• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

jussumguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Seven Grand. I've heard good things about that place

It was ok. Vibe-wise, pretty much like any other Downtown/Hollywood bar (not a big fan of that whole scene, personally). But they served me my favorite scotch thus far, so what can I say. I'll probably go back on a weekday, which I hear is less "scenester"-y.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^any worthwhile females?

jussumguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^any worthwhile females?

Let's just say it looked like there were lots of great personalities there that night.

I'm sure they're great people but for a downtown bar, the level of attractiveness of the women there was surprisingly low. Almost noticeably so. Maybe it was just one of those nights though.

But hey, we're all beautiful in our own way right?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
That's why I asked, would be surprising if there were at a whiskey bar. My cousin has gone a couple of times in the past year or so but I was never able to make it. There are quite a large number of attractive females roaming the streets of downtown any given night however.

jussumguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
That's why I asked, would be surprising if there were at a whiskey bar. My cousin has gone a couple of times in the past year or so but I was never able to make it. There are quite a large number of attractive females roaming the streets of downtown any given night however.

Yup. That's why I was so surprised when I walked in there. I mean, there were a lot of women in there. They just weren't all that attractive.

But like I said, all beautiful, own ways...

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked this up today at the package store, looking forward to trying it..

springbank-10-year-old-malt-whisky-53-p.jpg

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I am drinking a Nikka Whisky 10-year Old Yoichi right now. Great balance of smokiness, peatiness and sweetness.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to several whisk(e)y bars on both coasts and on other continents... always a sausage fest concept. The few (insanely bored) women are there with their dudes.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that was interesting. back to back: Ri rye and Yamazaki 12 yr. Ri was a civilized rye, but still raw american rye. Yamazaki, scotch from Japan, was like Japan repro denim: a perfect, too perfect, recreation of scotch, crystalline smokey golden scotch. Gotta say, though, my favorite was the taste the Bookstore's bartender gave me of Booker's Bourbon: a Wild Turkey's Wild Turkey of a bourbon, great taste once past the 63% alcohol burn. Great stuff.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8

This is excellent, one of my favorites for the money.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8

Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Got a bottle of Springbank 10 for my SF Secret Santa. Not going to lie to you, I love it.

bigstar[1].gif

Waistcoat

Reaction score
I tried an Ardbeg Blasda last night as the restaurant had a few decent scotches on their menu. My first Islay and I loved it, but I was wondering if that was it as far as the peat was concerned. Then I read it's actually less peated then the 10 yo Ardbeg, so I'm looking forward to trying an Ardbeg/Laphroig/Lagavulin now. I must say though, it was VERY different from the other Highland/Speysides that I've tried. The mouthfeel was kind of oily, and on the tongue about halfway through it felt like there was this strong kind of &quot;build up&quot; I don't know how else to describe it, that would limit me to a couple of drams at the most.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
I've been to several whisk(e)y bars on both coasts and on other continents... always a sausage fest concept. The few (insanely bored) women are there with their dudes.

lol. Add in good cocktail making and the women come, that's all you gotta do. I've seen so much fine trim at that bar I drink at, and women love to go there if a guy is paying, since the mixed drinks crest twenty bucks. I took Ant there and we watched a washed-up Korean actress make out with two nerdy looking guys in alternation at the bar sitting next to us as each guy took turns passing out - they'd been taking shots of black absinthe all night.

CaesarSTL

Reaction score
What is this thread doing on page 3? Bumping back to the top as I enjoy a glass of Bowmore 12 yr that I got as a Christmas present from the gf's father. Pretty good stuff for a not too expensive Islay, not the awesome peat of the Ardbeg 10 or the complexities of the Lagavulin 16 that I recently went through, but I'm happy with it!

Jared,

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Waistcoat
I tried an Ardbeg Blasda last night as the restaurant had a few decent scotches on their menu. My first Islay and I loved it, but I was wondering if that was it as far as the peat was concerned. Then I read it's actually less peated then the 10 yo Ardbeg, so I'm looking forward to trying an Ardbeg/Laphroig/Lagavulin now. I must say though, it was VERY different from the other Highland/Speysides that I've tried. The mouthfeel was kind of oily, and on the tongue about halfway through it felt like there was this strong kind of "build up" I don't know how else to describe it, that would limit me to a couple of drams at the most.

Blasda is vastly different than most Islay. Its interesting, but after finishing the bottle I had I'm not rushing to replace it. You nailed the oily mouthfeel though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads