• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones Chukka (200 Last)

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of picking this up. Anyone have any experience with this last? It comes unlined in a D width, so I'm a little unsure how it compares to, say, the 337 last (in which I take a 10E UK.)

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laer Surtep
A 10E UK is a US 10 1/2 C. It's a slimmer than average shoe. An English D is a US B. Most of C&J and other top maker shoes are either an F (medium) and a US D or narrower. C&J only makes a G width (a US E) in some models.

WHat? Go away

Tomboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
I was thinking of picking this up. Anyone have any experience with this last? It comes unlined in a D width, so I'm a little unsure how it compares to, say, the 337 last (in which I take a 10E UK.)

As you are aware, when you move from one last to another, the fit can get dicey. Some people end up wearing the same size, while others have to go up (or down) a half-size. Unfortunately, theres no 100% absolute answer; it's trial and error.

While I don't have any experience with the 337 last (too poor with 2 boys in college), I wear the same size in the Chiltern (224 E last), Chukka (200 D last) and Westbourne (348 E last). In comparison, I found that the 224 E last fit like a US D+ width; the 200 D last fit like a US D width; and the 348 E last fit like a US D- width. With each shoe, I tried on a half-size up or down from the initial size just to be sure that I was getting the best "fit" for me.

If you live close to a Barney's, they show that they carry the Chukka--albeit with the Danite sole instead of the leather sole. So, maybe you could stop in and try them on. That way, you'll know for sure.

Originally Posted by Laer Surtep
A 10E UK is a US 10 1/2 C. It's a slimmer than average shoe. An English D is a US B. Most of C&J and other top maker shoes are either an F (medium) and a US D or narrower. C&J only makes a G width (a US E) in some models.

While some UK manufacturers use F to denote their medium width shoe, C&J uses E. Even then, as I described above, theres no rhyme or reason to their--or many shoe manufacturer's, lettering system. The last makes all the difference, so, as I stated above, it becomes trial and error.

skeptic

Reaction score
I own two shoes on the 348 last in 9.5 E and the Chukka in 10 D (UK sizes) in the snuff suede. The Chukka is definitely a width narrower than the 348's. I tried on 9.5 D in the Chukka; it's certainly shorter--tight enough in the toebox that I sized up.

As far as I can tell, the E width is close to US D (depending on the last) and the D close to C (all depends again). I can measure the outsoles and insoles if you wish, but it's dicey as the above poster mentioned.

The shape is sleek enough but not pointy like the Tetbury. Perfect and versatile I think.

You may see them labeled 'D' width in the American market which could be an American D. (Mine are a UK D.) In any case, I've seen them in an UK E fitting as well. Robert Old has some special colors in E.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm planning on trying them on in person, I just wanted some info beforehand because... well, this is weird, but twice in the past I've tried shoes on in the store and they felt good, and then after walking around in them a few hours I realized they were too snug. Went up half a size and they felt much better, despite that half size up feeling a tad loose in the store. I didn't want to make the same mistake twice.

I'm a 9.5E in the Connaught and Westfield and a 10E in the 337; I'll probably start with the 10D in the Chukka since I think the last itself is wider than the 337 but this is compensated by it being a D width. And go from there.

Tomboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
Yeah, I'm planning on trying them on in person, I just wanted some info beforehand because... well, this is weird, but twice in the past I've tried shoes on in the store and they felt good, and then after walking around in them a few hours I realized they were too snug. Went up half a size and they felt much better, despite that half size up feeling a tad loose in the store. I didn't want to make the same mistake twice.

I'm a 9.5E in the Connaught and Westfield and a 10E in the 337; I'll probably start with the 10D in the Chukka since I think the last itself is wider than the 337 but this is compensated by it being a D width. And go from there.

Years ago when I was in college, I had a PT job selling men's clothing and shoes. One day, I was talking to one of the shoe reps and he told me that people should buy their shoes later in the day or at least do their shoe shopping after they've done most of their other shopping for the day because your feet tend to swell up the more you walk.

At first, I thought he was just messing with me until I experienced the same thing you did. So, now, if I have shoe shopping on my list, I save it for the last event before I go home. Or, if all I'm doing is buying shoes that day, I will go later in the day--and meander around a bit before I go into the store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads