• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
I would say the Grant Last. While the Barrie may be a bit more generous in terms of volume, I have found the Grant to have a similiar fullness to the Barrie and narrower in the heel. I have a pair of the Cigar Shell captoe boots, and have found this combination to make for a very comfortable boot.

Are you same size in Barrie and Grant? Or are you 1/2 larger in Grant i.e. more TTS?

MartinLil

Reaction score
My love for Aldens is how I found this forum. What an awesome thread, guys!

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
Are you same size in Barrie and Grant? Or are you 1/2 larger in Grant i.e. more TTS?

I actually find it TTS. I know so size down 1/2 size but I found that didn't work for me. Perhaps because my feet are slightly wide. It could also be that I wear thicker socks with the boot which offsets the 1/2 size.

Are you looking at a particular boot / shoe?

FWIW, I also have the BBBF Longwing which is on the Grant last and I find that TTS as well.

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
is leather soul planning on getting the indy in #8 again? or maybe the 4060 in #8?
I believe the #8 Indy is a regularly stocked item at LS (i.e. it gets reordered). Not sure if they carry the 4060 (Grant last captoe). Personally, I think the #8 Plaza last captoe that LS carries is stunning and more attractive than the 4060.

Aries83 has a fine example of the #8 Plaza captoe
photo2.jpg

It should also be noted that while other outfits offer a variation of the Indy boot, there are slight differences - mainly in the welt. The J Gilbert version has a regular welt (close heel?), and the Shoemart version has a 360 degree reverse welt (and all eyelets), whereas the LS version has the reverse welt and close heel like the original 405.

Originally Posted by Kraken
Just got a pair of Kudu Ultimate Indy boots but I noticed something odd. The top stitching on top of the left boot is dull and darkened while the one on the right boot is much brighter and makes a huge contrast. This is pretty obvious and you can see it easily in light and even in the dark as the stitching on the right boot sticks out. Is this normal and will the stitching on the right boot dull out pretty quick? Otherwise should this be exchanged as the stitching tends to remain contrasted?

I can post pics by tommorow if needed.

Thanks.

If you're worried about having too much contrast, that is easy enough to solve. Take some dirt and rub it into the mocc toe stitching where you find it too bright. Eventually the stitching darkens with dirt, conditioner, polish, etc. so I wouldn't worry about them staying white for too long. In fact, many people don't like the contrast stitching and applying brown polish to match the leather is one of the first things they do.

If the boots fit you well and you like the styling of them, I see no reason to exchange them. Just enjoy and wear those boots for many years to come.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nice pickup on the brown CXL PTBs from Winn Perry.
I've got a pair of those too. There's a bit of a story behind them.

Back in March of last year WP was taking pre-orders for a brown CXL longwing with commando sole for delivery in the fall so I ordered a pair.
October rolls around it turns out that Alden made PTBs rather than longwings.
I'd have rather had longwings but I liked the PTBs enough to get them instead. Plus WP sweetened the deal and I was happy.

darnold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Nice pickup on the brown CXL PTBs from Winn Perry.
I've got a pair of those too. There's a bit of a story behind them.

Back in March of last year WP was taking pre-orders for a brown CXL longwing with commando sole for delivery in the fall so I ordered a pair.
October rolls around it turns out that Alden made PTBs rather than longwings.
I'd have rather had longwings but I liked the PTBs enough to get them instead. Plus WP sweetened the deal and I was happy.

Those LWBs sound great... did they reorder?

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
The new problem will be: since the new Barrie last fits true to size, the old one doesn't...so what if a store or someone is selling a pair of new or used Barrie last from last year and is not aware of the change? Or what if I'm buying a pair of Indy's on eBay and I think they will fit because of the size correction, and they don't? .

I didn't mean they should change now, I was just wondering why they sized them that way originally.

Kraken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
If you're worried about having too much contrast, that is easy enough to solve. Take some dirt and rub it into the mocc toe stitching where you find it too bright. Eventually the stitching darkens with dirt, conditioner, polish, etc. so I wouldn't worry about them staying white for too long. In fact, many people don't like the contrast stitching and applying brown polish to match the leather is one of the first things they do.

If the boots fit you well and you like the styling of them, I see no reason to exchange them. Just enjoy and wear those boots for many years to come.

I was worried about the contrast as you were saying. I actually find it pretty funny since I guess you are right a little dirt will dull it out. The fit and everything else is awesome. Looking forward to wearing my first good casual boots!

harrythedog

Reaction score
in addition to the dirt, the oils from the leather will also darken the stitching after a few wears.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let us know what you think of the Brown CXL PTBs from Winn Perry. They look nice on their website....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads