• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Retailer Appreciation Thread

enigma77

Reaction score
Dude just tell us who it is. Those of us who shop a lot online like hearing about retailers who screw other people over not because of some schadenfreude thing but so we can be more wary shoppers.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by baba booey
My credit card company issued me a provisional credit for the amount and they are investigating. I would rather not stir the pot with a sponsor until the case is sorted out. I more or less wanted opinions on retailers that offer the insurance option or retailers that purchase the insurance themselves on larger $ items. I have never owned a business like that, but the philosophy of not taking any responsibility once it leaves the door is somewhat wrong.

you need to mention the name of the store. why on earth would you take the time to write this **** w/o giving us a name. WHO IS THE RETAILER? you are doing us a favor by telling us as well!

baba booey

Reaction score
^^This is the reason I do not want to give names. They did not really screw me over and it would be unfair to them to say that. I just think they could have done a better job with either offering insurance or providing it for the customer on larger orders. I also do not understand why they would not provide me with the claim through UPS that I am entitled to, even though it is only $100.

I realize how powerful a simple google search for the retailer could come up with this thread near the top of a search...scares away potential business. I am not ready to throw them under the bus.

I shop online for all of my clothing, I have to where I live. Quite a few online retailers do not offer the option to purchase insurance, at least that is what I have found. So, are retailers providing it anyway? If it is not offered to the buyer at the time of purchase the retailer should be doing themselves a favor and purchasing it on their own or requiring a signature in person. Would you want $600 worth of clothing left on your front door during the middle of the day?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^This is the reason I do not want to give names. They did not really screw me over and it would be unfair to them to say that. I just think they could have done a better job with either offering insurance or providing it for the customer on larger orders. I also do not understand why they would not provide me with the claim through UPS that I am entitled to, even though it is only $100.

I realize how powerful a simple google search for the retailer could come up with this thread near the top of a search...scares away potential business. I am not ready to throw them under the bus.

I shop online for all of my clothing, I have to where I live. Quite a few online retailers do not offer the option to purchase insurance, at least that is what I have found. So, are retailers providing it anyway? If it is not offered to the buyer at the time of purchase the retailer should be doing themselves a favor and purchasing it on their own or requiring a signature in person. Would you want $600 worth of clothing left on your front door during the middle of the day?

it makes no sense why you would say anything then.

its okay to provide criticism insofar as the information is true. that is how people learn ...

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^This is the reason I do not want to give names. They did not really screw me over and it would be unfair to them to say that. I just think they could have done a better job with either offering insurance or providing it for the customer on larger orders.

I mean, your supposedly main purpose is asking 'should there be an issurance option'. But the very fact that you mention the whole forum affiliate thing (over and over) just screams I want to tell, I really do, but am not going to now. Your posts are pretty ambiguous.

But to answer your, ostensibly, main question: no, I wouldn't think twice about worrying about insurance for UPS because I always associate UPS with getting to the destination no matter what. It wouldn't suprise me that some retailers might think that to. Of course, I'm not in the US and domestic orders may be different, but for me UPS is synonymous with signature confirmation, getting the package to me, and leaving with 30% of my money. I'm probably being naive, but if anyone asked me if I wanted an insurance option on a UPS package, I would have said, "why? It's UPS.."

baba booey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
they did screw you over you genius, they took your money and you didn't get any clothes.
You did not read a word I said, so who is the genius? Go back and read my first post. The package shows as delivered from UPS. I was looking for opinions regarding sellers using insurance on orders and the option to purchase insurance...which I did not have the opportunity at the time of checkout. This is my gripe.

Since everyone seems to want it so bad...the shop was Mortar. Based on the tracking information I received the items were shipped and UPS shows the items as delivered. However, like I said I have no idea where they ended up. I never signed for anything and I never received them. They could have been delivered elsewhere, stolen, or marked as delivered and taken by the driver...who knows. Maybe UPS is to blame? My biggest complaint is my order was not insured and I never had the option to purchase insurance. I also think the order was big enough to require a signature in person. Is this something I should have requested or should the retailer take it upon themselves to offer this? In my opinion the seller should take responsibility for insuring the item.

baba booey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
I mean, your supposedly main purpose is asking 'should there be an issurance option'. But the very fact that you mention the whole forum affiliate thing (over and over) just screams I want to tell, I really do, but am not going to now. Your posts are pretty ambiguous.
I didn't realize it would be an issue, I was looking for opinions. People blow **** out of proportion and make assumptions...especially on the interweb.

Originally Posted by somatoform
But to answer your, ostensibly, main question: no, I wouldn't think twice about worrying about insurance for UPS because I always associate UPS with getting to the destination no matter what. It wouldn't suprise me that some retailers might think that to. Of course, I'm not in the US and domestic orders may be different, but for me UPS is synonymous with signature confirmation, getting the package to me, and leaving with 30% of my money. I'm probably being naive, but if anyone asked me if I wanted an insurance option on a UPS package, I would have said, "why? It's UPS.."
Wow, you place a lot of trust in UPS. I am not sure they are as great as you make them out to be.

pdsf

Reaction score
^ tough situation... I see where you are coming from esp re not wanting to reveal the name of the store initially.

Shouldn't this be called a "feedback" thread vs an "appreciation" thread as I am sure people would want to share positive and negative experiences (like they have)? Maybe I am just anal
smile.gif

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You did not read a word I said, so who is the genius? Go back and read my first post. The package shows as delivered from UPS. I was looking for opinions regarding sellers using insurance on orders and the option to purchase insurance...which I did not have the opportunity at the time of checkout. This is my gripe. Since everyone seems to want it so bad...the shop was Mortar. Based on the tracking information I received the items were shipped and UPS shows the items as delivered. However, like I said I have no idea where they ended up. I never signed for anything and I never received them. They could have been delivered elsewhere, stolen, or marked as delivered and taken by the driver...who knows. Maybe UPS is to blame? My biggest complaint is my order was not insured and I never had the option to purchase insurance. I also think the order was big enough to require a signature in person. Is this something I should have requested or should the retailer take it upon themselves to offer this? In my opinion the seller should take responsibility for insuring the item.
thanks for being open about the retailer. ive never shopped there but in no way would this incident deter me either, nor would i think it would deter anyone else. you do bring up a interesting point. but you as the consumer is protected in a situation like this. in other words, if you did not receive the merchandise you would not take the hit they would. i bet you if you ask them they provide some level of protection ... either shipping insurance or having the package require a signature to be delivered. i think this is a good practice for all companies no matter what the value. did you try to call them to ask if they provide some level of protection of does their on-line store not provide the option. if its the latter i cant think of a time when i made an order on-line when i was giving the option to add protection to the shipment ... only to add expedited shipping. anyway, its a lesson learned and im glad you got your ****.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I've shopped with Mortar with no issues, but I'll talk to them soon. Very few retailers seem to offer insurance. Some do require a direct signature, which is a pretty needless PITA in Moscow, ID, but is probably a good thing to require in say, LA or Boston. BTW, you guys are going to like our newest affiliate, I think. They are Europe based, and offer Stephan Schneider and Dries van Noten, among other designers, so we are pretty excited.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Roden has always treated me unbelievably well and the SAs there are great. Aside from the change rooms which I'm not too sold on, their new space is awesome too and finally Van has an Alden stockist. Win win win.

I echo any sentiments of positivity re: the service offered by Tres Bien as well, they have been excellent to me through 3 orders I've made from them.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems like the RG in-person experience is a bit different than the online experience. I have seen tons of posts like AR's about the actual store, and then the online ordering experience doesn't really fit.

baba booey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
thanks for being open about the retailer. ive never shopped there but in no way would this incident deter me either, nor would i think it would deter anyone else.

you do bring up a interesting point. but you as the consumer is protected in a situation like this. in other words, if you did not receive the merchandise you would not take the hit they would. i bet you if you ask them they provide some level of protection ... either shipping insurance or having the package require a signature to be delivered. i think this is a good practice for all companies no matter what the value. did you try to call them to ask if they provide some level of protection of does their on-line store not provide the option. if its the latter i cant think of a time when i made an order on-line when i was giving the option to add protection to the shipment ... only to add expedited shipping.

anyway, its a lesson learned and im glad you got your ****.

Just to clarify, I never received my order. I have called them a few times and they have communicated with me. I can see their side of things, the order shows as delivered from UPS. What more can they do? I am just saying, it would have been nice to have the option to purchase insurance or request to sign in person. Better yet, the retailer should cover their own butt. I am not home during the day and would rather not have UPS toss $600 worth of crap on my front door.

shootspeed

Reaction score
notable experiences so far:

Blackbird:
ordered a cardi from them around the afternoon. everything seemed fine but then a few hours later i receive an e-mail stating that the item was sold earlier that day and that the size i ordered wasn't suppose to be shown as available. definitely a
ffffuuuu.gif
moment as i decided to wait a day before making the order. anywho, i was also left a voicemail about it and was given a 20% discount on a next purchase.

another time, they announced a discount code that would be available to the next 100 or so people (i forget the exact number) on fb and twitter. i made a purchase the week before and commented on the fb post about how i wish i made the purchase now instead of back then. an hour or two later i get a message from Nicole, basically giving me a 30% off code and free shipping. pretty awesome.

Context:
i made a pre-order for the Alden tankers about a month before they would be available. well that day comes and i did not receive any e-mails about my order. i wait a week, thinking maybe it would take some time considering i only made the order a month before the release. i send out an e-mail after that passes with no contact and it turns out that the guys at Context lost my pre-order and that my size was not available anymore. they offer to send me the 8E they had left (originally ordered a 8.5D) and take $100 off. so i go with that offer and receive the boots in a few days. they end up fitting perfectly, with an unexpected discount.

another time, i e-mailed them about the availability of a jacket and asked if there were any flash sales coming up soon. i get a response stating that there would be one in a few days and that they would give me the jacket for the discounted price now. i bought it right away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads