• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlieu

Reaction score
I'm not too sure if this has been answered but how long those Alden Rochester Red Cedar shoe trees last? I have a few and the red cedar was pretty strong 6 months ago and I can't really smell the cedar anymore.
They I barely take them out of the shoe maybe just a couple of times in the last 6 months so just wondering how ofter you're suppose replace your shoe trees or not.

tlieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harrythedog
so i'm debating on a pair of shell indy's from the madison ave shop (thanks for the tip)! my only reluctance is the hand sewn stitching. will alden ever revist the machine stitching, or is this how it is going forward? anyone got inside scoop?

Hand sewn stitching is more worth your money cause one of the sewers poked themselves with the needle, it makes your shoe extra special. Worth the labour and money paid for in IMO.

Beetleything

Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
If everyone sizes down 1/2 on the Barrie last, why doesn't Alden just relabel what is currently a 10.5 --> 11 (etc) and then everyone can order TTS? I don't understand this.
I bought (in a shop) a pair of Alden LW's and found them TTS. I'm glad i bought in a shop and tried first- ohterwise i would have ordered a 1/2 size to small for me.

tlieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlieu
I'm not too sure if this has been answered but how long those Alden Rochester Red Cedar shoe trees last? I have a few and the red cedar was pretty strong 6 months ago and I can't really smell the cedar anymore.
They I barely take them out of the shoe maybe just a couple of times in the last 6 months so just wondering how ofter you're suppose replace your shoe trees or not.

Damn, I should preview my grammar before hitting the post button.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlieu
Damn, I should preview my grammar before hitting the post button.

Heh heh.

Lightly sand the trees and you'll get some cedar smell back.
Probably do it in a place that doesn't contact the shoe unless you eventually want smaller trees.
I don't think the scent does anything other than smell nice. You can get cedar oil too.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
I'm sure he does, I was interested in the color.

I've asked Mac previously what polish he uses and he replied Kiwi brown polish for his cigar shells.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is leather soul planning on getting the indy in #8 again? or maybe the 4060 in #8?

triumphman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
is leather soul planning on getting the indy in #8 again? or maybe the 4060 in #8?

poly, try jgilbert...i know they had a few in stock

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow - What polish do you occasionally hit these with?

thank you
i use the procedure-
1-wipe with a damp cloth
2- brush vigorously with horse hair shoe brush
3- buff with a smooth cloth
4- apply polish only after a minimum of eighteen wearing

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure he does, I was interested in the color.

kiwi brown

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2zowuih.jpg

ravello ptb

exhausted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
I saw them when I was there last month; good pick up...post pics.
Here's a pic
photo-8-1.jpg

40705, the white dots are dust that stick to the shoe

Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
What last are they on?

I don't know which last they're on, maybe someone here knows? I got sized 9.5EEE in these and 10.5E in 403.

Kraken

Reaction score
Just got a pair of Kudu Ultimate Indy boots but I noticed something odd. The top stitching on top of the left boot is dull and darkened while the one on the right boot is much brighter and makes a huge contrast. This is pretty obvious and you can see it easily in light and even in the dark as the stitching on the right boot sticks out. Is this normal and will the stitching on the right boot dull out pretty quick? Otherwise should this be exchanged as the stitching tends to remain contrasted?

I can post pics by tommorow if needed.

Thanks.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
Which last is most like the Barrie in the toe box but narrower in the heel?

I would say the Grant Last. While the Barrie may be a bit more generous in terms of volume, I have found the Grant to have a similiar fullness to the Barrie and narrower in the heel. I have a pair of the Cigar Shell captoe boots, and have found this combination to make for a very comfortable boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads