• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New car for an upwardly mobile young professional

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
It's not terribly advisable to drop 30k on a 2 seater sports car with a stiff suspension either. It's not a great daily driver or utility car (wtf are you going to fit in there? a briefcase?) or something he's likely going to want to be driving for 5+ years.

That's exactly why I decided to buy the G35 over the 350Z. Same price range, but with the G35 you get 4 seats, luxury, much better interior and much better service (Infiniti over Nissan). Believe it or not, a Nissan salesman told me to "f__k off" (in those words) when I told him I had decided to go with the G35 :)

jkennett

Reaction score
5-8 years is long time in car years. I'd go with something fairly classic looking and reliable. 3 series styling would have been ideal since they don't change too dramatically. However, that's a bad idea with the reliability in mind. I'd go for a lightly used Acura TSX if I were in your position.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest you Die Yuppie Scum!!

Gtea

Reaction score
From a current Civic owner, get the new Sonata.

1st year of car cycle, dependable, low maintenance, great gas mileage, low cost, etc. I used to own a Hyundai and the quality of current Hyundais are better than Honda from my experience. They are still trying to prove themselves so they have to make their product better and lower price.

Also if you get it at the right time and discount, you might get it cheaper than a used one. Do some research.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kia Optima. Saw one in person the other day. Saw it from a distance and it had my attention. Didn't know what it was but knew it was "special." When I realized it was an 18K Kia I was genuinely impressed. One of the few cars in this range where you could actually have some pride of ownership. Hiring Audi's talent was a good move.
2011-Kia-Optima-7.jpg
I hope the brake calipers don't come red as standard.
2011-kia-optima-interior.jpg
Amusing similarity to the A4 interior:
audi-a4-interior.jpg

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Kia Optima.
Hiring Audi's talent was a good move.

Interesting. What Audi talent have they hired?

matt22616

Reaction score
You should look for a late model import broker in your area. My family buys all of our cars from one. These guys just buy them when the 30K lease is up and sell them for nothing. I got an 08 VW Passat for 15K w/ 30K miles about a year ago. Looks good, practical, great gas mileage. http://donohooauto.com/

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeO
Peter Schrayer I believe.

Yes. The fact that the acquisition of one individual has resulted in a drastic change for the better in the attractiveness and desirability of an very downmarket auto maker really makes me wonder if the reason for all the ugly cars on the road is due to a severe lack of good talent in the auto design industry. How else do you explain Acura for the last ten years? I wonder how much they paid Schrayer, then..

ennui

Reaction score
I saw many Optimas in Seoul last year. I remember thinking to myself that it would instantly be the most attractive-looking car in its class if they brought it stateside. Though the wheels are somewhat polarizing.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can someone explain what "upwardly mobile" even means?

what a jackass lol

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
can someone explain what "upwardly mobile" even means?

what a jackass lol

It generally means your future social and financial prospects are bright because of your job. Its not a particularly sinister phrase.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics