• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
The mac method described here http://theagatineeyelet.wordpress.co...he-mac-method/
Basically, brush them. A lot. And then brush them some more.

This method works well. Before each wear I typically wipe mine with a damp rag then brush and buff vigorously. Consistent with the mac method, I apply a thin coat of wax after about a dozen wearings.

This type of maintenance makes shell good for travel when I only want to take one pair of shoes. I don't have worry with bringing polish along or be too concerned with wearing the same shoes daily.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
And yea, I'm **literally** about to have a seizure. Cmon mate, figure of speech. Having said that, I did spend nearly $3+k on shell shoes alone (which im positive many readers will scoff at my microtimerness
smile.gif
) and when unexpected things which look to be damaging occurs, yes it upsets me. Is that far fetched for you, "well-kept" ? lol

Well, I wear my shells in every circumstance and weather, and I live in the Northeast. I have many pairs, one of which I've worn for fourteen years - they've been in countless countries and taken every kind of abuse, walked literally about fifteen thousand miles. I treat them well - shoes trees, etc - but don't baby them or worry about them and they look great. My forum user name comes from a compliment my late father gave me about this pair, btw.

So I stand by my suggestion. Don't worry about them. You'll be happy with how they look, miles down the road.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this post doesn't really belong anywhere else, since these aren't Alden
wink.gif
so I'll just throw it here anyways these are AE Hinsdale bought of B&S here. I think they date from the mid 80's or so, I dunno, but they didn't have a lot of mileage on them when I bought them. I had vibram put on the sole right away, and they recently needed a new heel. my shoe guy put on a full Vibram heel (all rubber). at the same time he also fully cleaned them. I asked him what he did, and he kind of explained it quickly, but it was a 4 step process that involved stripping everything off, cleaning, polishing, and buffing. he recognized they were shell, and has a process he follows for that. he did say that the sheen was from the oils in the leather, etc, so I trust him! they look great
IMAG0104.jpg

well-kept

Reaction score
^ It was a pair of Hinsdales I talked about in the post above yours. Love them. Great shoes and yours look fabulous.

BTW, I have Vibram sole protectors on mine too, have changed them a few times and so have never had to have them re-soled. Hope you get as many years and miles on yours.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thx for the tips and apprec the man method link.

My initial inspiration for using so Much product (besides wax) was that I was under the impression that shell (for lack of a better word) perspires a lot of collagen on a regular basis and that frequent use of various shell creams and Venetian creams would add back the collagen that's lost thus replenishing it's lustre... That the more you condition and replenish, he deeper the color and higher teh shine.

Is this a load?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a cordovan cream from Allen Edmonds that I used a few times but it doesn't do it for me,the leather gets dull afterwards. Where can I buy some cordovan paste wax? Any links?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laer Surtep
I've always found that people who wear cordovan look like horse's arses
lol8[1].gif

Do you have anything useful to contribute to anything?

unclesam099

Reaction score
Which is the "after" pic?

Looks like L is before and R is after...?

Good information here, as I'm researching before making my first purchase.

well-kept

Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

Or "Real Stones" perhaps rolling backwards... Petrus Real.... so clever

JensenH

Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

I'm surprised that not more people got your joke.

Well done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads