comes from skin contact, and most whites don't see much of that. Tannin in white wines is more likely from extended oak contact.

Astringent was the wrong word. Like 180 degrees wrong. I think the food pairing had me fooled. I figured out the second night that it was actually more acidic than astringent. The first night it just seemed out of balance. However, I think it may have been a poor food pairing. I had paired it with a spicy chicken dish and the wine was fighting the food. The second night I had a fish with a mild mango salsa and it paired much better with the sweetness of the salsa. Still have a couple of bottles left. I will give it a second chance later and see how it comes out.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Astringent was the wrong word. Like 180 degrees wrong. I think the food pairing had me fooled. I figured out the second night that it was actually more acidic than astringent. The first night it just seemed out of balance. However, I think it may have been a poor food pairing. I had paired it with a spicy chicken dish and the wine was fighting the food. The second night I had a fish with a mild mango salsa and it paired much better with the sweetness of the salsa. Still have a couple of bottles left. I will give it a second chance later and see how it comes out.

I think the vineyards used by BC are cool climate sites which would result in higher acid wines. I also think they don't let their chardonnays go through malolactic fermentation, which would further explain the characteristics you found in the wines.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a bottle of Valmiñor Albariño 2009 the other night to go along with this and found it quite nice. Just the right amount of fresh fruit sweetness and crisp but not too much in any single dimension. A well-balanced white wine.

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
I think the vineyards used by BC are cool climate sites which would result in higher acid wines. I also think they don't let their chardonnays go through malolactic fermentation, which would further explain the characteristics you found in the wines.

I'm almost certain Brewer Clifton allows their chards to go through MLF, and they are fully oaked, so the tannic quality could be from the barrel and the high acidity that you mentioned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads