• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Purchase Club (January -AND- February 2011)

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In.

I have a couple items already paid for and shipping from Brooks Brothers but they were purchased the 29th or 30th.

This could be tougher than expected for me though since I almost pulled the trigger on a new Sinn yesterday but decided to search around a bit more. The desire is still strong! I guess if it's still strong March 1st, I'll know I really want it.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is now, the list of participants for January & February 2011 (Starting January 06, 2011) These members have taken the challenge of making NO Clothing-related purchases until the end of February 2011.
  • Don Carlos
  • scurvyfreedman
  • ChicagoMediaMan
  • MrGoodBytes
  • jerrybrowne
  • PTWilliams
  • spcl-k
  • UrbanComposition
  • narcissism
  • acridsheep
  • in stitches
  • agsdad
  • LesterSnodgrass
  • thejohngalt100
  • Master Squirrel
  • lee_44106
  • Kraken
  • dragon8
  • ITGER
  • tone76
  • facebookdigg123
  • Geoff Gander
  • jdldore
  • TintoTerra
  • grit
  • GucciMonster
  • deadly7
  • Michigan Planner
  • Man Of Lint
If you are feeling desperately weak, use this thread for support. There are many veterans here who have taken the challenge before so we are in good company. Any and all infractions must be honestly posted. Let's see how we do. Good luck everyone. Edit- Late entries:

• aleksandr (Joined JAN 07)
    • Gong Tao (Joined JAN 07)
    • sonlegoman (Joined JAN 09)
    • thenanyu (Joined JAN 10)
    • Duppy (Joined JAN 10)
    • FidelCashflow (Joined JAN12)
DOG HOUSE Still on the list but in the Penalty Box:
frown.gif
acecow (1 violation (JAN08) Zegna Monks $100)
frown.gif
TTO (1 violation (JAN15) or possibly more)
frown.gif
frown.gif
w.o.e.is.me. (2 violations (JAN16) 2 Mabitex)
frown.gif
= Violation (spending against the rules) One
frown.gif
for each violation.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please do not include me in your challenge.

Gong Tao

Reaction score
I'm late but I would like to get on the list.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be the first one. I was searching for Disney Hall tickets on craigslist and suddenly saw an ad for Zegna XXX Couture black monks in my size, perfect condition, for a $100 pick up. I couldn't pass this opportunity. Now, I have lovely (and I mean lovely) shoes for a $100 and all they need is a good polishing. I have no regrets.

I won't be making any more purchases, as this was a purely accidental one, but I felt the need to be honest about it. I'd like to be left on the list, but rules are rules. Decide as you will.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I'll be the first one. I was searching for Disney Hall tickets on craigslist and suddenly saw an ad for Zegna XXX Couture black monks in my size, perfect condition, for a $100 pick up. I couldn't pass this opportunity. Now, I have lovely (and I mean lovely) shoes for a $100 and all they need is a good polishing. I have no regrets.

I won't be making any more purchases, as this was a purely accidental one, but I felt the need to be honest about it. I'd like to be left on the list, but rules are rules. Decide as you will.

Technically, you have commited an un-fogiveable sin to the rules.
You now get one of these >
frown.gif

But to keep encouraging you, I'll create a new category for infractions.
Perhaps with this now out of your system you'll still make it through the rest of the challenge.
Consider yourself still, IN (minus 1 violation).
smile.gif

Please post a photo of the monks in the Shoe Damage thread here:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ht=shoe+damage

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahha! Great, I won't screw up anymore. Promise! Thank you.
shog[1].gif

(By the way, they are single-buckle monks.)

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok Ace, I updated the score card. just scroll up.
You deserve to stay in because you were honest. I hope any others who are weak will be as honest.
Keep up the good fight.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I applaud this group (from the sidelines) for kicking off 2011 with a period of restraint. Anyone recognize the irony of this thread being embedded in what is surely one of the internet's most temptation-laden sites? Seems akin to sexaholics anonymous meetings being held at the Pink Rhino or the AVN awards... kudos if it's all part of the challenge, but it seems to make the abstention period more difficult than necessary.

Good luck to you gents.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Still going strong. It feels like it's been weeks already since I took the pledge. But it feels good.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
medtech_expat if you would like to join, I can list you as a late entry.

Personally I am using this respite for maintenance; sewing buttons, mending, lotioning and polishing shoes, etc. and going through my clothes in preparation for a massive purge.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, but I'd be totally screwed out the gate. I have two appointments with my tailor and time on the ground in Naples, London, Vienna & NYC. I'd be Lord of the Manor for about a week.
eh.gif

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a former member of SF may have said in response to this thread, I regret to say that I cannot make it this month.

Good luck to you all!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads