• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero

I think they've obviously got large scale interior installations in mind to make up for the collection's modest size.

lolwhut? i imagine it has something to do with his collection of Richard Serra sculptures.

happy to have a new museum, but i'm surprised Broad is going this route. i would have thought that the stagnant Getty and Norton Simon collections would have convinced him that private museums of this sort seem to invariably become stale. very curious what his personal restrictions on acquisitions and the details of his will and estate will be.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm thinking quantity. It's hard to attract repeat visitors when you have a smaller collection in number of works unless you focus on rotating exhibitions and installations. There aren't enough works to keep rotating the permanent collection. I think he's only got about 1500 works. I think the design will work really well on that basis.

Wikipedia says 500 in a personal collection and 1500 in the museum trust.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
dzn_The-Broad-by-Diller-Scofidio-and-Renfro-1.jpg

Tripe:
Tripe.GIF

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I'm thinking quantity. It's hard to attract repeat visitors when you have a smaller collection in number of works unless you focus on exhibitions and installations. I think he's only got about 1500 works.
I'd be surprised if that's the case. His acquisition staff is larger than MoCA's. edit: comment was for when you said 500. i still think 1500 is low, but that's a good size for establishing a permanent collection. I'm guessing that also does not include editions, prints, and some other mediums.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Ai WeiWei could put like....a gillion fake sunflower seeds in there.

edit: just checked, each space is about 41,000 sq feet.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Ai WeiWei could put like....a gillion fake sunflower seeds in there.
our air is bad enough, thanks. also, i'd be more excited if broad's collection wasn't for the most part boring as ****. all the marquee stuff you've seen in every modernism text book ever, and the other stuff is just lesser known work by Koons and Hirst. blech. hey gome, there's a great book on what you just noticed. couldn't find a google image but here it is on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/Anatomy-Nature-F...item255f97033d

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
that cover image is way cooler than rigid tripe.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Speaking of museums, I was looking at photos in a book of the Louisiana Museum in Copenhagen today. It's one of the really great modernist buildings that's overlooked by the public in the states. Very viewer friendly.
4648396516_720dde86f0_z.jpg
4647781565_994aa52b2e_z.jpg
4647777021_747c2238cb_z.jpg
4648398320_c9c78d8a2e_z.jpg
5333552421_a7f4b104c2_z.jpg
4647783039_7ed1c9ba2e_z.jpg

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Handsome complex. Looks like it could be part of a private school in the Northeast.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I can nearly picture a young Conne and his waspy entourage walking through the grounds with the creepy Robin Williams figure, as they ponder the nature of beauty seen in emaciated sculptures.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
Handsome complex. Looks like it could be part of a private school in the Northeast.

I was thinking the same thing. Looks like my dorm.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like my dorm.

really? I don't know of any buildings on the campus that look like that. Unless you're talking about your HS.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
really? I don't know of any buildings on the campus that look like that. Unless you're talking about your HS.

High school, yes. A fair amount of (to my eye) non-extraodrinary mid-century stuff, in addition to the old brick buildings.

44498189.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of museums, I was looking at photos in a book of the Louisiana Museum in Copenhagen today. It's one of the really great modernist buildings that's overlooked by the public in the states. Very viewer friendly.
It is indeed viewer friendly ... and is set amid lush greenery ... all overlooking the Øresund separating Denmark from Sweeden. It's museum heaven for those who are equally fond of art & nature.

Originally Posted by mharwitt
RSS, why don't you ever post in the architecture thread?
What were you saying?
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics